Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-09-2000, 02:11 AM

Question

I'm going from street/strip to full race and I need a good fuel system setup. Right now I have 2 Holley blue pumps going into a Y block and a 1/2" fuel line that goes to another Y block. Then coming out of the Y is 2 regulators that feed each bowl of a 1050 Dominator. Is this O.K. or should they be run in parallel with each line having its own regulator? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-09-2000, 07:27 AM
Inactive User

I think it's pretty much OK, but I wonder why do you need two regulators for one carb? I'v got a same kind of fuel system in my street & strip car, only the line is smaller -8AN hose all the way and one regulator that fdeeds the dominator. This has been good for 10.0's at over 135 mph.
Old 11-09-2000, 07:53 PM

DartGT66
The 1/2" single line that comes from the 2nd Y block comes out of that block with 2 separate lines, then is regulated to each bowl of the carb. Where did you place the regulator in your system and how did you feed each bowl? Wedgehead
Old 11-10-2000, 01:17 AM
Inactive User

I think you are better with the setup you have, rather than lose volume with one regulator, especially the Holley regs. I probably would upgrade to 1 BG 280 or 400 when the Holleys wear out and move to a BG 4 port or 2 port at that time. You can never have enough volume.
Old 11-10-2000, 02:39 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Isn't there anyone running a fuel system that incorporates a bypass? I have built several systems for customers using BG or Superflow pumps with a bypass. Pumping fuel only to the carb/regulators creates a stagnating condition. When the carb needles open there is a momentary drop in pressure until the pump or pumps catch up. With the bypass system the pump is continually looping the fuel.
Old 11-11-2000, 02:46 AM
Inactive User

a70Duster....
That's not the same thing. The type I mean is a fuel line returning from the engine fuel log to the tank....not an internal regulator.
Old 11-11-2000, 05:07 AM
Inactive User

I HAVE A HOLLY VOLUMAX PUMP AND A HOLLEY BIG PORT REGULATOR ITS A SIMPLE AND EFECTIVE SETUP

THE PUMP HAS 2 INLETS 1 OUTLET AND 1 BYPASS PORT

THE PUMP CAN BYPASS BACK TO THE TANK WITH NO NEED FOR A SECOND FUEL LINE RETURNING FUEL FROM THE CARB ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE TANK

THE HOLLEY BIG PORT REGULATOR WILL FLOW ENOUGH FUEL FOR MOST ALCOHOL SETUPS

I WOULD RECOMEND AVOIDING THE PAIN IN THE BUT JUNK A$$ FUEL LOGS

WITH A FUEL LOG YOU MUST DISASEMBLE EVERYTHING TO DO A JET CHANGE AND THEY ARE BULKY

WITH JUST THE REGULATOR YOU CAN RUN A FLEXABLE PUSH LOCK OR BRAIDED LINE FROM THE REGULATOR TO EACH BOWL OF THE CARB ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS REMOVE THE BOWL SCREWS SLIDE THE BOWL TO THE SIDE AND CHANGE YOUR JETS

[This message has been edited by JOHN SHERRED (edited November 10, 2000).]
Old 11-11-2000, 07:22 AM
Inactive User

I run the same system as J Sherred. The Holley Volumax is available in a 160 or 250 gallon per hour. I went with the 250 as it did not cost much more and the system will feed whatever I choose to build. Also run the Volumax regulator. Been in use for four years now with no troubles.
Old 11-11-2000, 10:18 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Yes, Nightri1, I run a bypass system and I love it!

Wedgehead, if you want to run a recirculating, aka bypass, aka return system, look at the Mallory 4309 regulator. It's a wide open design so you don't have the restriction of the Holley-type regulators, plus the fuel stays cooler (=more power) and it's easy on the pump (lets it run wide open all the time instead of restricting it). This also has the added benefit of quicker response to increased demand. I have mine mounted right next to the carb, #8 in, #8 return to tank, #4 line to gauge, and (2)#6 lines to carb bowls, so you can change jets or work on one end of the carb at a time. Mallory makes an even larger version for bigger/multi-carb situations. Check out this link: http://www.mrgasket.com/ftp/pdf/FuelSystemsM.pdf (Adobe Acrobat readable.)

Also, keep in mind the response on your other thread regarding failure of one pump causing a leanout, since the other pump will probably allow the engine to keep on running. May be better to run a single pump for that reason.

[This message has been edited by Racer Al (edited November 11, 2000).]
Old 11-13-2000, 04:21 AM
Inactive User

Question

How about Edgewater, Ohio?
Old 11-16-2000, 12:58 AM
Inactive User

Ram 1500, I've been close many times, but not Owingsville. I've heard rumors from more than one source regarding favoritism/cheating there. May have been just sour grapes, I don't know, but I like Clay City a lot, so they'll probably continue to receive my business if I'm going to travel that far.

Nightri1, I've wanted to try them out sometime but never have. I've met some people in southern IN that have raced there on a regular basis, and they seemed to like it.
Old 11-16-2000, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

Ram 1500:

The complete correct saying is actually: "gasoline's for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking and NITRO is for racing!"
Old 11-17-2000, 08:12 AM
Inactive User

In that order, Jack Z?

------------------

Old 11-17-2000, 08:09 PM
Inactive User

Ram1500, like I said, I'm not saying anything bad about them, and I'm glad to hear a different opinion. Hope to get up there one of these days. Anyway, we digress. Back to the fuel topic---Where's my alcohol?
Old 11-23-2000, 05:00 PM

It seems we got off track from my original post. If I want to use the 2 Holley blue pumps that I have for my setup what would be the best way to utilize them? I've also considered using the Volumax 250 and using one of the Holleys to feed my 200 hp N2O system alone. I used a T before for the N2O. Any ideas is greatly appreciated!!