Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-13-1999, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

Question

I have a 98 1/2ton Quad cab 4x4 with 360, automatic w/3.90 gearing. At 300 miles truck developed a problem. After sitting at least 10 hours truck will surge and sputter when being "warmed up". Truck will idle fine for about 2 minutes and then sputter and try to die. Acts like old carb engine thats cold. This goes on for 3-5 minutes then quits. Additionally I average 10 mpg! Mileage is same whether driving speedlimit, pulling boat, or city driving. Two dealers have failed to correct problem (12 visits!). They found fouled plugs, new computer, reprogram map sensor, etc., nothing helps. Any suggestions?(other than driving it thru dealers window) In the last year I installed K&N filtercharger, flowmaster dual cat back exhaust, and 265-75-16's. Still no improvement. I love my truck, but am developing a strong dislike for dodges in general. Anyone out there with info that helps my truck (and my loyalty), I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-1999, 06:20 PM
Inactive User

H'wood,
You may have the leaking intake gasket problem mentioned in another thread.
I had the same problem on a '94 V-10--
stumbled and farted when cold, with a chirping sound (muted) as well, stumbing/farting and chirping went away when warm, but the mileage sucked! There was a Chrysler/Dodge recall notice on this (remember, this was pre-DC) but I never got the notice-- a friend with a similar truck
got the notice, had the work done but never had the original problem-- I took the info (recall#) to the dealer, he called the
vin up on the computer, found that my truck had slipped thru the cracks on that one, called the Service Tech-Line, who advised him all V-10's should have it done, do it, etc., and that there was another coming out on the 5.2 AND the 5.9--- that was in '97! Other posts here and elsewhere have addressed the fix, and it appears to continue to be happening--
Check it out.
Tom
ps: after the fix, my mileage came back.
Old 12-14-1999, 07:52 AM
Inactive User

Hey Hollywood sounds like trouble in paradise!Logic tells us your obviously too rich(fouled plugs).Possible causes are 1.Vacuum leak,at idle check manifold vacuum it should be steady as should idle and read around 16- 18".Carb cleaner sprayed around intake gaskets while the engine is running will increase rpm if leaking.(a leak usually sets M.A.P. code) 2.Computer.It could be telling the injectors to richen the mix.You'll need a scan tool for this one(dealer)Read the pulse width it should be somewhere around 1.0 at warm idle if its reads higher you have to determine if all your inputs to the computer are valid. 3.Coolant sensor,this is a common point of failure and the scan tool will tell you what temp it says the coolant currently is.Check it ice cold it will read -40 and watch it as it warms up,if all the sudden it jumps up 30* and then back down 30* its junk. 4.M.A.P. sensor.internally this has a rubber diaphragm and doesnt fair nearly as well in cold climates and hates rich mixtures,eventually gas gets to it,again watch the scale of it as you increase rpms,also it should be steady at idle. 5.Fuel pressure regulator.Ahigh pressure gauge will tell you if its within specs,it will jump around alot if ruptured These are probably the most common points of failure although I would consider them all premature for the age of your truck.I tell you some of these test because alot of dealers have scantools but not adequately trained personnel,so you may have to ask the right questions.Come on 12 times to the dealer and they cant fix it!!!what a bunch of yahoos!!!!!!Hope this leads you to Victory!...PRO..
Old 12-14-1999, 07:56 AM
Inactive User

Oh yeah forgot to tell you if youve run it very long in a rich condition you have probably ruined your O2 sensor,it will read on a scale of 1-1000 on the scantool and should fluctuate all the time,at idle it should be somewhere in the 400-600 range.....PRO..
Old 12-14-1999, 08:28 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

DuranGo, Pro:
Thanks for the info. I have another appointment in the AM with dealer for a just discovered broken coil wire (thank God for warranty). Just a couple of notes:
1. I'll have them check recall, coolant sensor,etc. tomorrow. 2. Had a leaking intake manifold replaced about 18k. 3. New computer and 02 sensor 3 weeks ago. 4. MAP sensor supposedly 'checked' and reprogrammed 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the helpful info. This is about my last resort before "lemon law".
PS. I was looking at old messages about mopar computer upgrades for my 98 360. However, I can't get the info. out of the on-line catalog at Mopar performance. Any ideas on web address or part #?

Thanks again,
Old 12-14-1999, 09:46 PM
Inactive User

Yea, the Mopar Performance site has moved some stuff around I couldn't find it either, but luckly I have the Catalog with me. The part number for the 1998 360 performance computer is P4876893. Hope that helps.

Tony