Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-23-1999, 05:48 AM
Inactive User

Recently installed the hypertech power tuning module on my 97 Ram 5.2. I've noticed slight pinging or knocking t highway speeds when the engine is under load. I've installed a 160* thermostat as per the instructions, but I think my problem is with the spark plugs I installed before the power tuner. They are Autolite double platinums. My question is, should I install regular plugs(champion?) back or maybe one heat range colder? I think the platinum plugs aren't going to work in a truck with performance modifications. Is there a champion plug# that might work? And, does anyone know the original champion# for 5.2 engines? Thanks in advance.

mopar97
Old 11-23-1999, 10:11 AM
Inactive User

I DONT THINK ITS YOUR PLUGS. I'VE RUN PLATINUMS IN EVERY THING UNDER THE SUN WITH NO PROBLEMS. CALL YOUR CHRY DEALER AND ASK IF THERE IS A TSB(TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN)OUT ON YOUR TRUCK AND THIS PROBLEM, I'M SURE I REMEMBER ONE. ...PRO..
Old 11-23-1999, 03:33 PM

I can't speak to the plug issue, but there does seem to be a problem with late model Rams knocking.

Chrysler did issue a TSB to try to eliminate the problem, but it was just a patch and doesn't seem to help much from what I've heard.

More than likely, you're truck was on the verge of knocking before, and adding the Hypertech module was just enough to put it over the edge.

I recently installed a JET chip in my truck and the manual clearly stated that I had to run premium fuel with the chip. I also added the lower temperature thermostat, the low restriction intake and exhaust, better ignition wires and coil, etc. I didn't think I would have to use premium since I don't push the truck all that hard, it's my daily driver and I was simply after better driveability on the highway. But if I even try to run on half a tank of premium and a half tank of mid-grade, I get knocking. I get a very slight amount of knock even when running pure premium if I get the truck under a little load like going up a slight grade. I contacted JET about the problem and they said that I shouldn't have to change the timing. However, I did retard it two degrees and it helped a lot.

I don't know if the colder plugs will help. You could try that or possibly retard the timing a degree or two, take it for a drive. If it doesn't knock, then you're done. If it still knocks, retard it another degree or two, etc. Of course, you don't want to go to far with this or you'll be losing a lot of the benefit of the Hypertech module. Maybe use colder plugs combined with retarding the timing a few degrees will be enough to solve the problem and still give you good power from the module.

Hope this helps some.
Old 11-24-1999, 01:30 AM
Inactive User

There is a TSB regarding spark knock on 94-99 vehicles with the 3.9,5.2 or 5.9 engine.This TSB(tech service bulletin) is about a intake manifold plenum pan gasket leak,which can cause oil consumption and /or a spark knock.The TSB bulletin is 09-06-99,and if you are under warranty,the dealer will fix it a no charge.As far as spark plugs go,I've always had very good results with Champions and they now have a platinum version of their plug that works great.I have the Champion platinums in my 86 Ramcharger and my mileage went up 1mpg over a regular set of Champions that had about 6000 miles on them.
Old 11-24-1999, 08:57 PM

Question

Christopher,

Where did you get the Platinum Champion plugs at? Do they follow the same numbering designations as the regular plugs?
Old 11-24-1999, 11:59 PM
Inactive User

I saw a ad for them in one of the trade publications I get,so I figured when I saw them I'd get a set,but to answer your question,I found them at Wal-Mart of all places!!
Old 11-25-1999, 03:20 AM

i would like to know how are you adjusting the timming on your ram?? my manual says the timing is not adjustable, and that by moving the distributor you change the fuel delivery.
Old 11-28-1999, 06:09 AM

Well, first of all I guess I should say that my truck is a 1990 model, so I don't know if this can be done with the newer Rams.

Anyway, I can adjust the initial timing by disconnecting the water temp sensor, turn the distributor in the direction desired, and then reconnect the sensor. I've been told that this moves the whole timing advance curve for my truck. I can't verify that, all I know is that it did help my knock problem, it didn't eliminate it, but it did help.

[This message has been edited by 400Magnum (edited November 29, 1999).]
Old 12-01-1999, 03:59 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Christopher is right about the knock problem. All of the Magnum truck engines do it, 5.2, 5.9 seem to be the worst. Don't waste your time screwing with different plugs and really messing up the timing by moving the distributor, especially in 95- up Rams. Go and get the TSB done, even if it is not under warranty, I gaurantee it will eliminate the problem.