Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-22-2000, 03:05 AM
Inactive User

Question

I recently saw on the bulletin board, someone said that 98 and up Rams come from the factory with a 3” exhaust. At the time I thought this guy must be nuts. I finally remembered to measure it recently. Guess what, it is 3 inches. I apologize to who ever it was that wrote that note. I noted that this isn’t only a 3” exhaust, but it looks mandrel bent too. I was just getting ready to buy a 3” cat back system. It doesn’t make sense to at the moment. I was thinking of replacing the factory muffler with a 3” in and out heavy duty turbo muffler from Jegs. It looks like it might be from Dyno-Max. Has anyone tried one of these, or know of another 3” in and out muffler that fits into the factory exhaust? This is a family truck (my wife drives it), so I can’t increase the exhaust note by much. Does any one know of a cat back exhaust that is bigger than 3”? I also noticed that the pipes from the exhaust manifolds to the dual inlet converter…well they suck. I don’t understand how they could be smart enough to put on a 3” exhaust, and leave the pipes before the converter the way they are. Does any one know of any cat forwa
Old 01-22-2000, 03:49 AM

Dodgeman,
Last year thanks to a friend at a Dodge dealership I utilized the mandrel bent 98 up factory exhaust. I have a 97 5.9 Ram which I took a 98 V10 tailpipe and hangars and installed on my truck. I used a Dynomax Ultraflo 3" in and out muffler. I also had to replace the pipe from the cat to the muffler to get it up to snuff. You may have to add a section of pipe to yours because the factory muffler is fairly long. As far as the cat forward goes, the engineers certainly didn't have performance on their mind that day. I would be willing to bet that if you replaced the cat forward portion first you would see a bigger gain then the cat back. I have not seen any kits available yet. When I get a set of headers I will be replacing the cat and the pipe.

SJS440

[This message has been edited by SJS440 (edited January 21, 2000).]
Old 01-22-2000, 04:34 AM
Inactive User

Cool

I think I have to take credit for the 98+ 3" factory claim (yes, its mandrel bent too). When I bought my Ram in 98 I did mucho research on what would be the best exhaust for it. After lots of advice from Ram owners and really getting confused, I called Flowmaster and got a hold of a knowledgeable person who really cared about what was best for my truck and my wallet. He was the one that I got the best (and accurate) information. So I followed his advice and just bought the 50 Series SUV muffler (53057) and kept the rest of the pipe.

BTW, JBA makes a cat forward setup for the Ram. I was about 3 milliseconds from buying one, but then I decided to go with the Kenne Belle setup (not purchased yet....need $) since I do plan to supercharge the truck late this year. Figure I should stick to a complete package for a major upgrade like a supercharger.

------------------
98 Reg Cab SWB Sport, 360, Auto, 4.10s Sure Grip, Very Red, White Rallye Stripes, 3" Flowmaster, K&N Gen II, Mopar Magnum R/T (Cam, Lifters, Underdrive Pullies, Super Computer), 2" Rear Drop, Hellwig Antisway, VGX Brakes, Billet Ram Hood Emblem.

On the way:
1). Kenne Bell Pulse Headers
2). Kenne Bell Supercharger
3). Rims and Tires
Old 01-22-2000, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

Truck Performance Center,1-800-719-8100,carries different brands of cat-forward Y-pipes.The JBA I received from T.P.C. didn't fit my DAK.Waiting on Kenne Bells'.
Old 01-23-2000, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

My 96 came with factory perf exh.(3") Threw on a 3" 50 Flowmaster & noticed my 60' times increased. Lost some bottom end torque but gained slight top end hp(mph almost the same). Flowmasters do work but on a 4000lb + truck it takes torque to move them. I did'nt like the sound of the Flowmaster. Above 3500 it was real loud. Street use not recommended(by me or wife). Had a cop crawl all over & under within 1 week after install.Only had K&N headers & Flowmaster at the time. (My opinion concerning my truck, please don't take offence!)
Swapped stock plumbing & Flowmaster for a Edelbrock Catback & got modest improvement over stock setup.(.15max)
The biggest exhaust improvement I've got was from dumping the stock catalytic. The stock cat died after 2 full seasons of bracket racing. Not happy with the looks of the stock cat I put in a Magnaflow Hi Flow cat. Figure it gave me around .35-.45 improvement on 1/4. Cant' be positive on that #. Might be even better as I also put on 8mm wires,cap, rotor & Bosh Plat. plugs & my season best dropped .66 on the 1/4 (98 15.15-99 14.49). Was amazed at how restrictive the stock cat looked when it was cut open. Hi flow cats are cheaper than a reasonable catback setup yet will probably yeild 2x the performance improvement on the 1/4(depending on your exh). The exhuast note change was worth every cent on it's own. The 5.9 sounds like a big block,not too loud but real deep.

Oh yeah if the 98+ 3" exh is the same as the 96 performance, if you swap out muffler leaving in the stock pipes you will want to check & make sure that between the cat & muffler that the pipe isn't reduced to 23/4. as on the 96 setup. Bump it to 3" as well.

[This message has been edited by RM Indy (edited January 23, 2000).]
Old 01-23-2000, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Thanks for the information. I do need to keep the truck quiet. I've got to get my Challenger running soon to make some real noise.
Bill
Old 01-24-2000, 02:46 AM
Inactive User

RM Indy,

Can't tell what went on with your Flowmaster, but my 0-60 times went down, and bottom end torque went up (Dyno Tested before and after). I used a 50 series SUV muffler with a 5" case that keeps the interior sound almost to the level as the stock setup. I do have to say that at highway speeds (75 mph) the Flowmaster is quiter than the stock.

------------------
98 Reg Cab SWB Sport, 360, Auto, 4.10s Sure Grip, Very Red, White Rallye Stripes, 3" Flowmaster, K&N Gen II, Mopar Magnum R/T (Cam, Lifters, Underdrive Pullies, Super Computer), 2" Rear Drop, Hellwig Antisway, VGX Brakes, Billet Ram Hood Emblem.

On the way:
1). Kenne Bell Pulse Headers
2). Kenne Bell Supercharger
3). Rims and Tires

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited January 23, 2000).]