Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-09-2000, 10:02 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

I have a suggestion for people who want to use a synthetic blend oil as opposed to full synthetic. I've heard that synthetic blend oils may be more conventional than synthetic since there is no ratio on the bottle. Even if there is a teaspoon of synthetic to the rest conventional tey can call it a "blend". I just use 1 qt. full synthetic to 5 qts of a good conventional. I have a 95 Ram w/318 and have been doimg this for the last 4 years with no complaints. I still channge it at 3k miles and use a good filter like Fram or Castrol Maxpro. Hope this helps someone. Rambo.
Old 01-09-2000, 11:22 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Thats a good idea!! At least you know what your putting into your engine. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-09-2000, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

Smile

I agree with you Rambo, I mix my own blend have never had any internal problems yet. But like you said I believe changing every 3000 miles (oil & filter) is more important than what type of oil
Old 01-11-2000, 06:07 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

There is one true Syn-Lube that I will be changeing to and that is Red Line check out there web site, they will send you a nice package of info. You can also contact them on there site.
Old 01-11-2000, 09:36 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mike:
There is one true Syn-Lube that I will be changeing to and that is Red Line check out there web site, they will send you a nice package of info. You can also contact them on there site.
The blend I mix is 1qt Red Line to 5 qts Castrol. I think Red Line is the best synthetic out there but at $8.00 a qt. an oil change can be expensive even at 6 month intervals. So I guess using the blend at 3k miles is the next best thing. Is Red Line putting out a synthetic blend? I have also used their Water Wetter cooling system additive and my truck runs 10 to 15 degrees cooler. Changing to a Fram PH8A filter also allowed me to use 6qts of oil instead of 5 which also helps keep the temps down.
Rambo
Old 01-12-2000, 02:32 AM
Inactive User

Question

Rambo, you say your switching to a Fram PH8, I'm assuming it is a larger filter. Is there anything special to do,or is it just a different filter? thanks.
Old 01-12-2000, 03:20 AM

the ph8a has the same threads as the stock short filter. the only differance is the length, and more filter area
Old 01-12-2000, 07:19 AM
Inactive User

Speaking of oil and filters, does anyone know if there is a way to put an oil cooler on a 95 V-10? Also there is nothing in the Red Line oil info. pakit saying they make a blend.
Old 01-12-2000, 02:58 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

According again to some info I read from the Kenne Bell catalog - they only put "Red Line" in all their vehicles. They claim that in back to back tests, a magazine documented 10HP increase with Red Line used in the Engine, Tranny and diff, and a corresponding 20 degree drop in temperature.

Just passing on what I've read. But if that's true - even if you get 5HP for just changing fluids - that's an easy upgrade !!!

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Old 01-12-2000, 03:34 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by RAM MAN:
According again to some info I read from the Kenne Bell catalog - they only put "Red Line" in all their vehicles. They claim that in back to back tests, a magazine documented 10HP increase with Red Line used in the Engine, Tranny and diff, and a corresponding 20 degree drop in temperature.

Just passing on what I've read. But if that's true - even if you get 5HP for just changing fluids - that's an easy upgrade !!!

Thanks for the info,Ram Man,I'm hoping to do my tranny fluid and filter this spring.There is a reputable trans. shop in my area that flushes trannys. I'd like to change over to red line altogether but thats a little too pricey for me right now. If I just change the fluid and filter(dropping the pan) how many quarts will I need to refill?
Thanks again,Rambo
Old 01-14-2000, 02:30 PM
Inactive User

I know the initial posting concerns synthetic blends but I also saw some of you guys talking about oil filters. Here's a web site that took apart quite a few oil filters and dicusses their findings.

Rich
http://minimopar.simplenet.com/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 01-14-2000, 08:21 PM
Inactive User

RAMBO:

A "Drain and fill" on a auto tranny should need 4 quarts.

for a manual tranny - it depends on which one you have -
the NV3500 need 2.2 quarts and the NV4500 needs 4.

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Old 01-21-2000, 09:39 PM
Inactive User

Question

Has anyone had any experience/info on K&N's oil filters?