Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-19-2000, 04:03 PM
Inactive User

Do I really want to do this? I purchased a Spring Relocation Kit from Mopar Performance ($99) which is suppose to move the leaf springs in 3" per side for added tire clearance. Once I received the kit and saw what would need to be done I was not sure this would be the best thing to do and was hoping someone had gone through installing the kit and whether they were pleased with the results. You actually have to cut an area out of the longitudinal rear frame next to the front hanger to move the front spring hanger location to the frame itself. This was not to bad but then you have to move the original front hanger to the rear, for 70-74 Challengers, and weld it to inside of the longitudinal for the rear shackle mounting location pad. Then after all this you have to remove old spring pads, install new pads, and re-align your pinion angle. This all appears to me to harm the stability of whole rearend area. I definitely would not want to tackle this myself and would have the additional cost to hire someone to do the the cutting, welding, and installation. Also, how does this actually allow you to install larger tires? Do you have to shorten the axle also or purchase special rims? I do not want tires extending outside the rear wheel well?
Old 10-20-2000, 03:21 AM
HOT ROD JOHN

Thumbs up

I KNOW MANNY PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE THIS. YOU NEED TO PURCHASE RIMS WITH MORE BACKSPACING.I GOY A PRICE FOR ALL THE WELDING INVOLVED, MOVING SPRING PERCHES,MAKING MINI TUBS AND INSTALLING THEM.SETTING PINION ANGLE,ETC....500.00, WHICH SOUNDED FAIR.I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH POWER YOU ARE MAKING BUT I AM HAVEING PUTING MINE TO THE PAVEMENT ,SO I WAS THINKING OF TRYING IT.
Old 10-20-2000, 06:28 AM
Inactive User

I have done this mod in some A-bodies. It's not a big deal, less than one day job if you have decent equipment.
Old 10-21-2000, 07:28 AM
Inactive User

I also have thought about doing this to my Challenger. The place I called wanted $1500! That included shortening the diff. about 2", tho. I do have qualms about doing this cutting on a classic car! The alternative is to get the offset shackle kit and just move the springs in(about an inch)next to the longitudinal. You can then get a 10 inch slick in there using Super Stock springs. And with the right backspacing they wont stick out of the wheel wells. I have'nt done this yet but will probably have to next season when I go to nitrous. I am now running Hoosier Q.T. Pros(10.5 x 27.)with an 8 in. rim and 4.5 back spacing. This or a 275 width is about max with stock spring set-up. The stock tubs wont handle a 12 in. tire even if you could sqeeze one in there! I would say a overall(section) width of around 11 inches is about it! Hope this is of some help to you. Good luck!

------------------

Old 10-23-2000, 01:38 AM
Inactive User

You might not have to narrow the rear end if you can buy wheels with the right offset. You didn't say how wide of wheels/tires you plan on using. I went with the offset hangers on my '71 Cuda, and with 10" wide Centerlines I was running 12"wide X 29" Goodyear slicks.(I had about 1/4" clearance between sidewalls and leaf springs--I think the back spacing on the rims was 4.5" ) Hope this helps.

------------------
'98 Ram 4X4 V-10, '86 Daytona 498" Blown/Injected, '71 Cuda 340 W-2 heads & 4 speed
Old 10-24-2000, 05:46 AM
Inactive User

If the car isn't to radical I would use the offset spring package. It's an easy install!!!!
Just did it to my 71 Barracuda. 15x10" Weld Prostars 5 1/2" offset. With the slicks 28x10.5" M/T's there is about 3/4" space between the spring & the side wall. For street duty I have 15x10" Prostars with 4 1/2" offset with 295 50's. Looks a little goofy because it the tires are just at the edge outside edge of the wheel well.

Don't let setting the pinion angle scare ya all ya need is a protractor & some string with a nut on the end. (a poormans drive line angle indicator)

Good luck
V10

------------------
  • 71 Bcuda Gran Cp 440
  • 98 V10 SB Q2wd.
  • MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!!

[This message has been edited by V10nacuda (edited October 24, 2000).]