Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-01-2000, 02:57 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Last night my mighty mopars got a tick!? I was racing a mustang(which i beat) when i shifted at only 5,000rpm and after that i got a ticking@!!!!!!! i plan on taking the valve covers off tomorrow, untill then????

If i floated a lifter how do i reset them????
Any other thing that could be ticking?
WHAT SHOULD I DO??????????

It a 72' 318ci w/ a mild cam ld4b intake, holley carb, headers, ect

------------------
Own a mean h*ll ras'n 70' 340 Dart Swinger, w/ a mean 318 cammmed and all the add on's! 15" Rear rallys, 3.91 posi, diaphram cluch,hurst 4-speed and extra keep adding on!
Old 03-01-2000, 06:49 AM
Inactive User

i would say either a rod went threw the cup on the rocker or you have a collaps lifter.replace one or the other and ckeck the rod for damage ,then go spank anouther Mustbang or cheby.
Old 03-01-2000, 12:54 PM
Inactive User

How do i reset the valves??? Could i have floated a lifter??? I'm sure its not a rod! I'm SURE! I'll check the heads and pushrods out tonight!!!

The car runs fine, no poping, no backfiring, no missing, NOTHING!!!
Old 03-01-2000, 06:33 PM
Inactive User

Okay, this may sound funny, but are you sure it's a tick a.k.a. "tapping" and not a clack like something is bouncing around. It'll be easier to to figure out when you get the valve cover off.
If you see nothing loose, crank it up with the cover off and you may find where it's coming from. If it's hard to tell which bore the noise is radiating from, take your hand and place it on the back of the rockers one at a time applying as much pressure as you can (with it running) and you'll take the slack out of the loose one and bingo you found the problem point.

Don't lose a finger. Be careful.

Do you have adjustable rockers ?

ART
Old 03-01-2000, 10:26 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

You should check out those pushrods REALLY carefully.... i had my 340 ticking over on idle one day and it just stopped! turns out one rod almost pushed itself through the rocker, and another one was riding on the edge of the rocker.. this is what happens whey you order and install the wrong lenght pushrods! duhhh! thank god it was only on idle! anyway a set of harland sharp roller rockers and the right length pushrods sorted it out, but be careful with the adjustment and pushrod length! (wondered what that ticking sound was!)

At least your engine is running well, so it cant' be that bad.

Freddie

Challenger 340
Old 03-02-2000, 01:27 AM
Inactive User

Red face

Well i'm checking the heads while you reading this! but if's something is wrong w/ the rockers, or lifter how would i fix them!
The ushrods i'll replace!

Oh ya the tick is at all engine speeds so i wonder if its a pushrod--any ideas!
Old 03-02-2000, 02:04 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

well i checked the push-rods and rockers they look ok (but then again i'm not really sure what to look for???) also if i do take the heads off-what procedure should i use!!
Old 03-02-2000, 05:09 AM
Inactive User

don't take the head's off 'check the lifters out first im sure you have a bad one. I'VE had this happen quite a few times.mostly on 318's.
Old 03-02-2000, 01:05 PM
Inactive User

How do i check the lifters???????Take the manifold offf????? How ???why???
Old 03-02-2000, 03:44 PM
Inactive User

Dart_340_Swinger,

Sorry man,
You're getting nowhere fast so far. I feel your pain.
Did you try what I suggested - putting your hand on the back of the rocker while it was running ? Regardless, try this.... I'm gonna tell you how to check the lifters - assuming they are hydraulic.

Disconnect your coil wire and take the valve covers off. Starting at the first spring on either head, roll the motor over until the valve is all the way up(closed). Try to push on the back of the rocker, right over the pushrod, and see if you can depress the pushrod down into the lifter. You should be able to push them down a little at least. If you find that one is really mushy, more than likely you have found your problem. Repeat this for all of them so that you can get a feel of the average slack in the lifter plungers.
If that doesn't help or if you have any questions, respond privately to artonos@tecinfo.com.

ART
Old 03-02-2000, 03:48 PM
Inactive User

OOOOps,

I'll be at joetonos@tecinfo.com until 2:00 CST..

ART
Old 03-04-2000, 07:46 AM
Inactive User

HEY GUYS, I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM! I installed new Mopar roller rockers, guides and pushrods in october last year. I've got one rocker that ticks somewhere on the drivers side on startup, then goes away. All this takes about a second or so and its gone. I've tried to find it with the valve covers off and decided to tighten them about
a quarter to 1/2 turn past 0 lash. Every now
and then it will tick anyway and I can drive it for a block and its gone. BTW, the engine is a '98 318 and still runs like a bat outta hell. I've checked pushrods and they look straight. I'm thinking a weak roller lifter. Any Ideas? Thanks

GS -

98 Dakota 5 speed, 3.90SG
Old 03-04-2000, 03:53 PM
Inactive User

Sometimes something as simple as an oil change will remedy this problem. We think we can give our engines all sorts of hell and still only change the oil every 3000 miles or so. 40 weight oil works best for my driving.

ART
Old 03-06-2000, 03:27 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Not a bad idea ART! Factory says 10W30. I might try a thicker synthetic to what I've been using (mobil1,10W30). Maybe this will keep the lifters from bleeding down so fast,
Who knows....

Thanks
Old 03-06-2000, 05:04 AM
Inactive User

GS,
I got a '91 318 with roller lifters and it to makes that ticking sound for a few when i 1st start it after its been sitting for a wile. I took off the valve covers and didnt find anything wrong. Every one I talked to just said it was a leaky lifter. It only takes a second or 2 to pump back up so im not going to worry about it. What I would worry about is over tighting the lash. Isnt that going to burn a valve?
Old 03-06-2000, 06:07 AM

Overtightening the lash on adjustable rockers with hydros wont burn the valve. the pushrod will sink into the lifter a bit, but it wont be enough to unseat the valve. You are only acting on the plunger spring, not the cam lobe. The oil fills the lifter on startup click, click, click...until the check valve closes, making it "solid". Now there is no lash whatsoever, the plunger took it all up when it filled with oil. now it is nice and quiet.Fast bleed lifters are squishy at low rpms, effectively making huge cam lobes seem a little smaller on the rockers, at higher rpms, the cant bleed down fast enough, and show the rocker 100% lobe lift. Mechanicals rely on the lash to compensate for any thermal expansion that would result. If they were zero at cold start, they would rapidly expand and unseat the valve, poof.