Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-25-2000, 04:28 AM
Inactive User

Angry

This past Friday on my way home from work, I decided to do something stupid....(don't try this at home).

Waiting in line to get on the freeway I decided to pass a guy in a POS Ford on the outside lane of a two lane on ramp that make a full 270 degree turn before you get to the freeway. Was pushing about 45 when I hit the turn....all way fine until the last 50 feet, and BAM! I felt the whole truck lean to the left and so I pulled over on the shoulder to see what let loose.

It was the 3 week old Hellwig sway bar.

Took it in to get it removed and inspected...the mechanic stated that the Hellwig anti sway bars are weak at the frame mounting points because the bar necks down. He showed me where mine broke....yep at the frame mounting....then he showed me a Belltech anti-sway bar and the difference....its now installed, and just for grins I took the same on ramp at the same speed. No BAM.

------------------
98 Reg Cab SWB Sport, 360, Auto, 4.10s Sure Grip, Very Red, White Rallye Stripes, Snug Top Tonneau Cover, 3" Flowmaster, K&N Gen II, Mopar Magnum R/T (Cam, Lifters, Underdrive Pullies, Super Computer, etc), Belltech 2" Rear Drop, Belltech Antisway Bar, VGX Brakes, Billet Ram Hood Emblem.

On the way:
1). Kenne Bell Pulse Headers
2). Kenne Bell Supercharger
3). Rims and Tires
Old 01-25-2000, 04:59 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Hope I didn't lead you down the wrong path on that one my friend. I have a Hellwig and have pushed it pretty hard (I thought) - never had any trouble. Glad you found a better one.

Thanks for the tips.

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Old 01-25-2000, 05:30 AM

I am currently considering installing a rear sway bar on my 97 Ram. How much did the Belltech unit go for? Also how much was the Hellwig unit? The biggest questions for me is did either unit increase towing stability?
Thanks
SJS440

[This message has been edited by SJS440 (edited January 24, 2000).]
Old 01-26-2000, 12:59 AM
Inactive User

SJS440,

Can't really say how it affects towing, but common sense says that a rear sway bar is a good thing when your pulling something that weighs as much as the pullie.

The Belltech sway bar was $15 more than the Hellwig ($130 vs $115). It is definitley beefier at the frame attachment points. Haven't noticed any increase in cornering other than the break vs no-break.

Hope it stays that way!

Ram Man....you didn't lead me down the path....all your input was confirmed by many other people. I could have had a "factory" defect, but when someone shows me the difference, especially where one broke, then my emotions run high.....

------------------
98 Reg Cab SWB Sport, 360, Auto, 4.10s Sure Grip, Very Red, White Rallye Stripes, Snug Top Tonneau Cover, 3" Flowmaster, K&N Gen II, Mopar Magnum R/T (Cam, Lifters, Underdrive Pullies, Super Computer, etc), Belltech 2" Rear Drop, Belltech Antisway Bar, VGX Brakes, Billet Ram Hood Emblem.

On the way:
3). Rims and Tires
Old 01-26-2000, 01:46 PM
Inactive User

Smile

I've been told another company called "Hotchkis" makes good anti rear sway bars as well - just to toss out another brand name.

I know they also make "frame saver" lowering parts.

------------------

Old 01-26-2000, 11:28 PM
Inactive User

Hotchkis and Hellwig both buy from a common vendor....the only differences are:

1). Color
2). Price
3). Name

Sorry.

------------------

On the way:
3). Rims and Tires
Old 01-28-2000, 05:08 AM
Inactive User

Mikey:
Does Belltech have a website? I can't seem to find anything on them.
Old 01-28-2000, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Here you go:
http://www.belltechcorp.com/

------------------

Old 01-28-2000, 05:18 PM
Inactive User

Angry

I had a Hellwig swaybar that broke recently on my 1998 Ram 1500 QC. Iv'e had it less than a year. It broke at the cheesy linkage bracket to the frame on the left side of the truck. I recall not really being too happy with the quality when I first opend the box.

I removed it from the truck and I need to call Hellwig and see how they treat me as far as replacement parts. There is definitly a difference without the swaybar. My commute to work involves alot of cornering at 55mph+.

Thats 2 Hellwigs that snapped at that same area that I heard of. Not only that, where it breaks at if gone un-noticed theres risk of damaging other parts of the truck. Like a hole in your gas tank. May want to try the Hotchki's if your on the market for one.
Old 01-29-2000, 01:38 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

RAM MAN beat me to the punch....the web site is listed below on a previous post.

BTW the part number is 5540 and is good for a 1/2 ton with up to a 4" rear drop. If you have a raised truck of any kind, then a different part number applies also.

The bar comes in a power coated silver with red bushings.

I had mine power coated red to match the truck at a local shop.

Maybe it wishful thinking....but the truck corners better with the Bell than it did with the Hellwig.....or maybe it's because I've been driving without a sway bar for a week....

Also, I did get credit for the Hellwig....I held "future" procurements from his parts establishment over his head.
------------------

On the way:
3). Rims and Tires

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited January 28, 2000).]