Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-26-2000, 05:24 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

I like to watch NHRA drag racing on TV has often as possible. Once in awhile IHRA racing will be on. I think it is sponsered by Summit
Racing. Is it just me or is it true that the drag racers that are interviewed seem to carry themselves like NHRA's poorer brother ?
They both seem to carry the same corporate sponsers, but NHRA drag racers seem to carry themselves a bit more in a professional manner and in appearance too.
I apologize if I offended anybody.

Gene
Old 10-27-2000, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Gene...its you...just kiddin. The IHRA IS NOT the NHRA's poor little brother, they are more or less an alternative for those racers who dont like the expense of racing in the NHRA (or do not fit into the NHRA's "master plan"). The IHRA is more laid back, a lot of those guys are running on thier own money..even the "professionals". The payouts are just about the same, but the entry fees are considerably less.
Being a racer...we see things differently from the fans. To a racer its not what happens off track, its what happens on the track. If anyone tells you differently, then they are a fake just like JF. If the IHRA racers seem a little "unprofessional", its probably cuz they are pissed off about poor performance. Some people forgot that this sport isnt supposed to be like Candy Land where everyone prances around with a smile on their face and a song in their heart. They are human too.
Well thats my 2 cents (the fans and sponsors got off easy on this one...this is the edited version )

Mike "Dr Evil" Meier
1167 CF/SA Chrysler Le Baron
Old 10-29-2000, 03:59 AM
Inactive User

Mike,I follow on the S/SS forum also...how did your car do,or have you raced it yet??
Old 10-29-2000, 11:34 PM
Inactive User

If the NHRA racers seem more professional to you, it's probably because it costs them a hell of a lot more for them to race NHRA than it does to race IHRA. I have no hard feelings towards NHRA, being a member & having raced in thier bracket program for years. At this point in time I race IHRA brackets, because my local track is an IHRA affiliate. It is my opinion, that IHRA caters to the sportsman racer more than the NHRA does. This year alone, quite a few tracks have switched to the IHRA camp. I am loving it ! My only regret, will be if it grows to large, to fast. In closing, there is room for both organizations to hopefully prosper in the years ahead. Without them, where will we be? PS: I can't stand those sugar & candy interviews at the top end after a run!!!!!!!

------------------
BFRACN
Old 10-30-2000, 01:17 AM
Inactive User

Hey Meier,

I'm assuming the JF you're referring to is Force, so two questions.

1. How many fake championships have you won?

2. How many times has your butt been in a fake funny-car fire?
Old 10-30-2000, 01:23 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Well Chris...this weekend was a disappointment. I really wanted to debut it this weekend, but my appointment at the perf shop was cancelled, and I couldnt find a ride down to the track by the morning...so i bracket raced my Chebbie. The Le Baron should go at least .300 under on street tires I'm told. I got it up to 22lbs of boost but I'm gonna back it down till I get a better fuel pump. Hopefully next weekend I'll run it at the US vs the Rice Rockets event...with a better fuel pump.
Thats my story and I'm stickin to it
Mike "Dr Evil" Meier
1167 CF/SA Chrysler Le Baron
(Damn it..I just realized I forgot to have my nickname put on my name plate...ah I'll just have to get another one made up...I hate it when i think out loud)
Old 12-09-2000, 06:26 AM
Big Tuna

Biggrin

I have to agree with Belvidere'65. IHRA is alot friendlier to Sportsman and bracket racers. I bracket race with both sanctioning bodies, and the IHRA tracks are alot more oriented to the 'little guy'. I have alot of friends who race Stock, SS, SC, or SG, and they are usually not given the best treatment at NHRA National events. These guys spend alot of money on their equipment, and NHRA just kinda uses them for 'space-filler' between Nitro rounds.
As for the IHRA gaining more tracks, I have seen that too. I used to race points at RT66 in Joliet. Nascar bought the facility, and now there will be no more points program next year, because bracket racing doesn't make enough money. But, we are all still welcome to come to all their big events and spend lots of money! I will be racing alot more at IHRA tracks next year. (OK, I'll get off the soap-box now) Dennis
Old 12-09-2000, 06:28 AM
Big Tuna

Biggrin

I have to agree with Belvidere'65. IHRA is alot friendlier to Sportsman and bracket racers. I bracket race with both sanctioning bodies, and the IHRA tracks are alot more oriented to the 'little guy'. I have alot of friends who race Stock, SS, SC, or SG, and they are usually not given the best treatment at NHRA National events. These guys spend alot of money on their equipment, and NHRA just kinda uses them for 'space-filler' between Nitro rounds.
As for the IHRA gaining more tracks, I have seen that too. I used to race points at RT66 in Joliet. Nascar bought the facility, and now there will be no more points program next year, because bracket racing doesn't make enough money. But, we are all still welcome to come to all their big events and spend lots of money! I will be racing alot more at IHRA tracks next year. (OK, I'll get off the soap-box now) Dennis

(Sorry for the double-post, computer burped)

[This message has been edited by dschumers (edited December 09, 2000).]
Old 12-09-2000, 11:53 AM
Inactive User

I live near(60 mi)an IHRA track at Stanton, MI called Mid-Michigan Motor-Plex. I enjoy the sligtly laid back atmosphere! It's cool! Your ticket gives you free pit area access! Everey racer gets respect! AND its the home of PRO MOD!!!!!! Yeah! Need I say any more? It'll probally get more Hollywood as the racers get more TV exposure(Every Sun.@ 10:30 PM-TNN)
Old 12-09-2000, 03:29 PM
Inactive User

I have little experience with the IHRA, but for bracket racing I think the Summit Racing Series is a good program. It's the backing of NHRA that has brought these kind of programs to the little guy. Our track in South Dakota went to IHRA for a couple of years and the prob I saw was that it was the only one around. Made it nearly impossible to think about a traveling team for a bracket finals when you had to travel 500 to 700 miles
one way to get to another IHRA facility. Since I have moved they went back to NHRA and there are quite a few tracks in the division 5 area. It's too bad that the Route 66 track isn't going to have points races. I was worried about that when Las Vegas got there new track built but the racing has gotten better. More events and lots of specials.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:19 PM

We all know the origins of NHRA but where did the IHRA originate? And did it do so to spite NHRA? As I mentioned in another post, here in Minnesota our 3 tracks are NHRA. I know very little of the IHRA but do know from the rulebooks that the sportsman classes are very similar. I have also noticed when the camera’s are on nether racing body acknowledges the other.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Inactive User

I like IHRA sportsman racing much better. Also like the national event format better. In NHRA the .90 and S and SS guys are treated like a necessary evil. We just get in the way.

In IHRA they make you feel welcomed, old man Bader walk through the lanes and shake your hand and thank you for coming to his events... NHRA would rather you leave hence all the work they do to make it hard on the regular folks.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Garceau
NHRA would rather you leave hence all the work they do to make it hard on the regular folks.
Wow, I don't know what tracks you run but I never felt that at any NHRA track and event. Usally any problems are by track owners not NHRA.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Inactive User

It was in reference to the national event and the sportsman ranks. NHRA could care less about them... well they care about the income they generate, but not much else.

Local tracks it doesnt matter, your right its the management more than the sanctioning body.