Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-02-2000, 02:53 AM
Inactive User

I am still looking for advise fo my exhaust. This is my second Ram the first was a 96 and I installed edelbrock headers which I had to weld to the catalytic converter, and a Flowmaster 3"exhaust system. This had a great sound , I also should note that I had K and N air filter, but the power was only slighty improved and fuel milage did not increase at all. Frankly I didn't see $800.00 worth of improvement, Thats why I think there could be a better way (which is part of the fun) To increase performance and gas milage. I'm beginning think us Mopar boys are looking pretty foolish because my Chevy pickup buddies are getting 18-20 mpg and great power with a stock engine. I wouldn't trade my Dodge for one,but you kinda got to wonder whats mopar doing to us.
Old 01-02-2000, 06:31 PM
Inactive User

You have a couple of different options here: You can keep your stock pipes (I read your other post) and swap out the cat and the stock muffler for performance parts (say a CATCO hi flow cat and a Flowmaster muffler)

OR

You could do the cat back exhaust thing - both should yeild higher performance and I think the only way MPG would drop would be if you enjoyed the new sound at WOT and drove your RAM harder with your new equipment.

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Old 01-02-2000, 06:34 PM
Inactive User

JBA headers supposed to be about the best.Kenne Bell makes a very good set also.Maybe with a Gibson catback exhaust.Truck Performance Center 1-800-719-8100 has some good advice aand prices.JBA stainless steel headers for $379.Thats where i got mine,have'nt put on yet.The dealer does'nt want to fix a trans. problem i'm having. I figure they would my void my warrenty.

------------------