Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-08-2000, 05:28 AM
Inactive User

Question

In a recent posting Mikey identified 3 Flowmaster exhaust systems - a 30 Series (2 chamber), a 50 series (3 chamber) and a 70 series (also a 3 chamber). I'm all set to have a Flowmaster muffler put on my '99 Ram (keeping the stock cat, and using dual outlets from the muffler), but I didn't realize there were different models. How do the "Series" differ from one another (what do the "30" "50" and "70" represent)? Also, what is the benefit/disadvantage of 2 chambers vs. 3? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2000, 12:57 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Good questions - here is their website:
www.flowmastermufflers.com

It takes a little while to load, but has lots of good info.

Different series have different "flows". Which also has to do with how loud they are. There are some good "exploded" pictures there as well.

Worth checking out.

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Old 01-08-2000, 07:21 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info. The Flowmaster Web Site was a big help.
Old 01-09-2000, 01:25 AM
Inactive User

Cool

DERam,

The differences in the three are really a matter of taste in sound and a little in performance. All will make a noticeable difference in performance (HP and mpg) and the real difference is in sound.

The 30 series will be quite loud (both on the outside and inside). The 30 series will tend to give you that droning sound on the freeway at around 65-75 mph depending on the rear end ratio (its about 65mph with 4.10s).

The 50 series (the one I got) is a quite on the inside at freeway speed as the stock, until you nail it, then you get a really cool rumble out the back. If you go with the 50 series, go for the SUV type (P/N 53057). It has a 5" thick case that really keeps the inside of the cab quite.

The 70 series is what Flowmaster calls the Big Block muffler. It has a thick case and is as quite on the inside and outside as stock, no matter what you do with the gas pedal. The 70 series is highly recommended if you tend to tow on long trips.

No matter which way you go, make sure you go 3". If you want all the HP and mpg you can get, stick with the single 3" out the side (as stock). The dual out has a different sound but does not run as efficiently as the single 3".

Well so much for exhaust....you probably just wanted a short answer didn't ya...

------------------
98 Reg Cab SWB Sport, 360, Auto, 4.10s, Red, White Rallye Stripes, 3" Flowmaster, K&N Gen II, Mopar Magnum R/T (Cam, Underdrive Pullies, Super Computer), 2" Rear Drop, Hellwig Antisway, VGX Brakes.

On the way:
1). Kenne Bell Pulse Headers
2). Kenne Bell Supercharger
3). Rims and Tires

Old 01-09-2000, 08:02 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

I also have the Flowmaster. This is a two
chamber, 3" single in/out. Works great!

Hey Mikey, the Flowmaster is known to be a
"pulsed" designed muffler, I'm very curious about the KB pulse headers you mentioned working with this type of muffler. This may
be the optimum exhaust scavenge combo. Could
be very noticable in the seat of the pants area.
Old 01-09-2000, 07:47 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

I know a little about the Kenne Bell exhaust. It features 20 engine / 16 rear wheel horsepower upgrade. They claim the the power from their "BIG BOY" single exhaust to be within 1 percent if you were to just totally remove the exhaust (no muffler). It is a straight thru design, the pipes are mandrel bent and made of 304 stainless steel (they also have aluminized). They have a mellow throaty kinda sound and bolt right on. Pipes are 3" in diameter.

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."