Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-08-2000, 01:51 AM
Addicted Moparchat Member

Okay..here's the deal as a couple of you know. I have a 99 1500 that I've been yearning to lift since I got it. Now that I'm really doing research on it, it's going to be a lot more of an investment than I thought. My goal is to put 36's under it, so no less than a 5 inch will work. I am a college student, so funds are seriously limited with that and the cost of the truck itself. I had about decided on the new BDS kit, but then today I was flipping through my latest Peterson's mag and I see tuff country has come out with a 5.5 inch kit for only 600 bucks!!! Now I think...how can that be? So I give them a call and it turns out for the front they use bolt on steel extended spring pockets, retaining your factory springs. Now for the mostpart, I have heard stay away from the kits with spacers, etc. go with replacement springs. These actually bolt to the existing spring pocket though, not just sit there like most of the kits. they are also made from steel, as the others I have seen (rancho, pro comp) are made of aluminum. I am really after factory like ride and handling, and this truck spends about 80% of its time on the road at least. The tuff country kit comes with all the neccesary corrections, track bar relocation, new upper and lower links, shocks, etc. So I guess the bottom line is... are the replacement springs really worth the extra 600 dollars?? I want a top quality lift that's going to last, so I put my faith in my fellow ram truck lovers to lead me on the right path! Thanks.
Old 02-08-2000, 06:47 AM

Thumbs down

All I can say is you get what you pay for! Sounds kind of cheap if you ask me. If it were a good quality lift and that much cheaper I think all the other companies would be doing it also.
Old 02-08-2000, 02:03 PM

Rufus,

I don't know where you live, but my 4x4 shop quoted me a price of $799 for the 5" BDS lift. It uses new springs up front, plus track arms, sway bar extenders, etc. and shackle reverse kit in the back. It also comes with a double shock kit (although its possible that this was purchased separately since Danny and I went pretty quick to the bottom line). Since I was ordering the RS9000's and 2 RS5000's, the kit did not come with shocks.

I highly recommend getting new springs up front since they will give you extra articulation and an increase in spring rate that you will need when you get that big bumper to take the place of the stock plastic/tin bumper and the Warn 9000 lb winch (how do I know that you will want these things? Trust me, after you lift your baby 5" and put 36" tires on it, it will scream for a macho bumper and winch!).

The reason the TC lift kit spacers are steel is that they are lifting the truck 5" with it as opposed to most who are only lifting it 2-3". I outright rejected any lift kit that used spacers for the front. Of course, I don't look at spending my money like most people (i.e. how much will I save). I look at it by asking, "If I spend this much money, will I get what I want?" If not, I don't spend the money. Good example: shocks. Why spend 30-40 bucks for shocks that perform well, but you cannot change the response rate and you're stuck with how they perform until you replace them (for more money) or they wear out. To me it makes sense to spend the money and get what I want (i.e. RS 9000s). Like everyone else, I have a budget and sometimes I don't get what I want due to money limits. But I always make sure that if I spend a lot of money (i.e. a lift kit) I get what I want. Otherwise, its not a matter of how much I saved, but how much I spent and I will never be happy with it.

For comparison, here's what I got and you can subtract the tires and wheel costs, etc. to come up with a comparable price:

5" BDS lift kit with double shock kit up front
4 RS9000's
2 RS5000's (the RS9000's weren't long enough for the center shock location)
4 BFG 35x12.5x15" All-Terrain T/A's (make sure to get the "KOs"
4 Eagle Alloy 15x10" wheels (they look really sharp!)
Mapp Nerf Bars (he had these laying around and quoted me a price of $129 for them)

Total price for everything plus installation and tax out the door was $2650.

If you want to ask Danny questions, call him at Ph. 256-350-8866. He is in Decator, AL.

I hope this helps.

Albin

[This message has been edited by Albin (edited February 08, 2000).]
Old 02-08-2000, 09:06 PM

Albin... you got an excellent deal! I'm looking at 1300 for the lift and installation, and another 700 for my tires. 36x12.50 buckshot mudders on my stock wheels. plus i have to drive 3 hours to have it done. do you have any pics by chance?? my e mail address should be on my profile, if you could send some that'd be great! thanks for the input so far.
Old 02-09-2000, 02:28 AM

Rufus,

Why ask about suspension mods when you have your truck posted as being "For Sale"?
Old 02-09-2000, 07:52 PM

BillyBob... what difference does it make to you in the first place?? but if you must know, for 2 reasons. first, everything is always for sale if the price is right. secondly, as i posted to you on the for sale page, my thoughts are on a 2500 V-10 5 speed. the truck isn't really seriously for sale, just if the right person comes along with the right amount of money i'd like to sell it and move up to a 2500. so maybe now you can leave it alone and only post if you have something relative to my topic... unless you're intersted in purchasing it.
Old 02-09-2000, 08:58 PM

Rufus,

I didn't try to offend you- but I am confused why a "college student" with a nice truck and limited funds wants to do mods on a truck that is "For Sale" and posts a reply to a Viper FOR SALE with an offer of $30,000.00- Can you understand why I might be confused?
THX
Good luck on your project.
Old 02-09-2000, 11:24 PM

BillyBob... you didn't offend me, sorry if i came off that way but i just don't understand what your strong interest is in what i want to do with my vehicle. and as far as the viper goes, if i could get one for 30K i'd trade my truck in to a dealer, quit school for a semester, and work to pay for it. it's my dream car... i guess i'm just confused as to why you really care that i'm planning on lifting my truck while it's casually for sale (like everything i own is), and making an offer on a viper. the truth is, there is about a 1% chance that someone will come along and give me what i want for my truck. so, until someone comes along and makes it worth my while to sell it, i'll continue doing mods to it under the assumption i'll have it for a while. most mods if done right do increase the value of a vehicle anyway. so i hope that explains to you my philosophy on things so i don't have to defend every post i make on here...
Old 02-10-2000, 04:49 AM
Inactive User

Red face

RUFUS.....
I AGREE WITH YOU. I ALWAYS HAVE MY VEHICLES FOR SALE AND CONSTANTLY DOING MODS TO THEM AT THE SAME TIME. THATS HOW I GET IN & OUT OF SO MANY VEHICLES BY DOING THAT AND NEVER LOOSE ANY $$$ EITHER. RIGHT NOW I HAVE A SERIOUS SUPERCHARGED 98 V-10 QC THAT I AM STILL DOING MODS ON AND THINKING OF SELLING IT AS WELL. JUST LIKE MY TRICKED OUT 98 5.9 GRAND CHEROKEE. BILLYBUB....WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH?????? EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT IDEAS!
GOOD LUCK RUFUS IN YOUR ENDEAVORS!!!!!
Old 02-10-2000, 05:42 AM
Solar Yellow Member

I think we've lost that lovin feelin.
Old 02-10-2000, 01:30 PM

OK, back to the subject at hand...

Rufus, another reason for replacing the front coil springs is that later you can still lift the truck .75" - 2" with either the Superlift 3/4" front spacers or the Daystar 2" spacers and gain another inch or so in front for only $45 or $196, depending on which one you pick.

Also, with the BDS lift, since they reverse the rear shackles, you can still add, relatively cheaply, add-a-lifts or blocks and get another 2-3" lift in the rear.

I admit, I didn't think of this until AFTER I had the lift done, but what the hey, this is what this discussion group is all about: learning from one another.

Hope this helps.

Albin
Old 02-10-2000, 06:13 PM

Cool

Nothin will replace that lovin feeling like a big truck and fatty tires. If your going to do it do it right the first time or you will regret it.
Old 02-10-2000, 07:30 PM

Albin... you just decided it for me. i haven't even thought about that possibility. i had given thought to what to do if i wanted more lift down the road after the suspension lift, and all i came up with was a body which is a no go in my book. if i went with the 2 inch daystar spacers up front later on, would that be enough lift to put my steering, track bar, etc. back out of whack? i know the general rule of thumb is it only needs it after 3+ but i've seen some rams with the 3 inch rancho kit riding dog leg down the road because the front axle sticks out 2 inches on one side due to the track bar not being dropped or lengthened.
Old 02-10-2000, 10:11 PM

Rufus,

When you get the 5" (or any lift for that matter) it should get an alignment done also. Don't accept unless they do!

Then, depending on what you buy, the Superlift or Daystar spaces, follow those directions.

I originally was going to go with a 2.5 to 3" susp lift, then add a body lift. Thank the gods, Danny talked me into the 5" BDS lift. Everything I hear is that body lift is a pain in the drain!

And Big Dodge is exactly right: everytime I see my truck, I think its the best looking truck I've ever seen!

Albin
Old 02-12-2000, 08:36 AM

Go for it Rufus! your only regrets will be that you didnt get the 5 inch. The way I look at it, you make it to spend it. Dont get me wrong I save some but you have to enjoy it now. You cant take it with you. Albins right, get it aligned, and then get it aligned again after about 6 weeks, after the suspension has had time to settle. I wish I knew how to put a picture on here!! You would love it!!!