Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-26-2000, 06:53 PM
Inactive User

Question

How to use overdrive????

Q. I have a car with an overdrive button, which usually comes on when going up and down hills or over the mountains. My husband says I should use it when driving in town also, but the car seems to drive better when the OD is on all the time.

A. I would keep the car in OD all the time, except when going up and down hills or over steep mountains. By taking the transmission out of overdrive under these conditions, there will be less strain on your transmission and you’ll have better control going downhill. The minus is that it uses a little more fuel.
I have to say, I was a little confused by your question, because it sounds as if you’re using the OD at a time when it should not be used. Let me point out that in many vehicles the overdrive is on when the light is out and off when the light is on. I know, it sounds like it should work the opposite. Just look closely when the light is on; it may well say “OD off.”

Anyone got any opinions on this subject?

------------------
1988 Dodge Ram D100, 3.9 V-6, Throttle Body Fuel Injection, Chrysler A-999 Transmission, Chrysler 8.25 Rear with 3.54 gear, Hercules Step Bumper 1200#tongue/12000#pull, Reese Hitch 750#tongue/7500#pull, Hopkins "Quick Connect" Trailer Plug, Hopkins trailer circuit breaker, Kenwood AM/FM Stereo CD player, Pioneer 5 speaker system, Mohawk aluminum cap(painted to match truck) with custom installed PM red/yellow marker lights and PM third brake light, 2 sets of Custom Cut Floor Mats Red and Burgundy, Custom Built Lighted Cupholder/Console with control swi