Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-05-2000, 08:17 PM
Inactive User

We picked up our 2001 Ram 1500 regular cab 360 automatic this week. There was a tag hanging from the cigarette lighter called "Engine Operation Tips". Below are the exact paragraphs printed on it.
*Fuel economy will typically improve over the first 4000 miles of vehicle operation.
*Your engine is designed to operate on high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not generally recommended. The use of premium gasoline will provide no benefit over high-quality regular gasoline, and in some circumstances may result in poorer performance.
*Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling, and hesitation. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering service for your vehicle.
*Light spark knock at low engine speed (RPM) is not harmful to your engine.
*When pulling a heavy load or driving a fully loaded vehicle when the humidity is low or the temperature is high, use a premium (high-octane) unleaded fuel to help prevent spark knock.
I've been a mechanic for 30+ years and this is the first time I've ever heard spark knock is acceptable. It looks like the cure is NO CURE. We also have an identical 99 Ram with the exception of a 318. The 2001 already has the plug wires located as in the T.S.B. AND the engine temperature gauge runs noticably cooler.
Old 02-06-2000, 04:43 AM
Inactive User

Question

Bob, you said it runs cooler. Does it ping? What tstat do you have in it, 180 or 195? its funny that they say don't use premium gas and than right after that they say use premium gas. Good luck with your new truck.
Old 02-06-2000, 04:47 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Congrats on the new truck Bob! Ya I had to laugh when I seen that little statement on there. Since when is ANY ping "normal"?! I think someone's trying to cover there a**!! All we can do is wait & see. Got a new theory on a possible cause for the ping & have been talking to JBODY off line to see if he can help me prove it before I say anything. It's not easy to find & will take a good tech to see it happen. Will let everybody know if it pans out. Good luck with the new ride!

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, read the instructions
Old 02-06-2000, 05:22 AM
Inactive User

It only has about 300 miles on it so far. Neither truck pings. Our 99 has a little over 6,000 miles and to be totaly honest I can't tell the difference in power between the two. Either we have a really good 318 or a so-so 360. I will definetely check the operating temperatures and let you know what I find. Might just be the difference in the 2 gauges.
Old 02-08-2000, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

Question

I don't want to push my luck - but when did the ping problem start (what model year ?) I have a 98 w/318 and almost at 23,000 - run regular unleaded almost all the time and have never had a ping . . . should I expect one coming ?

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Old 02-09-2000, 12:12 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Ram man, Most of the "pingers" seem to be 98 up. Remember that not all of them do it. Were I work we've only seen a few come in for this. We sell 30+ trucks a month! So I wouldn't get to worried.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, read the instructions
Old 02-09-2000, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

... and unless I am mistaken, most of the pinging occurs in the heavier 1500s, such as 4X4 quads or CCs. But my observation has been the later model Rams. Like you said, 98 or newer. Hey, when did they go to the 3" mandrelled exhaust? I have a 99 QC 4X w/ 3.54 gears 1500 and have a slight pinging when loaded (about 1000 in the back) and going uphill. Pretty faint but it is still there if you know what I mean. I have a 180 tstat to install but have put off installing because of how complicated it looks. It shouldn't be as hard as they have made it. Waiting to hear from Brother Bob to see of the 2001 has a lower operating temp (as in a 180 tstat)

Best of luck.

[This message has been edited by BigRed (edited February 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by BigRed (edited February 08, 2000).]
Old 02-09-2000, 02:26 AM
Inactive User

GM has been telling it's customers that some ping is normal for at least 10 years if not 15. With a background of 35+ years swinging wrenches I can testify that this problem is not limited to just our vehicles.It is more common than it should be and as I said before I am more suspicious of the fuel than the vehicles no matter who makes them.

------------------
Don
94 V10 Ram(001),74 440 Charger,63 Max Wedge
Old 02-09-2000, 03:27 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Mine pings and knocks pretty good. I have a '98 CC 4x4 with 318/5-speed. As for milage, it started somewhere around 8,500. I now have 20,470 on it. It seems to be more CC and QC having this problem. Maybe the extra weight is causing this. As for the gas thing, I dought it most of it related to the gas. I've used gas from Texaco, Chevron, Exxon, BP, Ammaco, and some no name places. I've got gas from the following areas, VA, TN, KY, OH, WV, PA, NC, SC, GA and they all ping with this gas. I've talked to others that state the same problems all across the country.