Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-12-2000, 02:20 AM
Inactive User

Hi, all.

I recently put a Vortech on my 97 5.9. I am in the 'working the bugs out of it' phase.

Under boost, I could smell raw fuel, pretty strong, enough to worry about possible fire under the hood (I could also smell it at 90mph under a slight bit of boost). I've been carrying a fire extinguisher for the last 2 weeks just in case. Yes, it smelled that bad, and I've been around cars for 30 some years.

Imagine putting the intake tract under 6 pounds of pressure, and you get the idea. Air (and fuel mix) escape out of any offrice it can. In my case, it was the air horn gasket, and I'm calling it the throttle positioning unit, and a slight bit out of some type of unit at the back of the throttle body that has a plunger in it.

Silicone copper during reassmbly should fix me right up. I'll find out when I fire it up tomorrow morning.

So, any of you blown Rams out there that smell gas after a run, might check this out. I could tell pretty easily by looking at the intake manifold for clean areas.

Mada