Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-12-1999, 06:22 PM
Plutonium Member

Question

A few serious questios:

Does anyone know why the factory puts in 195 degree thermostats instead of the 180 degree thermostats in our Rams since (per this chat group) our Rams run much better with the 180?

Does anyone know why there is not a factory rear window defroster available for our Rams?
(I can understand why the other companies don't, but didn't Dodge break the rules and is about about change and being different?)

Does the use of a 180 degree thermostat makes melting the frost off the windows take much longer the the 195 degree thermostat?
(I'm planning on ordering a K&N Gen II (or MOPAR equivalent)FIPK, JBA coated headers, and Flowmaster muffler as soon as I can verify they will fit a 2000 Ram, and MOPAR PCM (when the 2000 5.9L module is available) and will be adding the 180 degree thermostat at that time.)

Thanks for your serious answers & thanks for the inevitable not-so-serious answers, too.
Old 12-13-1999, 03:40 AM

the engineers have said that the vehicle needs to be 195 degrees in order for the smog crap to work correctly. the epa says the same thing. however the smog crap comes on at 180. so to keep the epa off the car companies butt you get 195. i but in a 180 in sept. 99 after my waranty was up. i have no problem with heating. i get just as warm as ever and if anyone has been in southern calif., the past few days the morning temp has been 32 degrees here in santee.
Old 12-13-1999, 06:45 AM

I have another question related to this. Lots of guys with Mustangs and Camaros (sorry to use those two cuss words... but its necessary) anyway...... lots of those guys use 160 degree thermostats... do you think this would go ok on our trucks if you dont plan to tow much???? or would this be too cold... any good explanation would be appreciated.....

-Clay
Old 12-15-1999, 01:11 AM
Inactive User

Question

I may be slow, but I can't figure out why a 180 degree thermostat makes the engine run better. Does it change the point at which your mixture is changed?
Old 12-15-1999, 03:17 AM
Inactive User

Go for it put in a colder thermostat, I put in a 160 degree one in the summer and to date have had no problems and it gets cold here in north jersey. definetely an increase
in power,with no defroster or heater probs.
Old 12-15-1999, 02:29 PM
Inactive User

Smile

I don't think it can actually add horsepower, but switching to a 180 degree thermo will reduce detonation and pre-ignition and do a superior job of keeping the engine in the ideal temp range. The main advantage of going to a 180 degree stat is that they don't wait until the engine is "hot" at 195 degrees before trying to cool down. And running cooler is definately better. (Check out the post in the Jeep and Truck chat about 180 thermo's Is there a problem ???)

"Good luck on your project."
Old 12-18-1999, 09:18 AM
Inactive User

Coolant temp has a direct effect on combustion temp.Typically the hotter the burn the more complete the burn and the lower the emissions(read unburned hydrocarbons).But that much heat in the chamber requires less ignition timing or else detonation occurs.A lower temp thermostat is considered "off road only" by the EPA but will lower combustion temp by as much as 100*!!A power increase is definitely available if the computer advances the timing.In most applications it does.Here in Colorado a 160 in the winter is marginal.But 180* is just fine.Stay warm..go fast...PRO...