Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-16-1999, 03:53 PM
Inactive User

I've seen them listed in JEGS / MOPAR / Summitt etc kinda catalogs - what's the deal ?

I've seen exploded pictures of the make up of a filter - do "performance" filter just have less fan folded filter to run the oil thru ?
Old 12-16-1999, 07:22 PM
Inactive User

Ok correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the high performance filters, such as my favorite, the Mopar Performance P4529190, are low restriction filters with a higher burst rating on the canister. These type filters my actually allow small particles to enter your oiling system. Remember, they are made mainly for race engines that need lots of oil, and get a lot of maintenance. Of course there are also a lot of "high performace" filters out there that just use the name as a selling point. They are normally no different than a factory 5281090 or 3549957. I run only Mopar filters as they are worth the extra cash in my mind(plus I get a discount, he he). I've had to many Fram filters burst at the seam.
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-17-1999, 01:08 PM
Inactive User

Elwenil,you are in for a shock.The Mopar filters are made for Chrysler by either Fram or the same company that makes Lee,Champ,and all of the parts store/department store/oil change center brand of filters.Found this out when I was at the Mopar parts depot one day and saw the boxes they were shipped in.Personally,I've always used Fram filters and have NEVER had a problem with one.We used to use their HP series racing filters,and the only difference was that the canister was thicker,so we went back to the regular Fram filter.My opinion is that I don't think a "racing" filter is going to filter any better than a regular one will.
Old 12-17-1999, 03:56 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips - that's what this forum is all about !!!

I have even seen ads for a K&N oil filter. I current use their air filter and am impressed with that, but don't know about their oil filter . . .

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by RAM MAN (edited December 17, 1999).]
Old 12-17-1999, 05:32 PM
Inactive User

RAM MAN,
I don't know what truck you have but I have found that most companies list the same part# for the V-10 oil filter that fits the avenger 4-banger. I found that FRAM # PH7226 works It has a larger capacity, its probably a couple inches taller. I don't know if the 360 & 318 use the same filter but it's an option. FYI Ma Mopar discontinued the larger filter & use the avenger one on the V-10 now also........
PS I will sent you the photos of the AAR hood later I finally got my camera back.

V-10
Old 12-17-1999, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

I'm not surprised that that Fram is an OEM supplier for Mopar, but my point is this: If you look at say, a 5281090 and the Fram equivalent from the local parts store, they are very different in design. The reason is this, to sell a cheaper(cost-wise) filter you have to make them cheaper. Oh and the last time I checked all the new Chrysler products used the 5281090 except the V10 trucks. The trucks used a "Severe Duty" filter that I can't remember the part number of now. I also seem to remember a TSB on the Neon a few years back on using a "409" filter for more ground clearance, but I actually never heard of anyone dragging their "1090" filter. I believe that if you check with most filter makers that have a "Race" filter, they will say that it filters less dirt in terms of micron size. I guess in a race engine that gets rebuilt often that lots of dirty oil is better than low oil pressure and volume.
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-18-1999, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

Usually it's about 30% of the filters are supplied by Fram.The other 70% are the Champ filters.The "409" filter on the Neon is the equal to the Fram 3614 that is the "teacup" filter as on the old 2.2 engines.The 1090 filter is a shade longer,and I guess Mopar didn't want to but any engines.I agree with the race filters probably filtering less dirt,but just for that reason I use a stock PH8A Fram in the street and race cars.
Old 12-23-1999, 05:48 AM
Inactive User

RAM MAN:

HEY!! I HAPPEN TO USE THE K & N OIL FILTERS IN MY 5.9 G. CHEROKEE AND MY FABULOUS V-10 QUAD RAM. THEY ARE MADE TO FILTER OUT THE SMALLEST PARTICLES AND TO INCREASE THE FLOW. THIS IS WHAT THEY CLAIM.
IT IS HARD TO COMPARE THOUGH SINCE I HAVE DONE THAT WITH BOTH MY TRUCKS. I'VE BEEN USING K&N FILTERS IN ALL MY VEHICLES WHICH I'VE NEVER BEEN DISSAPPOINTED.
Old 12-31-1999, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

i havent matched the filters on the magnum motors with the older style 318,3740,360,400,440 and 426 but the filter from fram was a ph8a wich fit all these motors on the other hand i replaced the filter on the 95 ram 318and was surprised to see that it called for a shorter oil filter than the older 318 and so on i have always used fram or ac delco or any other name brand oil filter that is on the market they all seem to be reliable
some time ago i was in a course for mechanics and the instructors had a wide yariety of oil filters cut open no name cheapos to top of the line filters and also factory filters the cheapos had shredded up news paper in them and all the other filters had paper elements and it is correct hi performance filters have a thicker can on them do to the higher oil pressure needed to get the oil to all the needed places during hard acceleration(watch your oil pressure guage when ya step on the gas it drops just a we bit then picks back up)
Old 01-01-2000, 05:19 AM

performance oil filters have a higher burst preasure at the seam. man with the v-10 chrysler went to a small er oil filter they now use the 5281010 because the long one were being knocded of in accidents and causeing fire we had a bunch of long ones then they disappered i asked why recalled safftey hazzard
Old 01-02-2000, 06:11 PM
Inactive User

Wink

Thanks for all the info !!!

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Old 01-09-2000, 04:01 PM

I have a dual remote oil filter setup in my 98 CC SB 1500 4x4. I use Amsoil PH8A-equivalient (in size anyway). The Amsoil filters are supposed to have higher flow rates, better filtration and higher filter capacity before they clog up. I improve on all of this by having the two filters in parallel. I also have a Perma cool oil cooler, too.

The dual remote setup is easy to install in the 98 Ram with 5.9L engine. It goes just to the left of the radiator looking towards the engine. I use 5/8" ID stainless braided hoses that are rated to 1500 psi or something like that and it looks real cool. Figure about $50 for the remote unit, plus $80 for SS hoses, and because I wanted to use 5/8" ID hoes, figure another $65 for the fittings (although I could have returned the ones I didn't use).

With this set up its easy to add the Amsoil bypass filter which will filter particles down to .1 micron, which is 10-15 times smaller than regular filters. Its pretty large filter and gives you added oil capacity as does the dual remote oil filter setup. My oil capcity is now just below 8 quarts vs. the stock 5 quarts.

Before I became an Amsoil dealer (just to get the stuff cheaper) I used Fram oil filters exclusively. I have one of the big Fram filter guides with the complete specs on all Fram filters. I ALWAYS changed my oil filters on my vehicles to the Fram PH8A filter: bigger size, cheaper to buy and you can get them anywhere (or their equivalent). You just have to make sure that the thread size is correct (3/4x16, I believe) and the inside and outside gaskets sizes are the same. The only other consideration is the length of the filter. A PH8A won't fit on my 92 Pathfinder, so I installed a single remote filter unit in it and now it can use the PH8A-sized filters.

If you want to know what bigger size filter will fit your vehicle (except for length), let me know and I'll provide the complete list of Fram oil filters that will fit.

I hope this helps.

Albin