Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-03-2000, 07:21 PM

Question

I have '99 1500 4x4 with the "Antispin Diff"
I think that it sucks does anyone else agree?
Do they make limited slip diff. for the 1500.
what other options are there ?
Old 02-03-2000, 09:49 PM

Exclamation

I have a 97' 15004x4 ex cab with a limited sliprear end. it was an option when I bought
my truck. check with your dealer. I do alot
of four wheeling and don't have any complaints about the factory limited slip unit.
Old 02-03-2000, 10:35 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

I agree theres more slipping in this rear than gripping. Im not real happy but from what I hear theres not much I can do. Except to put in a real locker of some type.
Old 02-04-2000, 01:11 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Um, just as a note, the "Anti-spin" differential IS the limited slip diff. And is basically the same as the old Sure-Grip differential.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 02-04-2000, 01:41 AM
Inactive User

No, I do not agree. The limited slip diff works great with 4X4. We just had a 9" snowstorm here in the south. I traversed through the ice and snow over the hills of western Little Rock (and one very steep grade)and I did not spin NOT ONE BIT. I literally passed cars, trucks and vans that were holding up thousands of cars. I just traded a 91 Dak 4X4 w/o limited slip for this 1500 4X4 w/ ls and I can say, that on ice and snow, limited slip w/ 4X4 is the way to go. If I own another 4X, I will have it.

[This message has been edited by BigRed (edited February 03, 2000).]
Old 02-04-2000, 02:17 AM
Addicted Moparchat Member

the limited slip that comes in the rams is one of the best out there. by that, i mean one of the tightest. it comes closer to locking power 50/50 to both wheels than chevy's or ford's. if you find yourself in a situation where your ls isn't doing the job, set your emergency brake about 3 or 4 notches, or just enough to give slight pressure. this will help the ls do its job. there are also additives out there to put in the diff that help. in truth though, nothing works like a locker. put some time into it though before you decide. remember lockers for the mostpart don't live well on the road, especially when turning. they also wear tires faster. front lockers are hell in 94-rams that see regular road use, due to the full time design of the front axle. you get the constant "crabwalking" effect of being in 4 wheel drive. you also cause the axles a lot of stress. lockers can also be dangerous if you are using your truck in ice or snow regularly. since both wheels are always pulling, the rear can get scary real fast. don't get me wrong, they will increase you trucks capability in adverse conditions 10 fold, you just have to keep in mind that it will handle different and compromise a certain level of comfort. i personally would go with a good aftermarket ls, a spool, or an arb air locker if you have the cash. limited slips are really the way to go though to get the best of both worlds- good on road manners as well as increased off road performance.
Old 02-04-2000, 06:12 AM

What about putting a limited slip up front. I was told that it wasent a good idea to put one up front without manual hubs, that it would cause funny handeling and bad tire wear like what you described with the locker. Due to the full time design of the front axles on the rams. Im getting ready to have my gears changed and have been considering this option, but I dont knoe of any one that has much knowledge in that field.
Old 02-04-2000, 07:04 AM
Addicted Moparchat Member

true, even a limited slip will affect the handling some, but not nearly as bad as a locker especially if you go with a fairly loose ls. i'm not sure if ARB makes a locker for the front axle on 1500's, but if they do that's the way to go. hit a button and it locks in, release it and it's just like an open diff. whatever you decide on, have it put in when you change the gears. much cheaper than doing them seperately.
Old 02-04-2000, 07:52 AM
Inactive User

ARB does make a locker for the Rams.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 02-04-2000, 03:54 PM

Biggrin

WOW great information on the LS. Thanks looks like I will be "sticking" with what I have for a while.