Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-27-1999, 07:32 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

I have a 98 1500 sport 360 motor,auto trans,
ram air hood,k&n filter,JBA headers,Gibson dual side exit exhaust,and 285/75/16 tires,
does anybody know if this new computer is any good or what it might do for my truck.
Im not worried about fuel mileage only horsepower and driveabilty. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-27-1999, 08:26 PM

Well as far as I am concerned the mopar performance computer is well worth the money!!! It is probably what I would recommend for the very first mod since the difference is night and day! With the mods you already have done, that will be that much better. Also, while talking about computers, I have heard lots of people complain about the JET and the Hypertech chips, I never owned one, but it made me happy I went with MP, everyone Ive talked to about it was happy...

-Clay
Old 11-27-1999, 08:52 PM
Inactive User

I have a 98 1500 Club Cab with a 318. I have been trying to find out if Mopar Performance makes a high performance computer for it also. I would prefer the Mopar Performance computer.
Old 11-28-1999, 01:48 PM
Inactive User

Dodgeman,

I believe they do you just have to call mopar
performance,I cant swear to it but Im pretty
sure they do have one for your truck.
Old 11-28-1999, 03:19 PM
Inactive User

O.K. so this is probably a dumb question, but does any one have a phone numer?
Old 11-28-1999, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

Does anyone know if mopar performance makes a computer for 97 Rams with 318? I recently purchased the hypertech module and experienced pinging once this thing was installed. I called hypertech and found out that they were having problems with the Dodge power control modules. Now I have to wait until monday to call them and see if they have a fix for this problem or just return the bloody thing. By the way, I disonnected the module and the truck no longer pings. If anyone has any info on mopar computers for 97 Rams please let me know!

mopar97
Old 11-28-1999, 10:18 PM
Inactive User

From what I can recall in a old post about the 97 mopar computers is that they are not avalible because they couldn't get them to meet emission standards.

You might want to ask Mikey about the Mopar Computer for the 98's. He put it in and from what I know of is getting good results with it. Gonna cost you a ton in gas though, gotta run the 92 octane when you get the computer. I will be getting mine in the spring.

Tony
Old 11-29-1999, 08:35 PM
Solar Yellow Member

Plumcrazy: The Mopar p/n for the engine controller for 98 5.9 Auto trans: P4876893 (Exc. California)
P4876892 (California Emissions)

DodgeMan: 95 was the last year for engine controllers for the 5.2 (according to the 99 Mopar catalog) you can call the Mopar Performance Tech line @ 1-248-853-7290. 1999 is the year for more performance parts for the Magnum engines so they might have come out after the catalog was printed. There are catalog updates in the Mopar Performance News Magazine. Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 11-29-1999, 11:52 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the information. I will let you all know what I find out.
Old 12-01-1999, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

Wink

I said I would tell you all what I found out so here it is. The Mopar Performance Tech support phone number listed above has been disconnected. The new number is (248)-969-1690. There is a high performance computer for the 98 Ram with the Magnum 318. The Part number is P4876895. An interesting note is this controller also raises the wide open throttle up shift point of the transmission by 500 rpm. My local Dodge dealer gave me a list price of $399. I am sure I'll find it cheaper somewhere else.
Old 12-01-1999, 01:09 AM
Inactive User

Dodgeman,

Take a look in some of the mopar mags and look for some ads that sell this puter I think it was chicago connection that gave me a price of $319 and mopar gives a $100 rebate
back on your old one. but if you dont ask about rebate nobody will tell you. Its not a dealer rebate only mopar will send money back to you.
Old 12-01-1999, 01:48 AM
Inactive User

Plumcrazy-
Just wondering how you like your Gibson Exhaust and how it sounds. I just got a 99 Ram 1500 5.2 and shopping around for a replacement exhaust sys. Any opinions or suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Old 12-02-1999, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

newRAMfan,

I love the gibson side exit dual exhaust. I did it at the same time as a set of JBA stainless headers so im not sure what type of diff. it would make without the headers,but I would recommend them to anyone.
As for the sound I like it too,Its got a very throaty sound,which I like.(not tinny)
Old 12-02-1999, 01:35 AM

The computer will make an excellent addition to your set up, but I wouldn't recomend towing. I am pretty sure MP recomends not towing when using the computer.
Old 12-05-1999, 06:18 AM

go see your local mopar dealer mopar is adding more and more coputers all the time. i have talked to several people who have tried the jet and hypertec chips and have been unhappy. no much power and drink fuel they don`t reprogram the coputer like mopar they trick it to read differet
Old 12-07-1999, 01:54 AM
Inactive User

Did my Mopar "Super Computer" when I did the R/T mod.

The best thing since sliced bread. (that's what my friends with Ford and Chevys say).

Turnin about 328hp now. Just did a 1/4 in 14.93 (unofficial).

Check out the new addition of Sport Truck Magazine...Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge....

Dodge won! The 97 SST is my buddies...he lives in Simi Valley, CA like I do.
Old 12-07-1999, 03:37 AM

Hey Mikey....

your buddy has a nice truck... kinda similar to what I plan to do come spring... got a question for ya though. Your friends truck has some funky looking traction bars/four link looking things on the rear end, you can see em hangin down in some of the pictures. What are they, and who makes em...

thanks!!

Clay
Old 12-07-1999, 06:20 PM
Inactive User

Hey Mikey, did you ever get your headers installed or are you still running around with out em?

I checked out your buds truck, very nice, if I ever decide to super charge my truck I would probably go the same route as he did.

Tony
Old 12-11-1999, 01:23 AM
Inactive User

SweetNLow,

I'll have to check (or ask) next time I see him on those traction bars....

Toe,

Not yet...I may change my mind on the JBAs though...may go with the KB "Pulse Headers" since I WILL supercharge the truck next year.
Old 12-22-1999, 12:08 AM
Inactive User

Just ordered my new MP puter and the guy told
me about having to get the puter flashed in by the dealer after it is installed. It needs
the vin # and mileage before it will work perfectly. He said something about the OBD3
Anyone hear or know about this?????
Old 12-22-1999, 03:27 AM
Inactive User

OBD3 stands for On-Board Diagnostics, third generation. This is the stuff the EPA requires car manufacturers to have on all their new vehicles. It basically is there to turn on your check engine light if the vehicle's emissions go out of spec. There are other things in it, of course, but that was the reason behind it. It is a standardized program that is in all new cars sold in the US. Different manufacturers use different codes and therefore you need different software in your scanner to read them. Basically your new computer just needs to be calibrated to your vehicle and checked to make sure it is working properly. By the way, did you know that Mopar offers a core charge payment for your old computer? Most guys don't go for this, because it's only $100, and if you ever want to do any towing, you are better off putting the original computer back in. Hope this helps...
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-22-1999, 02:53 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Here is one more idea - Kenne Bell has the "Optimizer" computer - it is suposed to have been developed to work perfectly without effecting fuel economy and emmisions. It reprograms, re tunes and "optimizes" the fuel and spark curve, tranny etc, under part and wide open throttle driving.

They claim 25 horse and more torque (25 ft lbs) for improved acceleration / throttle response etc.

While some other companies install a cheap 10 cent diode module in a sensor wire to alter the resistance value in hope to fool the computer, this method may trick the computer into making fuel and spark changes but the real result is: no REAL change in performance. You may have read in other posts that people have tried other kinds of "chips" with unimpressive results.

The Kenne Bell model is for RAM, Durango's and Dakotas from 94 - 99 (5.2/5.9/8.0 V10) but the cost is about 600 buck (WOW)

Just thought I'd pass that on.

"Good luck on your project."
Old 12-23-1999, 02:17 AM
Inactive User

RAM MAN,

Do you think its better than the MP puter or does it work in conjuction with it? If its worth the money id do it.

Thanx
Old 01-04-2000, 07:02 AM
Inactive User

HEY THERE. I ACTUALLY AM A PROUD OWNER OF THE JET PERFORMANCE MODULE. I PUT ONE IN MY 98 5.9 GRAND CHEROKEE AND MY FORMER 5.2 DODGE. I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH EITHER OF THEM. MY DODGE HAD 95K MILES ON IT WHEN I GOT RID OF IT AND MY WIFES 5.9 JEEP IS GOING ON 35K MILES. I INSTALLED THAT MODULE WHEN THE TRUCK HAD ONLY 100 MILES ON IT. I NOW HAVE MY SUPERCHARGED V-10 2500 QC BUT I DIDN'T PUT ONE IN THERE YET SINCE I AM OPTIMIZING MY OE COMPUTER.
Old 01-04-2000, 05:39 PM
Inactive User

I have a 98 dodge dakota sport with a 318 and a 3.92 limited slip. I installed the jet chip and was very disapointed! I felt no difference at all! Nothin, nadda. Piece of crap! It also screwed up the tranny one time. I put it in gear and it wouldn't get out of 3rd gear and started in 2nd. i had to use 93 octane gas with it to stop pinging. I eventually took it out and it's laying on the shelf. runs better without it anyway.

Just fumin'
jim
Old 01-07-2000, 06:25 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

HEY GUYS!!!! THAT MOPAR PERFORMANCE TECH NUMBER IS GOOD UNLESS YOU HAVE A MAGNUM ENGINE IN YOUR TRUCK. WHICH MOST OF US DO. THEY HAVE THERE OWN MAGNUM TECH LINE 1(800)362-3569 THATS WHAT THEY GAVE ME WHEN I CNTACTED THEM THE OTHER DAY.