Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-01-2000, 06:17 AM
Inactive User

what do you guys think of kb hyperutetic pistons verses trw forged and ross for a 440 that will see 6000 rpm and a powershot of no2. also what kind of diffrence will i see in the real world between raceflow and proflow valves verses standerd units ?
thanks you guys are a great help
larry
Old 03-01-2000, 06:51 PM
Inactive User

FYI: JC Whitney sells stainless valves. I ordered a set for my 516 BB heads. They were about $5.00 a peice less than other brands and the qualtiy was good. Didn't have any problems with fit or anything.
Old 03-02-2000, 12:17 AM
Inactive User

Larry,

Hyperutetic (sp) would be the way to go. A piston that is somewhere between stock cast aluminum and forged alum. as far as strength characteristics go.

BUT, if you're plan is to get involved w/ this "silly gas", you had better go for the forged units.
There is still no guarentee the forged units won't suffer damage in a "lean-out" situation, but they are your best bet.

BTW, If you build it right, a MOPAR typically doesn't require this "silly stuff" to out run the competition. You must be "new in town" like a former chebby owner! Welcome aboard! ;-)

Richard
Old 03-02-2000, 02:13 AM
long time Member

Biggrin

me and the machinest did some checking on both the race flows and the pro flows we ended up with the proflows do to their lighter weight i used stock lenth,and stock in.2.08 and stock ex. sizes though (they had to be back orderd)it takes two weeks to get them they also recomended bronse guides so we used them. their expensive but the machinest swears by them(never had a problem)we did a 5-angle valve job, bowl work, porting and gasket matched the in.&ex.so i dont now if the increse was just the valve or not. but this engine made 580 h.p. and601 f.t l.b.of torqe i used the 509. cam and 9333 springs so im happy anyway hope this helps mopar or no car see mine at http://hometown.aol.com/graffbcc3/mystudindex.html

[This message has been edited by morpower (edited March 01, 2000).]
Old 03-02-2000, 06:29 AM
Inactive User

hay MOpower nice ride !love them old cars.well anyway KB has a great web site worth the time to look at a lot of good info on quench and pistons.I had posted a QUESTION FOR 340KING a week or so ago you should read,he's vary good on this topic.Also Mopar muscle did a article Jan Feb,on small block smog heads and got them to flow better than X-heads .Well anyway most of the gains were from a 30* valve seat and using the Manley stainless valves .Plus bigger is not allways better .NOW this is my theory.let's say you take a garden hose with a screw type nozzle in the center you have that thing that look's like a nail(valve) and direct's the water, the more it go's out the more water will come out AROUND the valve.SO when it's all the way out you get a direct streem and less back presure so the hose can only let what's in the line out.Same as the manifold and the port's.so if the valves are to big it's like the nozzle is only half open and the water will not shoot forward .that's why opening the bowles and port's is so good for flow to go around the valves and shoot a streem of air in the cylinders and not put a restriction in the path so the air don't go side way's at the valve.So you try to get the valve as close to the size of the bowles .WEll that's my theory and i'm sticking to it!!!
Old 03-02-2000, 04:50 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

I agree with your theory SPeedy and I will stick by you and it too!!

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 03-03-2000, 03:30 AM

Well Speedy that is probably the best analogy for shrouding I have ever heard. This is really important on big block engines whose valves do not open on bore centerline. When you add in the cylinder wall effects, it really becomes important. Good Job Speedy!
Old 03-03-2000, 03:42 AM
Inactive User

Thank's guy's !!