Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-16-1999, 03:50 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have read (in the Keene Bell catalog) that they recommend always using synthetic oil. The quote is:

"... Red Line makes the most power for us. In back to back test by a magazine on our dyno, we documented 10 HP with Red Line used in the engine, trans and differential - and a corresponding 20 degrees drop in temperature...."

Now - I realize synthetic oil is great stuff. And I understand how tests can be set up to favor a particular product.

All that aside, let me add - they are NOT selling "RED LINE" products. They just have a few pages of modifications and that is what they said about oil.

Ever used "RED LINE" ???

Could swapping oil, trany and diff to synthetic produce an extra 5 - 10 HP ???

I find this hard to believe . . .
Old 12-17-1999, 12:12 AM
Inactive User

I have no idea if it is true or not but if it is true, where do I sign up, where can I get it???

Tony

P.S. Ram man, where did you get your Keene Bell catalog from?
Old 12-17-1999, 02:43 AM
Inactive User

I'm not a "red line" user, but I have had my own engines dynoed with a good quality synthetic and it does increase horse power.
The catch is, it is all on the top end.
On my last engine,after the motor was broken in, 18 dyno pulls on penzoil. Changed the oil to Torco, and it gained on the next pull 6 horse at 4700 rpm. I'm a Mobil One man myself, but I'm sure you could use any synthetic and get almost the same results. it depends on how your motor is built also.
I use mobil one in everything I own including the lawn mower. The main reason is it protects very well, and doesn't break down.
Old 12-17-1999, 05:21 AM
Inactive User

I'm the maintenance director at a transit garage. We operate a total of 6.5 million miles a year. Absolutely DO use synthetic engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and diff. lube in everything you can. Don't run the stuff forever between changes. I change my own every 3,000 miles. It's cheap insurance.
Up untill about 3 years ago I was the crewchief/engine tuner for the only Harley Davidson P/S motorcycle currently on tour with the NHRA. Synthetic oils do indeed free up horsepower. The reason for the power increase is the viscocity index. The synthetics are, in terms I understand, thinner and easier to pump. Less parasitic drag on the oil pump, less windage, etc.
Hope this helps...Bob
Old 12-17-1999, 03:34 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Kinda blows my mind that by simply changing oil - I can gain HP !!!!

I knew synthetic oil had it's advantages, but never imagined this much difference.

Guess what I'll be doing at MY next oil change . . . . . .
Old 12-17-1999, 03:40 PM
Inactive User

Toe:

Here's the address and phone number for Keene Bell:

Kenne Bell
10743 Bell Court
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

Phone: (909) 941 6646
Fax: (909) 944 4883

Nice catalog (cost 6 bucks). It's not big, but it's all DODGE specific performance parts.

"Good luck on your project."
Old 12-17-1999, 07:03 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Ram man, I will have to pick up one of those catalogs, and yup, my next oil change I think I will switch to synthetic as well. Can't hurt in -30 degree temperatures.

Tony