Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-03-2000, 09:55 AM
Inactive User

Question

Hey all, I seem to have developed a problem with my transmission. I got a 1998 ss/t. I was booting down the highway at about 70mph on cruse control and and I went up a steep hill the tranny kicked down to keep the speed up. The problem is that it stayed at that gear. It is like driving around with the overdrive off. I checked the tranmission fluid and it was fine. I let the truck rest for a bit, tried everything I can think of. What sucked is that I was 150miles from home on top of it all. The only thing I can think of that is was really dam cold out, like -20F. I don't think that would do anything concidering I had been on the road for 8 hours all ready and the truck would have been more then warmed up. So does anyone have the slightest clue to what might cause this?

Tony
Old 01-03-2000, 10:46 AM
Inactive User

Cool

The comp has a setting that limits OD upshift at cold temp. I ran across this in a V10 on a winter test drive. If they hook up the comp analyzer they can enable or disable this at the customers request, just like speed locks on an Intrepid. Seems the tranny likes to be warm when in OD, some comps are enabled from factory, some aren't. Hope this is all it is.

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills
Old 01-03-2000, 06:19 PM
Inactive User

Thx for the reply, after letting it sit the night and driving around a bit this morning it finally shifted back in. That could very well be the cause though, I don't think I have ever had the truck doing highway driving in that cold of a temp before. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Tony
Old 01-03-2000, 06:38 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

You know Toe, you just need to get that OD cold temp disabled by the dealer, then never worry about it again.

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills
Old 01-03-2000, 11:00 PM
Cyanide

Sounds too cold. Luckily, I don't have that problem in Florida.
According to my Owner's Manual, the overdrive will not work in -5 F or less. If it stops working, it will begin again once surrounding temp reaches 2F
Old 01-04-2000, 01:49 AM
Inactive User

Yah I will get them to disable that, being in Northern Canada, it is that cold for about 4 months or so out of the year. I am glad that it is just that, would suck to have the transmission go already.

Tony