Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-06-2000, 06:28 AM
Inactive User

To any and all... Has anyone tried the Jacobs Electronics ignition systems? I have a 95 Ram Automatic 4X4 with the 318 and was wondering if it would really be worth the money for the performance. Also is the MP computer chip worth it? Does it really make a noticable difference in performance? Any help would be great! Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2000, 01:39 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Blue- Most of the people I spoke with had negative comments about the Jacobs ignition. In fact, they steered me toward MSD's 6AL unti with a Blaster SS coil. I didn't see a huge difference except in-town gas mileage went up about 2mpg. Highway mileage only improved about 1mpg though. I did notice improved throttle response too. I have been told that Jacobs has poor customer service as well. Just my 2 cents worth.

As for the Mopar computer......buy it! You'll pick up about 26hp and more torque down low. I saw .2 tenths improvement in my truck. Note: You'll need to run premium gas after that new computer too, otherwise you'll get that annoying spark knock we Ram owners have come to expect. Also, after the computer, change your thermostat to at least 180 degrees to eliminate the spark knock. Hope this is helpful!

Good Luck!
Old 02-06-2000, 07:33 PM

I have not purchased the Jacobs for my Ram yet, however, I have had the Jacobs system in the past and found it to be a great system.

The first Jacobs I bought died after about 2 months, Jacobs replaced it for free. The system was on a built up 383. It used to load up at idle and die. The Jacobs solved that problem and gave me better gas mileage (about 2 mpg), and better performance.

Also, the Jacobs reps have told me that the Jacobs ignition system will stop that pinging problem that alot of the 360s seem to have.
------------------
'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4

[This message has been edited by ehostler (edited February 06, 2000).]
Old 02-07-2000, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Thanks to you guys for the info, I think I will invest in a computer and at least some type of new ignition system, I have heard great things about the MSD one.
Old 02-08-2000, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Thunder:
To any and all... Has anyone tried the Jacobs Electronics ignition systems? I have a 95 Ram Automatic 4X4 with the 318 and was wondering if it would really be worth the money for the performance. Also is the MP computer chip worth it? Does it really make a noticable difference in performance? Any help would be great! Thanks!!
Your best bet is to have a "HALTECH" system installed since it is a programmable system.
Old 02-12-2000, 03:08 AM
Inactive User

I have not yet purchased an ignition system don't really know what to buy, but I won't buy a Jacobs. I talked to them on the phone they gave me their sales pitch and expected results, then the price, $530.00. I had already looked at Summit whose price was as I recall abot $370.00, I told the Jacobs fellow I thought his price was to much,I was expecting less than Summit since this was factory direct, well his price came down to $390.00. Now thats quite a drop on the first try, I don't mind paying a fair price, but I felt he was tring to take me.
Old 02-12-2000, 03:42 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Never, ever buy anything from Jacobs....(enough about that).

As you can see below in my "comming attractions" list...I plan to supercharge my beast...therefore I'll be using the KB Optimzer ignition system.

Mikey

------------------
98 Reg Cab SWB Sport, 360, Auto, 4.10s Sure Grip, Very Red, White Rallye Stripes, Snug Top Fiberglass Red Tonneau Cover, 3" Flowmaster, K&N Gen II, Mopar Magnum R/T (Mopar "Purple" Cam, Trick Flow Pushrods, Roller Rockers & K-Motion Lifters, March Underdrive Pullies, Mopar Super Computer, etc), Belltech 2" Rear Drop, Belltech Antisway Bar, VGX Brakes, Billet Ram Hood Emblem
On the way:
1). Kenne Bell Pulse Headers
2). Kenne Bell Supercharger
3). Rims and Tires
Old 02-12-2000, 09:06 AM

I have not found too many factory direct prices, that are lower than the retail store prices. It has to do with you buying a single unit and the volume discount that the retailer gets, for buying 200 units at a time.

Take MOPAR performance for example, you can go to a dealership and pay the high price, go to a volume dealership and get a %25 discount or go third party (Summit) and sometimes even pay less than the %25 discount.

It NEVER hurts to shop around. I have always had good experiences with the Jacobs system. I even had good experience with the tech support people.

I never did buy directly from them, primarily because I wanted the system then and there not in the amount of time it would take to ship to me (2 to 4 working days).

------------------
'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4