Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-21-2000, 04:50 PM
Cyanide

Question

I was wondering what it costs to put in a cam and springs?

I don't want to mess with this myself since I need my truck most everyday. If any of you paid to have this done, about what does labor cost and what Cam did you buy, Lift/Duration?
Old 01-21-2000, 07:22 PM
Inactive User

I'm not sure what it costs,but have you considered changing rocker arms to 1.7 ratio.It's cheaper and easyier to install,and only about 6 horsepower different,10hp verses 16hp. I've got Crower stainless steel 1.7s(very nice).Crane, Wolverine,MP, Sig Erson,and I believe Comp Cams all make rockers.Valve springs will have to be changed also to avoid coil bind.
Old 01-22-2000, 04:49 AM
Inactive User

I had the R/T kit installed a few months ago. I do have to say it is a R/T kit equivalent. I had Dick Landy Industries do it. Took them 8 hours.

The cam, lifters, push rods, springs, etc are slightly more radical than the Mopar R/T kit supplies. The mod ran $1500 including labor.

BTW, underdrive pullies, MP Super Computer where installed with the above.

Lots of smiles with a lot of rubber being left behind along with raised eyebrows from the Chubbies and Frauds.

------------------
98 Reg Cab SWB Sport, 360, Auto, 4.10s Sure Grip, Very Red, White Rallye Stripes, 3" Flowmaster, K&N Gen II, Mopar Magnum R/T (Cam, Lifters, Underdrive Pullies, Super Computer), 2" Rear Drop, Hellwig Antisway, VGX Brakes, Billet Ram Hood Emblem.

On the way:
1). Kenne Bell Pulse Headers
2). Kenne Bell Supercharger
3). Rims and Tires
Old 01-23-2000, 03:04 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I was told about a year ago by my local Dodge Dealer a cam would run about between $400-$600 to install.......labor is all the difference.

As far as cams go....check out Hughes Engines website. You'll need to determine where you want the powerband to be for the correct choice.
Old 01-23-2000, 06:12 PM
Inactive User

You mention the Hughes Engines website...What is the address for this page? I'm looking into the cam mod too, and need all the help I can get to keep $$$ to a minimum. Thanks

------------------
'96 Black QC, 2500, 360
3.92 gears, 40 series Flowmaster (custom install), K&N FIPK
Old 01-24-2000, 05:12 AM
Cyanide

Red face

Mikey, are you saying that you got the computer and the pullies included with the $1500?

Also, I know you got one of those wild Indy trucks so you probably don't worry about towing with it. Any concerns with the Mopar computer otherwise?

Cy
Old 01-25-2000, 03:52 AM
Inactive User

Cool

I wish the price did include the computer....cause that ran an extra $400!

The Mopar computer upgrade, like the one you can buy from Mopar or Summit, etc runs about $350....but the "Super" computer is this same computer with some dyno "tweeking" to alter the Hp and Torque curve based on a particular setup that you may have. These new parameters are then downloaded into a different chip that goes in place of the chip that you get with the new computer. That's to say, you can put the computer upgrade into a nearly stock Ram and get predictable performance.....but if you change the setup significantly, like a cam or supercharger, the computer that you just shelled $350 for is extremely limited in how much more performance you can get.

I had my computer tuned to my setup yielding the Super Computer.....that's what the Super is in Super Computer.

So with each mod that I make, the computer will get retuned by the dyno shop to shape the curves to get the max performance.

------------------
98 Reg Cab SWB Sport, 360, Auto, 4.10s Sure Grip, Very Red, White Rallye Stripes, Snug Top Tonneau Cover, 3" Flowmaster, K&N Gen II, Mopar Magnum R/T (Cam, Lifters, Underdrive Pullies, Super Computer, etc), 2" Rear Drop, Hellwig Antisway, VGX Brakes, Billet Ram Hood Emblem.

On the way:
1). Kenne Bell Pulse Headers
2). Kenne Bell Supercharger
3). Rims and Tires

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited January 24, 2000).]
Old 01-26-2000, 10:28 PM
Cyanide

Thanks for all the info guys. I don't think I will have Dodge do it due to the labor. Although they will waranty it if they put it in.
Old 01-26-2000, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Hey Cyanide just curious what dealer/servicer do you deal with?
Old 01-27-2000, 04:05 AM
Cyanide

Biggrin

Hey Belleowner, from Tampa huh?

I've got a real good relationship with Jerry Ulm Dodge on Dale Mabry. They are 5 star, (though that doesn't always count with some dealers).
If you don't use them, you should try to speak with Bill Jones in Service. He's great about appoointments and will not B.S. you.

Also, in the bodyshop, I know Phil Ulm real well, also a good guy.

From personal experience; mine, my wife's, friends, stay away from Bob Wilson on Florida. They don't even want to fix stuff under warranty. Not kidding you. Lotsa bad stories.
Old 01-28-2000, 01:48 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Hey Cyanide, That's cool, I bought mine at Jerry Ulm's, Had it serviced there a couple of times been treated very well every time,was treated like crap at Brandon dodge.