Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-20-1999, 08:02 PM
Inactive User

Question

Just traded my 97 Dakota SLT Club Cab 4X2 for a 99 Ram Sport 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 w/ 360. I passed on the dealer applied paint sealant, undercoating, and scotchgard. Seemed like a lot of money for stuff I could do myself.

I applied rug/carpet scotchgard to my carpets and fabric scotchgard to the seats myself. Not to worried about the underside since the truck sits up high enough I can keep that clean via the carwash.

My question: What aftermarket waxes or polishes do you all recommend for protecting the clearcoat?? The truck is a Flame Red Sport so the Clearcoat is the last line of defense from 'ugly truck' syndrome.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. TC

Old 10-20-1999, 08:44 PM
Inactive User

I only use Meguiars or Mothers products - they are (IMO) the absolute BEST.

If you go to any major show (Hot Rod / Custom / Truck etc) and ask the guys that are displaying their vehicles what they use -I bet its one of these two (thats exactly what I did)

Check out this website:
http://www.meguiars.com/

Meguiars has probably one of the coolest tire shine products out as well - lasts weeks not days !

Good luck on your project.
Old 10-21-1999, 06:08 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I have used Meguires products since the very early 70's. You can't beat it. Be absolutely sure, without fail, to use the product they call Quick Detailer every day to remove bird droppings, especially on your red paint. I learned the hard way on my wifes car. If you don't get it off within at least the first 24 hrs. it can, and often does, eat into your clear coat leaving an (etched) spot.
Have fun with your new Ram. Mine is a 99 model, emerald green.
Old 10-22-1999, 03:29 AM
Inactive User

Question

Hey, since your on this topic of paint protection, you guys got any ideas on how to fix scratchs? Even though I got an ss/t, it is my daily driver and often hauling stuff around, so it's got a few scratchs around on the outside of the box. Also it doesn't help it is black.

But anyway, anyone got any ideas without having to repaint the truck?

Toe
Old 10-22-1999, 04:05 AM
Inactive User

Toe,
Check the Meguiars web site at the address in Ram Man's reply. They have an excelent step by step guide for removing scratches. It takes a little time but is well worth the effort. Another little trick I learned over the past 30+ years of detailing my own vehicles is to use a black felt tip permenant marker. Might sound crazy but try it on your black paint. You might be supprised! I've used that trick on both automobiles and motorcycles for years.
Old 10-22-1999, 02:28 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info guys. Went out last night and got the Meguiars Gold Class products. Weather permitting this weekend here in KC I'll put them to the test.

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-1999, 06:06 PM
Inactive User

Hmmm a black felt tip marker. Well I will try that on one of the smaller scratches. Gotta admit though, that was about the last thing I would be thinking of using. I will check out the web site as well, Thanks.

Tony
Old 10-23-1999, 08:13 PM
Inactive User

I use Meguiars also.I have been using it since 1993 when my wife and I bought a Jeep Cherokee.That's the only products that have been used on the Jeep and the paint looks brand new.It's always soft and the usual dirt and bird droppings just slide off with a water hose.It's really great stuff.
Old 10-27-1999, 06:45 PM
Inactive User

I've been using "The Wax Shop" wax on all my cars and trucks. It's a petroleum based wax and goes on and off very easy. My truck is the Flame Red and it really gives the red a "electric" look that is a slight shade deeper than stock.

I have also used Zymol (German). Used it on my BMW for years. It really works well with dark colors, especially if they are metallic.

Old 10-27-1999, 07:33 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

While Meguairs remains my favorite, I could do an ad for "Mothers" . . . my girlfriend has a mid 80's Toyota that spent most of its life in Florida (the paint was REALLY faded - and it looked like someone cleaned out erasers from the chalkboard right on top of it. I tried a product called "Color Back" from Turtle Wax - but it didn't last. I figured since the paint had been neglected that long, that there must not be much pigmenatation left. Don't get me wrong - the Turtle wax stuff brought the color back - but it faded again in about 2 months time. Then I tried "Mothers" . . . still looking good !
Old 10-28-1999, 12:05 AM
Inactive User

The best first coat for your paint is called Perfect-it by 3M. It comes in both hand or wheel applications. (Used by most good body shops).