Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-02-1999, 01:34 AM
Inactive User

I have a 95 ram v-10 with 63,000 miles that suddenly lost oil pressure for no apparent reason.This happened the last two start ups but a quick stab on the throttle brought it back.It has been well maintained and highway driven.I am a lincoln/mercury tech and not very familiar mopars HELP!.The oil pressure does not come back up anymore and the gauge is on zero and the light is on and they use different sensors,the oil and filter are fresh.
Thanks to all who replied. The problem was a sticking relief valve. It took a half hour to fix and I now have 55psi at idle,thanks.

[This message has been edited by thor580 (edited December 05, 1999).]
Old 12-02-1999, 03:01 AM

I am by no means an expert, you should probably no more about this than I do, but I have an idea. You say that your truck suddenly loses oil pressure and then when you hit the gas the pressure goes back up. I bet your truck probably isnt loosing oil pressure at all, more than likely its just a bad sending unit. That makes the most sense to me anyway. If a sending unit goes out of spec then at idle, when the oil pressure can drop off a bit, it may just go dead, and a sudden kick of the gas that pushes the oil pressure up where the sending unit can "see" the pressure again makes everything start working.

-Clay
Old 12-02-1999, 05:38 AM
Inactive User

I'm no expert on the V/10 by any means but I sure wouldn't chance ruining it. Do yourself a HUGE favor and install a mechanical gauge to be sure!
Old 12-02-1999, 09:01 AM
Inactive User

ABSOLOUTELY verify psi w/mechanical gauge.If youve got no psi you should have alot of noise that wasnt there b4.Also check w/dealer ask if there is a TSB(technical service bulletin)addressing this vehicle with this problem,do this as the factory may have already addressed this problem if it was common.(V10s arent common).if you actually dont have psi you may have a stuck oil pump relief valve,being a ford tech youve probably seen this b4 as my experience has been that fords do this more so than others.If you had just been out romping on it right b4 this happened ,its likely that it is stuck,also just because the filter is new dont overlook it as a possible problem especially if it occurred right after you changed it.Let us know what you find..PRO..
Old 12-03-1999, 12:30 AM

Cool

Here's my 2 cents worth,

I'd bet it's your sending unit. Had mine replaced under warranty on my 5.9 liter '95 Ram when it only had 16,000 miles. My gauge was doing to same thing as you described.

Pro is right, if you had zero oil pressure the engine would be making a terrible racket.

HV
Old 12-05-1999, 12:39 AM
Inactive User

THOR580
The sending unit operates both the light and the gauge on your truck This is a very
common occurance on diesels and not unheard
of on V-10's either.
Old 12-05-1999, 06:25 AM

put a mechancal oil preasure gauge on the port and read the oil preasure if ok you may have a sened probled they always go bad. we replace at least one a week. if no oil preasure may have a sticking relife valve. the pump is part of the front cover. oil pan has to come off and front of engine has to come apart not that bad of a job