Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-04-1999, 08:30 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Well, I did it....

The Mopar RT package is going in today (less headers).

Headers will be added later 'cause I don't want the Mopar horns....opting for the JBAs.

See, the Christmas shopping season has begun....
Old 10-05-1999, 01:41 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Cool, what kind of difference does does it make, can you feel it? Let us know. Oh, and what year is your truck? Hope it kicks butt.
Old 10-05-1999, 06:12 AM

Question

Mikey,

What all are you having done ? Also is the dealer doing the work or someone else? I called a couple of dealers and only one said that they would install the R/T cam an they told me that labor would be almost $700.00 just to install the cam. With is alot for a cam install. also I called chrysler and asked about voiding my warranty. they told me the only way it wouldn't void my warranty was to have the work done by a dealer.???
Payton
Old 10-05-1999, 06:29 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

I'm interested as well in the mods and the progress (I bet several of us are interested) Please keep us posted.

Good luck on your project.
Old 10-05-1999, 07:56 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I figured this would get alot of interest...

First of all, I had a heart-to-heart with Dick Landy and then a Mopar Performance guy from Dodge and then my friendly District Dodge Representative....

Dick says:

Headers from Mopar are S**T, go with the JBAs (which I will do maybe in the spring).

The Mopar cam is great, use it....I did.

Pully set is good, a set from March would be better, but I won't notice the difference...so I used the Mopar set.

The exhaust system I put on is better than the RT kit. No changes made (Flowmaster 3", 50 Series, 3 chamber)

The intake I put on is better than the RT kit (K&N Gen II). No changes made.

The aluminum valve covers in the RT kit leak like crazy....may look better than stock, but really serves no function. Kept the stock ones.

I have the Mopar supercomputer...its better than the stock one....

Had the work done, $1100 parts&labor.

I confirmed the setup with the Mopar Performance guy who reluctantly conceeded that the resulting setup was better than the RT package (less headers).

The District Dodge dude confirmed that warranty was not an issue, everything has a CARB certification and does not void warranty and is smog legal....even if done by someone other than Dodge.

The results.....332HP, 425 Ft.lbs torque.

Now I have another problem...I'm still running the stock tires (P245s) and rims (16X7s)...and the tires are going to be getting thin in the skin!
Old 10-05-1999, 08:55 PM
Inactive User

Question

Sounds great. When you get some 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers with your truck let us know.

Based on what you've said and done and the hp and torque numbers your getting, I will probably end up doing the exact same mods. Get the cam shaft, the computer, and pullies from mopar. K&N filter. JBA headers would be good. Still thinking about my exaust (ss/t exaust). Maybe just a new muffler.

Now all I need is the cash.

I would recomend the ss/t rims, with 275/60 17" tires on it. They came stock on my truck, and I have had no problems with them and I do some extreme driving on em. They light up really good too.
Old 10-05-1999, 09:04 PM
Inactive User

Question

Toe,

Do you know the manufacturer of your rims? What size and offset are they....

The "classic" 5-spoke rim is what I have been looking for. It also seems that the P27560R16s won't obviously cause any rubbing problems as long as I can get the rims with the same offset. I've been shopping the Goodyear Eagle GTIIs....so far best price is $89.95ea.

The truck is definetly faster....I got home 3 minutes earlier than normal!! (that a joke).
Old 10-05-1999, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

Whoops! slip of a finger....I meant P27560R17 not 16.
Old 10-05-1999, 09:45 PM
Inactive User

Well I am not entirely sure who makes them but I do know this.

If you goto your local dodge dealership and talk to the parts counter. Look up the rims for 1998 1500 pickup's they will have one 17" rim for that year, being the ss/t rim. I found this out because I wanted a full size spare. They wanted $300 bucks for the rim though so it gets expencive quick. I have no idea if they are in stock or if they were a limited addition rim.

I got the Goodyear's on mine too. They work great, a little bit slippery in the rain, and very in the snow. That said, I live in Northern Canada where we get snow for 6 months of the year, and I still got around ok in a couple feet of snow. Only got stuck twice. Just gotta drive slow. I know there isn't many people that make tires at 275/60R17's There might be one or two other company's out there besides goodyear. Hope the info helps.

Hey a question for ya, does that camshaft up your rpm red line at all... just curious?
Old 10-06-1999, 12:11 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

The red line is suppose to be about 250 RPMs higher (I'll probably won't test that). But more importantly, the torque curve is moved down by 500 rpm to make the added torque more usable. I have noticed that at crusing speed (70mph) the tach at about 1975 rpm (3.55 gears) and in OD and going up the hill I need to go up to work everyday, it no longer will lose speed (It's about a 9% grade). As far as out of the hole...if I can keep the rubber from breaking loose, I've put another 2 1/2 truck lengths between me and my neighbors 99 Silverado w/6.0L!

As soon as I can figure out the picture posting thing, I post some.

BTW, I forgot who asked, but the truck is a 98 1500 SWB Reg Cab w/360 Auto w/3.55LS. And its red....with white SS/T stripes....and a custom "5.9 R/T" art integrated in the stripe on the back.
Old 10-06-1999, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Cool so they got it all in your 1998 truck. Thay makes me happy because the parts guys here don't seem to enthusastic when i ask them about high proformance stuff. They often tell me that dodge doesn't make much high pro stuff for that year. But if you got all that your your 1998 then I should have no problems getting it for mine. I am off to the dealership right now to question them

Old 10-06-1999, 01:14 AM

Mikey,

I have some questions on mods you have had done to your truck and some of the advice/recommendations you gave.

Mopar Performance aluminum valve covers don't leak if installed properly. Use gasket p/n P5249660. Have had these valve covers and gaskets installed on my 95' 5.9 since 95' and they have never leaked!

The under drive pulleys sold by Mopar Performance are manufactured by March.

I assume you installed the K & N Gen II air intake on your truck? I'm getting ready to install one on mine and have a question. Did you remove the rubber shield between the radiator and radiator support? Without removing it I don't see how I'd get any ram air effect.

What's wrong with the Mopar Performance Headers for the Magnum engines other than they have been around since 95'? I realize there's newer styles out there but until I see some concrete evidence of other headers being better than the Mopar Performance ones I'm sticking with them. Mine have been on my truck since 95' and have never had a problem with them. They were very easy to install too.

Thanks in advance

HV
Old 10-06-1999, 03:12 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

HV,

The Mopar headers don't seem to really add the kind of performance for the $. The research that I have done (asking people who do these things for a living) have always turned to JBAs. Not to put down Mopar, just that I want the most bang for the buck. The JBAs are actually less than the Mopars!

The valve covers is something I really wanted..but when I get a majority of recommendations against it, I kinda watch out. I could always add them later I guess.

The K&N Gen II went in great....did it myself in about 1.5 hours. I did tuck the rubber shield behind the heat shield that came with the K&N. The directions don't tell you to do this however....other people have said that with the seal that is provided with the heat shield with the hood, it creates a positive airflow from the front spoiler/air dam and that's all it takes....I felt kinda like what you feel...open it up front and get all kinds of fresh, cold air. During the rainy season (thats about 3 days in Souther Cal!) I'll put the rubber shield back in place, because the water will come in.

The pullies for the 94-97 RT Kit were made by March...but I've been told that in 98 they are made by someone else....whatever.

I'm happy with the setup and will be happier next spring when the JBAs go in!
Old 10-06-1999, 01:18 PM
Inactive User

Question

M - Are you looking for "stock" (OEM) RAM wheels or some from an aftermarket vendor ?

Old 10-06-1999, 04:33 PM

The indy ram style wheel is made by American Racing for Chrysler. Granted, the wheel that is avaliable to the public is cheaper, looks almost 95% the same, and well, basically is the same wheel.. there are only a couple of minor astetic(sp) details... and its probably alot cheaper than 300 bucks!!! (I would hope)

clay
Old 10-06-1999, 07:04 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, I'm looking for the OEM SS/T rims, that is who makes them. If it is American Racing and they are 95% the same, I believe I can get them for 50% of the Dodge price.....I can live with that.

I also got the "Magnum RT by Mopar Performance" decals in the mail today. A nice lil' touch to the outside.
Old 10-07-1999, 04:19 AM

Mikey,

Thanks for the reply.

So your in So. Cal?, not sure where you live but if you live anywhere near Woodley Park in Van Nuys come by the All Mopar show on 16 Oct.

HV

[This message has been edited by hemivaliant (edited October 06, 1999).]
Old 10-07-1999, 04:46 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, heard about the show on the 16th..unfortunatley I'll be in Washington DC trying to get the US Navy back on track on a program that we are developing.

We may be close...I work in Northridge.
Old 10-08-1999, 05:54 AM

Sorry to hear you won't make it to the show. I missed the show in the spring but will be making this one with my 68' Valiant.

Sure wish an all Mopar event would be held at Pomona so all us Mopar type gear heads could get together to do some racing, etc.

I live in Corona which isn't to far from Pomona but really hate going there for their regular street series. Way to crowded for me. Will be really glad when the new IHRA 1/4 mile track opens in Rialto this coming summer. You can check it out at http://www.rialtoraceway.com/

Take care

HV

[This message has been edited by hemivaliant (edited October 08, 1999).]
Old 10-10-1999, 05:10 PM
Inactive User

Question

Sorry if I sound like a real gear head, but do you know the specs of the cam you had installed ?

Was it the actual R/T MOPAR cam or did you go with another MOPAR cam ?

Good luck on your project

Old 10-11-1999, 05:13 PM
Inactive User

Ram Man,

It was the actual R/T Mopar Cam...if you want the specifics, I believe a spec sheet was sent with the kit....if I can find it through all the stuff in the box.

Running strong..mpg went down, no suprise, I'm still "breaking" it in....too many WOT runs from one light to the next!!!