Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-17-2000, 08:02 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have a `96 3500 T.diesel 4x4 with 51k on the clock. My problem is that for about the last 3k miles whenever it goes into OD it will shudder with a light touch on the throttle, but if I put my foot in it a little more the shudder goes away. I have done a trans. service with no difference, I just did a complete fluid flush. This seems to have helped a little but not much. I am using 7176/ATF plus3. The problem goes away completly above 55 mph. I am running it w/OD off until I get above 55, but by then I'm almost against the gov.. Been at three shops and all have different answers ranging from needs new control mod. to new trans. and torqe converter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Tom
Old 01-18-2000, 12:43 AM
Inactive User

My first question is are you sure it's 4th gear and not the convertor clutch? Try this, when driving, pay attention to the upshifts when your starting from a stop. Should go 1-2-3-4 then another 300-500rpm drop which is the convertor clutch. See if you can tell whats chattering. Also, when cruising if you lightly push the brake pedal (to turn on the lights) the convertor will unlock. Let me know what you find.
Old 01-18-2000, 01:02 AM
Inactive User

It is your lock-up torque converter, check with tour local Dodge dealer to see if their is a PROM update so the converter slams into lock-up mode insted of gradually slipping into it. They want it to gradually go into lock-up so it dosnt feel like a 5th gear. A PROM update only works if your torqur converter is not burnt up already. By the way PROM stands for PROGRAMABLE READ-ONLY MEMORY
Old 01-18-2000, 01:55 AM
Inactive User

Kpzbee, it is definately when the torqe converter locks up. I have tried the brake pedal routine and when it unlocks the problem goes away.

V10ram, I checked with a local dealer about 2 months ago and the only flash update they could find for the prom was for 2nd to 3rd upshift after downshift w/OD off. I had them flash the prom for that about a year ago, though it didn't make any difference.

Would either of you if there is a performance tcm prom available, my dealer hasn't been much help.
Thanks again

Old 01-18-2000, 02:20 AM

Tom go to http://www.lubegard.com
and look for Dr. Tranny Shudder Fix this stuff will take care of your problem I had the same thing in my 93 dually and I put this in and the problem went away I promise this will work

[This message has been edited by MOPARCHAS (edited January 17, 2000).]
Old 01-18-2000, 10:44 PM
Inactive User

You could try the additive that moparchas recomended & If that dont work, sound like it will need the torque convertor replaced. A repitable trans shop could install a reman convertor for less than what a dealer would charge. I would recomend getting it fixed if the additive dont work due to excessive heat buildup when towing. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2000, 03:52 AM

you have a bad torque converter clutch contact me at 909-204-8174 i have a new mopar one in a box. i`m glad to see that you are using 7176 most shudders are caused by other types of fluid. there are some updates for the jtec (engine control module) but none adress shudder sorry
Old 01-20-2000, 04:14 PM
Inactive User

Check the TPS to make sure it is correctly adjusted and functioning. The TPS should produce at least 1.2V at idle. Lower voltages produce TC lockup shudder because the lockup clutch does not have enough pressure to maintain lock.

Instruction for testing and adjusting the TPS are posted: http://dodgeram.com/technical/transm...TPS_adjust.htm
or http://www.ecpe.vt.edu/~dfritz/techn...TPS_adjust.htm
Dave
Old 01-21-2000, 04:20 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Thanks for all the help! I`m going to check the tps, if thats working properly I am considering the additive that moparchas suggests, and if that fails then I will probably give mopartec a call and see how much a torque converter will run me. I wonder if there is a H.D. converter available, either through Dodge or the after market?
If anyone has any other thoughts I'd be happy to hear! Thanks again everyone
Old 01-21-2000, 04:27 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Mopartec
Where is the engine control module located on my truck? I thought only the `98 and newer diesels had the engine control module. I also would like to find the transmission control module... Thanks