Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-18-2000, 05:13 AM
Inactive User

I have a 99 dodge ram 360 4x4. I have add JBA headers flowmaster exhaust low tem thermostat mopar performance computer. Now I am thinking of adding a 50-150 horsepower nitrous shot. Would the nitrous hurt my engine and would I have to make any other mods to run nitrous. Also I was thinking of getting a new tbi before I got the nitrous would this help the nitrous. I was also thinking of new injectors. What would be the best thing to get new tbi and nitrous or injectors and nitrous. I can only realy afford 2 of the 3 but if it is better to have a new tbi and injectors to run the nitrous thats what I'll do. Just in short what do you think I need to do in order to run nitrous.
Thanks Justin
Old 02-18-2000, 05:33 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

NOS IS NICE BUT DID YOU EVER THINK ABOUT A SUPERCHARGER??? I WOULD DEFINATELY CHANGE THE TBI AND INJECTORS BEFORE NOS. GOOD LUCK???
Old 02-18-2000, 06:08 AM
Inactive User

Oh a supercharger would be great but I can't afford it. I am only 17 and have a part time job only so my funds are a little limited. But I think I will go with tbi and injectors first because that is all the time horsepower. Hey Thanks for the help mopar nut.
Old 02-18-2000, 06:57 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Jsitz69

If you decide to run N2O, make sure you have enough fuel pump to supply fuel during the nitrous runs. If the mixture leans out, it can cause hot spots on the pistons (a.k.a. pinging or detonation, sounds like valve rattling, but is worse) and even forged pistons can and will burn through. This can do all kinds of nasty things to the rest of the motor, and get real expensive, real quick.

If you can get a custom computer or a chip for the stock computer, I would suggest having a dual program chip that will give you a performance mode for the street, and a nitrous mode for running the juice (hopefully at the track only, just MHO).

I think SuperChips may make a chip for the Dodge trucks that would just fit the bill.

If you have a custom programmer in your area, you should let him dyno tune a custom setup to maximize your performance, while minimizing the risks to the motor.

Just .02 worth from

The Wyldman

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
71 Dodge Challenger R/T 440, B5 Blue w/blk vinyl top
Old 02-19-2000, 08:17 AM
Inactive User

Hey wyldman I have a mopar performance computer on order can it be adjusted to run nitrous. Also do you think I should change my tbi before nitrous and I was also thinking of changing the injectors before nitrous.
Old 02-19-2000, 04:06 PM
Inactive User

Jsitz69,

Did you ever call any of those nitrous companies yet. Changing injectors and throttle bodies is great if that's what you want to do, but if you don't need it, why ?? Seeing that you're 17 and seemingly new to this, I wish you would do what I have learned to do. CALL AND ASK !

All nitrous kits work on the same principal, but they are not all alike. Trust me ....
Until you buy your kit and becasue they are all different, you don't know what you need.
I can't imagine you needing a new pump and injectors for up to or less than a 150hp shot. However, I do recommend a fuel pressure and air/fuel mixture gauge.

Someone who has done this, correct me if I'm wrong.

ART
Old 02-19-2000, 07:29 PM
Inactive User

Thanks MopART

Well right now I am looking for a new tbi because I have heard good increases from them. But then I am going to call some companies about the nitrous, right now my main search is for a good tbi and it seems everyone on here thinks something different. Also what do you think about keeping my origianl in case I ever have problems with my truck. Do you know if you can tell the difference between a stock tbi and an aftermarket. In short do you think my dealer would be able to tell. So far everything I have replaced I kept the stock part just in case I ever had major problems and then I could put all the stock parts back on.
Old 02-19-2000, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

Jsitz69,

Seems like you're gonna replace the throttle body no matter what..... So let's go with it. The only noticable difference in an aftermarket and the stock, if you go to a higher cfm, would be the size of the butterfly and maybe some sort of logo milled into the side or the top. However, replacing the throttle body shouldn't affect your warranty if that's a concern. Just don't take it in for service with the nitrous kit still on the motor.
And keeping the original is up to you. Considering your age and that your truck is new, it's not likely that you'll keep it until the day you die. If it were me, I'd keep it and transplant the aftremarket onto whatever car or truck I got with next or you could sell it. I'd do that with anything that you've added as a "bolt-on". So you've done good by saving the parts, in my opinion.

good luck
ART
Old 02-20-2000, 06:19 AM
Inactive User

MopART I'm not hell bent on a new tbi it's just that everyone has been telling me how much the got out of theirs. And the only reason I was looking at the injectors was because everyone has been saying that with nitrous it is real important not to run to lean. So I thought a set of higher flowing, blue printed injectors would help decrease the risk of runing lean. Do you think they would? Also what would you do if you were in my position would you go ahead and get the nitrous first.
Thanks Justin
Old 02-20-2000, 07:15 AM
Inactive User

Jsitz69,

You're right, the throttle body and injectors would be great addition and you'll probably get some hp out of them. I guess I was thinking you wanted them becasue someone said you *had* to have them for nitrous.

Do this.... figure out what kit you want. Call them and ask them if the injectors and the throttle body are prerequisit for their nitrous system, which is doubtful. Then figure out how much hp, from someone with dyno stats, the advantages of the injectors and throttle body with nitrous. After all that decide if the hp you are getting is worth what you are spending. If $$$ is no object, just do it b/c there are advantages in there anyway.

This way you can order your nitrous kit, throttle body and injectors at one time.
Old 02-20-2000, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

MopART I only have about $500 to spend now so if you were me. How would you spend it.

Thanks Justin
Old 02-21-2000, 01:19 AM
Inactive User

Option #1

For all around performance buy the t-body and or injectors - I don't know how much they are so you'll have to figure how far your $500.00 can go

Option #2

If you want to go to the track and make a show, buy the nitrous. If the kit is inexpensive enough to afford the throttle body get that too - leave the injectors for later. This is assuming that the injectors will be ample for use with nitrous. You'll just have to figure that out.

ART
Old 02-21-2000, 03:57 AM
Inactive User

Hey thanks for all the help right now I am thinking hard about the nitrous. Just because it's the most bang for the buck. But when I call I will ask about the tbi and the injectors to see if the nitrous would be safer to run with them.

Thanks alot
Old 03-04-2000, 04:00 PM
Inactive User

Jsitz69,

So what did you ever decide to do and what benefits did you get ?

What about the recommendations for nitrous ?

Some of what you may have found out can help others.

ART
Old 03-06-2000, 05:38 AM
Inactive User

I have found out that there is alot more to nitrous than I had thought. I have talked to many people running up to 150 horsepower shot and loveing it. The kit I am most thinking about getting is $539 it's 25-75 horsepower kit and for another 300 you can get all the safety features they offer such as low fuel pressure shut off valuve and other items to help the system run better.
Old 03-06-2000, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

Well, at least now you know what you need...
That's a start anyway..

ART