Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-07-2000, 01:34 PM

Question

I have two welders: both Lincoln Electric, one MIG the other the AC-225 stick welder. I would like to make and install axle trusses with integral diff ski plates.

So, can I, carefully, weld to the axles of my 98 1500 CCSB 4x4? If so, where can I find info on how to do it and some hints on what NOT to do?

Thanks,

Old 01-07-2000, 01:47 PM
Inactive User

Question

I'm not sure about this one and here's why: When my friend (who owns his own auto shop) helped me install the rear anti sway bars - the first thing he said was: Your not going to try to weld those on are you ? I remember him saying something like the heat would screw things up internally. I'll try to get a better answer for you.

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Old 01-07-2000, 02:44 PM
Inactive User

It has a lot to do with the heat involved. When you place your weld, it heats up the surrounding metal. As the metal cools, it contracts. This can actually bend your axle tubes and cause you a ton of problems. It can be done, however. You have to remember to keep your welds small, and space them out. It's a lot like welding on quarter panels. Place a 1 inch weld here, then go to the other side and do a 1 inch weld there. Remember that you are trying to avoid a lot of heat build up, so don't "burn it in." There are also some clay-like products that you can pack around where you are welding. This will absorb a lot of heat. Another thing is the weight of the truck. If you are going to weld these on without taking the axle assemblies out, support the weight of the truck on jack stands, but don't let the axle hang on the springs. The idea is to keep the weight of the truck from affecting the axle as it cools, and to keep the axle's own weight from bending it. I'm not saying that you can't do this without taking these precautions, but no professional welder would concider it. Also keep in mind that an axle truss is made to protact your axle from light impact, but it you hit it in the center real hard, it will bow your axle tubes down.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
www.elwenil.cjb.net
72 Charger SE
Old 01-07-2000, 03:27 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Albin,
I think Elwenl hit the nail on the head... Treat it like a 1/4 panel & keep the heat to a minimum. We have all changed pearches before & that is a concentrated area to work in. Wet towels on either side of your weld would be another idea to sink the heat away! Keep the weight off it when welding. You might want to change the oil when you are done if you don't drain it first.

Elwenil, good tip on the tyenol tranny tranny plug..... Any other bargin basement tool tips??? This might be a good topic for you to post!

Good luck Albin

V10
Old 01-07-2000, 07:21 PM

Thanks for all the good responses. One comment you brought up was to talk to a prefessional welder. I think I'll do that and see what says.

Thanks again!

Albin
Old 01-07-2000, 10:25 PM
Inactive User

I have done a lot of axel housing welding and the best way is to use a clean housing. The problem with that much heat is that you do run the risk of a gear oil fire (I've seen it happen) plus you may end up with crystalized gear oil which can cause you problems if they enter the gears or the posi.(excuse the GM term) its almost like putting sand in your diff. Just my .02 cents.
Old 01-08-2000, 01:00 AM

I have rewelded Axle perches on Housings for Spring placement when we moved them inboard but always on an empty housing. I am sure the oil would get cooked.

Larry
Old 01-08-2000, 05:04 PM
Inactive User

Not sure about the Ram axle housings but the new Grand Cherokees and the new Dakotas have aluminum axle housings.
Old 01-22-2000, 10:36 PM
Inactive User

I've done a little bit of welding. If you have a welding supply shop near you get some stuff called "cold fire". You can weld an inch away from this this stuff touch it and it will be cool. It takes the heat right out.So just apply it on eithier side of where your welding. As far as your heat don't turn it way down you won't get any penetration. You need to weld a little bit at a time, and cool it after each weld. Good luck!!!