Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > PT Cruiser Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-10-2000, 01:37 AM

The PT Cruiser will be given a road test on Car and Driver Television on TNN April 15 & 16, 2000 check local listing for times.
Old 04-16-2000, 05:38 AM
Gary G

Thumbs up

Reminder: Tomorrow, Sunday, 4/16Â*Â*PT Cruiser Road Test on Car & Driver TV, TNN Cable.

I had my own road test today at Bloomington Chrysler Plymouth (MN).

Here's this driver's opinion: The Cruiser is very solid, as if it's sculpted from a solid chunk of steel. It's very well engineered; everything fits to extremely close tolerances. And, it's very comfortableÂ*Â*considering it's a small car, it has a wonderful big car ride. The extra headroom contributes to this feel.

Now, here's what bothers me: Sadly, the Cruiser is underpowered. Sure it has pep, but it sounds as though the four cylinders are really working for it. Can we preserve engine life by keeping rpms down or will normal city driving bring us close to redline at every shift? I don't know. But, if we lose performance shouldn't we get higher mpg with four cylinders? Where are they?

No, I won't cancel my order. I don't fall out of love easily. After all, there were four adults in the car during my test drive, so it may not be as underpowered as I perceived. However, I've decided to do a company lease instead of a purchase. It may be a keeper three years from now. Perhaps Chrysler will fit a turbo in the small space between the engine and the firewall (thanks to Christopher for the insight). The PT Cruiser is a work in progress. It's great now and I'm confident it will get even bet
Old 04-17-2000, 03:49 AM
Inactive User

The PT Cruiser is SWEEEET!!!

Bryan

------------------
68 Road Runner, 32,000mi.
*440 .30 over
*.528 lift Mopar Purple Shaft cam
*Ductile Rockers
*TCI 3000 stall
*Richmond 4.30 gears
*Edelbrock Torker 440 intake
*830 Holley Double Pumper
*Cheetah Manual Shift Valve Body.
*Stock 906 Heads
*Firestone 30.10.15 slicks
*10:3:1 TRW Pistons
Old 04-17-2000, 04:30 AM
Inactive User

Cool

When they put the Turbo in it, the power will be pretty reasonable. Actually, for what it is, it isn't all that bad, now. Give the drivetrain possibilities easily accomodated, I'd personally have liked a turbo with the lower gears the same and a long 5th gear for the highway.

Now if I had a Roadrunner like the above, I would truly know the meaning of power. I remember those from my teens. They always made me druel

"Beep-Beep"