Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-29-1999, 11:48 PM
Inactive User

I have been trying to think of ways to get my SS/T to get a better launch off the line. As it stands right now, I probably lose a couple of 10th's off my 0-60mph cause I am sitting making lots of smoke. As cool as the smoke looks I am not going to win any drag races. What is even more scary that this is only with a K&N Filter put on, and with all the other mods that I want to do, like the R/T kit and computer, I am gonna roast my tires way too quickly.

I am just wondering what your thought are on it? I have though about going with some softer leaf springs in the back, to get a better wieght transfer over the rear wheels. Though this would screw my hauling ablity. I then though if I did that I could install an air suspension Kit that I could use if I needed to haul some heavy stuff around. Your thoughts, and does anyone know if what I am thinking is possible, or if I got my logic all wrong.

Thx

Tony
Old 11-30-1999, 01:28 AM

Wow... good question, mans search for traction, the never ending questions!! especially in a truck! I have seen a coupla different ways to do this, but still dont know what works best. One problem is tires, though our trucks (I have an Indy Ram) have "275s" on them, they are still pretty thin in the tread width department (I run 275 GSCs on my truck same as a vette and they are MUCH wider, a good 2 inches) anyway, past the tires Im not really sure. Stiffer shockes, traction bars (which I HATE!!!), stiffer/softer springs?? dont know which, I use to always thing stiffer, but maybe not. I did find a web page where a guy made his own traction setup, here is the URL: http://home.att.net/~flyboy01/360Dakota.html, there is another page with a homepage some where with a nother home made deal on it, but I cant find it.

-Clay
Old 11-30-1999, 07:47 PM
Inactive User

Any info you got on those tires your running would be great. As a result of all the tire smoking fun I have been having I will have to get new tires in the spring. If it helps enough to get me a little more traction off the line, it would be worth the cash. I also plan to do a 2/4" drop on the truck at the same time, so hopefully their won't be any rubbing.

Thx,

Tony
Old 11-30-1999, 10:15 PM

Well the tires I run are pretty nice pieces. You can just look at the tread and they scream "TAKE CORNERS FASTER!!!!" but there is on problem with the tires, they are very low profile, so if you dont lower the truck, they will look funny!! I did a 4/6 drop on mine with a DJM kit (upper and lower tubular control arms, very stiff, very nice!!) but with thse tires (275-40ZR-17 front, and 285-40ZR-17 rear) you loose 4 inches of tire diameter, or 2 inches of height, so Im really sitting down with a 6/8 drop...... anyway... they are GREAT tires, handle very well, very little tire flex at all, but they are EXPENSIVE!! 300 bucks + each, so I bought used ones, you would be suprised how easy it is to find used GSCs for 30 bucks each with 75% tread, (rich corvette owners ) but if your only going with a 2/4 drop, I think it would probably look funny. but if you found something with a 50 series in a 275 or so I would go with that! Idealy, if your not going for full out cornering performance and just want the straight line performance, I would go for a set of BFG Comp TA Drap Radial. Only problem is that they dont make them in a good size for our trucks, only a 275-40-17 again. But BFG makes a 275-60-17 in a Comp TA HR4 that a couple of my friends use and like. Hope this helps and isnt too jumbled .

-Clay
Old 11-30-1999, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

Your right with out the proper drop going with 275/40R17's would look dumb. I thought of going with a 2/4" drop because it didn't require a ton of work, where as a 4/6" drop would be more work and more costly. That and I still want to do some hauling around, and not have to worry about small curbs.

Though the idea of going with comp T/A hr4's would be a good idea. I was also looking at Yokohama's tires in that size, they seem to look good, I have no idea how they hold up.

In the spring after the 2/4" drop, anti sway bar, and new tires, I plan to do a little auto crossing (race around in a parking lot with cones set up). Will be going up against, everything possible, mustangs, vettes, RX-7's , everything. Should be fun.

Tony
Old 11-30-1999, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

TOE,
Truck souds cool!!!!!!! When you say having a hard time getting off the line???? What is your 60ft time & 1/4mitime & speed???
When talking about springs usually some what softer is better to a point.(from my experience) I had a 85 ram W/440 & only an open differential the springs were de arched & 1 leaf removed, with crappy tires it would hook well I ran a 14.17 at the mopar nats with little tire spin. (not fast but for the motor 160,000 mi plus with a RESTRICTIVE exhaust ok) As for the tires if you want bite try set of BF Goodgich Drag TA's or there are other companies that make DRAG/STREET tires & the ta's have the largest selection of sizes. You can also get re-caps of those HI-PO tires the other fella was talking about some sports car mags have the info & they are alot cheaper than new. My advice is befriend some anal vette guy who likes to keep good skins on his ride & get them free & show him how they are really supposed to work on a REAL machine.
V-10
Old 12-01-1999, 12:17 AM
Inactive User

Well I don't know my 60ft off hand, but my best 1/4mile is 15.67 @ 90miles an hour. All this out of a stock SS/T with a K&N Ftpk kit on it. This could be off a bit because this was taken from a G-Tech meter. It also told me I am getting about 220hp at the rear wheels. This was also with a 200lb friend of mine in the truck as well.

Now it isn't too bad of a spin out right now, but as I said int he spring I plan to do big things to my truck, get it up to 340hp or so, which means a whole lot more tire spin.

I took a look at the drag T/A's from BFgoodrich, that would be the thing to get when I go for some serious dragging. And would solve my spinning out at the track. As for everyday driving I am not sure what tire is the best. Though I do like the Goodyear GTII's for the fact that they make really nice smoke shows.

Sounds like your set up is what I was thinking about, dropping a couple of leafs in the back to get it to bite more, then run a couple of air suspension bags that I could inflate if I needed to haul some stuff around.

My goal is to get my truck to keep up to most sport cars (vettes, mustangs...) on the straight aways, and corner well enough to give em a good run for there money at the same time keeping it looking sweet and be a everyday driver. Possible?

Tony
Old 12-01-1999, 04:11 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Hi Toe, I've seen this done on dually 4x4's alot, they start by removing the 2nd largest spring in the pack, then add an air auxilary kit. The donut one is best, the spring around the rubber bag one needs substantial air pressure or it pinches the bag.
You might try a 4x4 trick as well, some of us use kicker shocks. They used to be available through Mopar Performance, but now straight through Rancho.
Thes Kickers have a bracket that sits on top of your rear springs, then a shock connects to a mount on your frame. They help slow rear axle wrap up in 4x4's where large engines and large tires are present.
Some people don't like them because they become useless fast. This is because Rancho includes Rancho 1000 shocks in the kit, switch to 5000's after and they last far longer. Last kit I bought was $50.00 Canadian, the 5000's were an another $50 later. I'd be interested to see if they help in this instance, might be worth a try, or at least a look.

Brian
Old 12-01-1999, 04:20 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Just adding in my .02

They do may traction bars for our trucks - that should keeping the back end from hopping when you are firing off the line.

I added a set of Hellwig / Sport Tech anti rear sway bars and can feel the difference. Especially when "powering" thru corners.

I lowered the rear 2" with dropped rear shackles and now it sits level (and takes away that big ugly looking gap between the bottom of the wheel well and the top of the tire.)

I can tell the difference and like the way it drives even better now . . .
Old 12-01-1999, 06:39 PM
Inactive User

you can also try reducing the tire pressure
in your rears, this will help a little.
Old 12-01-1999, 11:40 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for your tips and tricks guys. Much appreciate it. I was looking at that same anti sway bar that you have on your truck Ranman, I will probably get that after the 2/4" lower. That will help my cornering, but does it help you off the line. About the traction bars, anyone know who makes em for our rams?

I will take a look at all your ideas and see which one would be good.

Also anyone know in rough how much it would cost to do a 2/4" lower using belltech's stuff?

Tony

P.S. after finding out I am getting a rather large X-mas bonus this year, I think I will start these mods, sooner, then later.
Old 12-02-1999, 12:58 AM

Toe,
Before you stage the truck are you doing a burnout? I have a 97 Ram Ext. Cab 5.9L 3.92 Limited slip that has run 15.7, also only addition was a K&N. Unless you are running a Drag specific tire I wouldn't bother with a burnout. Make sure you drive around the water and do a couple dry hops before stageing. It works well for me! As far as suspension mods, listen to V10NACUDA's reply he built me a nice truck!
Old 12-02-1999, 09:15 AM
Inactive User

Traction is based on weight transfer,you are not getting much in your truck,its also based onweight bias,front vs rear,you have a rather stiff suspension that doesnt help.It would help to pull your front tires on a scale and then the rear,the numbers wont be accurate but will give you an idea of percentage of weight on front vs rear.Race cars shoot for 50/50 or better.You would be lucky if you hit 65/35.So what to do? 1.soften rear springs,this will let it"squat" better. 2.lighter or drag adj. shocks for front,this will let it lift sooner and higher 3.a pinion snubber,(M.P.)if you can install this on your diff. it will directly apply all the weight that transfers to the diff, which in turn plants the tires to the ground. 4.softer compound tires,BFG Drag Radials 5.add weight to rear,although this seems counterproductive if you get good traction the gains may outweigh the losses. Hope this helps...PRO..
Old 12-12-1999, 09:38 PM
Inactive User

I run Weld Draglites rims F15x7 R15x8 with Mickey Thompsons Sportsman 28x7.5"F StreetET's 28x12.5"R(widest in street class) when I'm at the track.
Forget cornering with these but you want bite they're the only way to go. I run them at 17lbs rear 32lbs front. 60' times 2.021
96 Indy Ram a few bolt ons 2x4 drop.(14.49@93.40 at Dragwaypark)
Viper GTS I got to race in 97 had a 60' of 2.095(like to see him at the track now)
You want to drop your rear end 2" to level it out. Helps in weight transfere & cornering
BFG Dragradials sec best at track but more appropriate for cornering. The bias ply are or can be a nightmare if you push em on ramps and corners(& forget the rain). M/T ET = .3 BFG DRadial = .2 improvement at the track
over your stock GY E GT II's

I still have to baby it off the line as I can spin them as well but the M/T are more consistant. Because they're basicaly a slick with some thin lines cut out and an extra wall in the wrinkle side to make them street legal.

Blair@WOT

[This message has been edited by RM Indy (edited December 12, 1999).]
Old 12-13-1999, 06:50 AM

I found something else that will help traction. (www.calvertracing.com) They make a really trick set of "traction bars" yet better...

Check em out...

-Clay
Old 12-15-1999, 04:08 AM
Inactive User

two words slicks.....gears
m/h cheater slicks probably 31 in .tall and
about 10.5 wide
and run no less than 4.10 gears with a traclock differential(posi-rearend)
you'll have all the launch you'll ever need
and seeing how you have a o/d tranny the low gears won't affect highway speeds that much.
the springs mother mopar put on your truck are perfect for moderate drag racing if it is a ss/t