Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-07-2000, 09:00 PM
Inactive User

Question

Hello all! I have been checking out this site since I bought my 98 RAM 1500 318 a few months ago and it has proved helpful.

Among the many things I want to do to my truck, one is to add driving lights to provide better visibility at night. Anyone have experience with this? I don't know much about cars & trucks, so I was going to opt for some lights (~$60-$100) and one of the remote control switches I have seen to avoid running anything thru the firewall.

Any comments on this?

FYI Other future mods: Adding steps on the side, replacing the exhaust, K&N air filter, and Rhino or LineX bedliner.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2000, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

Go for the factory Mopar accessory lamps. They are easy to install, as it is almost a plug in deal. Plus they mount just like the ones on the trucks with the factory option. I've done several of these installs, and it's a piece of cake, and the lights work terrific. Most of the wiring is already in the harness, so there is no holes to drill or anything.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
www.elwenil.cjb.net
72 Charger SE
Old 01-07-2000, 11:52 PM
Inactive User

Wink

One other option, that would probably save you money and still look good is the PILOT series lights. That's what I installed on my 98 Quad Cab - the fit right in the factory holes. Here's the info you need:

Part number PL114B is the blue lense
Part number PL114C is the clear lense

Comes with the wiring harness and switch (I wired mine so they come on with my parking lights) Comes with a lifetime warranty.
Installation is easy.

Just giving you another option.

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Old 01-07-2000, 11:56 PM
Cyanide

As El says the Mopar lights are EZ. If you decide to go with other lights, most of your better lights, (Hella, PIAA, KC) have decent wiring diagrams that you can follow.
Also, running wires through the firewall is fairly simple in a Dodge. There is a nice big rubber stopper/grommet that you can poke a hole through for your switch wires. The grommet is just to the right of the steering column under the hood.
Old 01-08-2000, 05:39 AM
Inactive User

ACE....
YOU CAN GO WITH THE STOCK LIGHTS BUT I DON'T THINK THEY ARE WORTH IT. LIKE THE SAYING GOES " YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" I WOUND UP REPLACING MINE AND SENDING THOSE TO A GARBAGE DEPOT. IF YOU WANT AN INEXPENSIVE LIGHT GO WITH PILOT BUT FOR A FEW EXTRA DOLLARS PIAA HAS A SET THAT FITS IN THERE PERFECTLY. DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE WIRING, ITS A PIECE OF CAKE. I'VE ALREADY RAN 3 SETS OF LIGHT WIRES, EXTRA GAUGES, HIGH OUTPUT STEREO CABLE AND THATS REAL THICK. IT ALL WENT THROUGH THE FIREWALL WITHOUT AN PROBLEMS!
Old 01-20-2000, 05:32 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Thanks everybody for the info...I hope to do this mod pretty soon. Meant to do it last week but the flu got me.

I will post what I get and how it works out.
Thanks!
Old 01-21-2000, 05:24 AM
Addicted Moparchat Member

i have a 99 ram 1500 that i have 6 inch chrome KC daylighters on the front bumper. because of the hood, you can't mount them on the bumper, and plus i don't like drilling holes in my truck unless i really have to. i went to a welder and had two stainless steel mounts made out of flatbar. in kind of a z shape. they bolt in the hole where the plastic inserts clip in the bumper (mine didn't come with those) and they extend up to bumper level and then out about an inch to form a mounting pad. cost was about 40 dollars for the mount, and KC makes a kit for 90 bucks that incledes lights, wiring and switch. they are 100 watts, but you can upgrade to 165 watt sealed beam bulbs. these lights make a WORLD of difference along with a quality set of fog lights in the bumper. i ran my wiring through the outer fender and cut a slit in the wiring tube that goes from the cab to the door to get in the cab. much easier than going through the firewall. i then sealed the slit with silicon caulk. e mail me if you need anymore help with lights. i have a total of 12 aftermarket lights, so i think i can help....
Old 01-21-2000, 06:19 AM
Inactive User

I also recommend the Mopar lights. Cleanest way to go and they fit good. I believe they run about 140.00 for the kit.
Old 01-21-2000, 08:02 PM
Inactive User

Smile

The Pilot brand lights come in a kit specifically for the Ram. They include everything including a bracket to mount them to the radiator core support. I have the Blue lenses which when turned on are amber, like regular fog lights. They cost about $45.00.

Pt# PL114B blue lens (fog lights)
Pt# PL114C clear lens (driving lights)

I like mine!

------------------
Lead, follow or get Rammed!