Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-10-1999, 02:09 PM

Hi! I am new to Moparchat and I need some help choosing a high quality lift kit for my 98 4x4 Ram truck. Here are some specifics:

- 98 Dodge Ram 4x4 1500 truck
- 3" lift with new coil springs up front, double shock kit up front, add-a-leafs or blocks or both on the rear, and all of the necessary hardware to make the steering and geometry correct.
- 2 RS9000's up front along with 2 RS5000's with RS9000's on the rear.

Comments, advice and URL's on the best systems? My local 4x4 shop does not like Skyjackers and endorses Superlift. Should I go Class I or Class II and what is the difference???

Thanks to all for any help and advice!

Albin
Old 12-11-1999, 05:56 AM
Inactive User

I just had a 3" Black Diamond added to mine, and they ride pretty good. I believe that the classes represent stiffness and aggressiveness. Generally, a higher class will yield a harder ride, but more aggressive off-road. The higher class will also have more hardware in the kit. I'd visit www.superlift.com They have quite a few FAQ's avaiable. Wish I could be more help, but suspension lifts are not my specialty. From what I have noticed, someone on this board will give you exactly what info you are looking for.
Old 12-13-1999, 05:06 PM

Vortectoaster,

Black Diamond is Warn, right? Do you have an URL for them? How was your truck lifted, new springs in front or the coil spacers? I want the new springs in front so I get the extra 3" of travel. The spacers don't do that for you.

What shocks did you get and do you have the double shock kit up front. I want to stay away from replacing the rear leaf springs, due to cost and the fact that the gas tank has to be removed to get the left spring off the left front hanger.

Any other helpful hints and info??

Thanks,

Albin
Old 12-21-1999, 06:06 AM
Inactive User

I will try to find a URL for them. I went w/ new springs up front and add-a-leafs on the rear. I have since heard that trailmaster makes a good kit that is much easier to install, but don't know what type of components it has. I had no unusual hardships with mine. I went with the 5" on the front, and the 3" on the rear. Now the truck sits level. Every Dodge Ram that I have seen sits at least two inches lower in the front. You may want to measure your distance from the top of your tire to the bottom of the fender well on the front and back and see how many inches you will need to add to the front in order to make up the difference or achieve the look that you want. Mine is a Sport, and two extra inches of lift made it level out! I only went with the single shocks, because I do a lot of highway driving. The double kit was quite a bit more expensive too.
Hey, I just viewed your profile to get your email address and it said it was not available. Email me with your address or edit your profile so that when/if I find the URL I can send it to you. I'm gonna try to find it now!
Just found it at www.warn.com Use your search engine to search under "warn black diamond" I found this one, and another one that had a local dealer locater.
[This message has been edited by Vortectoaster (edited December 21, 1999

[This message has been edited by Vortectoaster (edited December 21, 1999).]
Old 01-05-2000, 01:33 PM

Vortec,
Thanks for the info, I just got back from the Xmas shutdown at Beoing, so that's why it took so long to check back.

I've pretty much made up my mind to go for the Superlift 3" lift kit with the double shock mounts up front. This kit has new coil springs up front so I get the extra wheel travel. My local 4x4 shop owner has a Ram and has this kit installed and really likes it.

Now, what about tires and wheels? I've noticed that the 16" tires are more expensive than 15" and 16.5". I also read the the 16.5" wheels do not have the the anti-bead lock on the inside of the rim that would help prevent the bead of the tire from coming off when the tires are aired down.

So how about Eagle Alloys 589 15"x10" with BFG AT T/As 35"x12.50's??

Any tire and wheel experts out there?

Thanks,

Albin