Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-12-2000, 05:13 AM
Inactive User

Angry

Sorry if this is long. I have to vent a little.

Today I had a arbitration meeting with the service manager from the dealership, a DC rep, and the Arbitrator. I won and lost I guess you could say. The arbitrator stayed out of it mostly, the DC rep was basicly a a**hole. The DC rep (Phil Rodman) called me a lier about the brake problem I was having. My brake pedal has went to the floor when I hit a bump while coming to a stop twice, the truck slid into the intersection then. First he blamed it on the ABS till I told him I only have rear ABS. Then he said that a brake problem doesn't come and go, so I asked him if he thought I was lying and he said yes. I have an witness to this and gave him the a written statement stating this. Then while driving he asked me if I off-road any (figured if I said yes he would blame the problems on that), I said I don't with this truck. His next comment was "Why did you get a 4x4 then", "It seems stupid to pay extra for something you don't use". After the test drive which I could hear the engine knocking and pinging sound and he didn't, he said it valve train noise due to a special cam shaft Dodge uses in the engine which gives it the name "Maganum Engine". What a crock of s**t!!!!

Then he asked me what my alterative modive for this hearing was. Wanted to know if I was finacially unstable and just tring to dump the truck. As for the vibration which he felt, he said it's a 4x4 and you can expect that and it wasn't unexceptable. It's nice to look over and see the passenger seat jumping up and down. I had 3 witness to all my problems, sign a piece of paper stating what they have seen or heard. He just ignored it. I had to take the offer he gave me, a 7year/100,000 mile warrenty with rental. I can alway go back to arbitration if things continue.

Thanks for everyones help.

Jason

P.S. The arbitrator stated up front he had no relation with Phil Rodman or DC. He and his wife were strickly 3rd party. That was a crock too!! While driving down the road they started talking about all these people and family of their's. Same when we got back, they started talking about there familes, seem to know each other well. I felt I was getting screwed from the start.
Old 02-12-2000, 07:36 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

It seems as if everybody is having problems with their trucks and ma'Mopar does'nt seem to give a damn. I traded in my '94 Ram(which ran great)for a 2000RT Dak. and it's been one BIG disapointment.I doubt if this Dakota could outrun an S10 or anything else.The brite side is the dealer gave me a 3year warrenty free...whooopie
Old 02-12-2000, 01:34 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Bigblue,
Sounds like the rep and arbitrator wanna be the judge the jury and the executioner. I would say bull.... to them and find another arbitrator and get the reps boss or someone that he answers to on the phone and ask for another "hearing" Im not telling you what to do but if it were my truck and money I spent I wouldnt just take their answer for gospel. Especially since they seem so cutesy together. Do yourself a favor and call someone else about this problem, These people have to answer to somebody.
Old 02-12-2000, 07:01 PM
Inactive User

Red face

BigBlue,

My friend just got the same offer. 70/70,000 mile warrenty. He told them to go jump in the lake. They are getting back to him next week with a "counter offer". the only offer he is going to take is a full refund. Stick to your guns. Sounds like the arbitrator is in bed with the rep. Also, don't let anyone at D.C. be a jerk with you. Your control the situation not them. Remember you are the customer. You should be treated with total respect.

Brian Lyttle
Old 02-12-2000, 07:16 PM
Addicted Moparchat Member

about that brake problem you've had... my truck only has rear abs too, and just like you when i hit a bump big enough to cause the tires to lose enough traction for the abs to kick in while slowing down, the brakes seem to fail somewhat. though not bad enough that i've slid into an intersection, but definitely bad enough to get me into a rear ender possibly. after you hit the bump, do you hear the rapid clicking of the abs supposedly "working"? that's what mine does. it seems to me that somehow the abs working on the rear wheels somehow over powers the braking power to the front ones. i'm considering just pulling the fuse on the damn thing. it's annoying as hell, especially when i'm four wheeling. i never have liked abs much anyway, makes you feel like the vehicle has control, not you. personally i'd rather control my own skids.
Old 02-12-2000, 08:35 PM
Inactive User

Red face

Rufus, my ABS makes this clicking sound too. The pedal has went to the floorboard both times I had this time. It seems the brakes worked a little but it wouldn't stop it.

Brian, the arbitrator was from Knoxville so I say your buddy had the same one. I will have something done about my truck wether DC likes my plan or not.

Jason
Old 02-13-2000, 12:58 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Let me try to explain to you how the rear ABS works - when you are applying the brakes & you hit a slick spot in the road, if the rear wheels lock for a moment the abs is activated. What it does is bleed pressure (the clicking noise) off of the rear brake circut until it see rpm again (its useing a tone wheel on the diff carrier) since there is no pump on an RWAL system to maintain pressure, the pedal will drop. The best thing to do is push down harder. Big Blue, you didnt say how many miles are on your truck, but if the rear brakes are not adjusted up properly (a VERY common prob) your pedal can go to the floor as you describe. The rep & dealer should know this. My guess is thats whats going on.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, read the instructions
Old 02-13-2000, 04:13 AM
Inactive User

BigBlue,

I am with Rufus the Ram on the brakes. I just pulled my fuse on the abs. I had the same problem as everyone else with my brakes. On wet pavement I thought the abs work well but on dry pavement it hurt more than it helped. The harder I stepped on my brakes, the longer the skid. I think that once the fuse is pulled it adds predictability back to my brakes. When I took my truck back to dealer about my brakes the mechanic who worked my truck even recommened pulling the fuse. That is what he did with his ram!
Brian Lyttle
Old 02-14-2000, 12:08 AM
Cyanide

BBR,

The brakes went on my 98 1/2 ton at about 8-9000 miles. I took it to the dealer and got new brakes. The new brakes worked fine until I had to stop hard. NO BRAKES!!! Pedal went to the floor and I kept going. This truck was also a 4x4 with RWAL only. There was no clicking of the ABS etc. Just kept rolling.
My dealer tried to fix it and failed the first time. When I took it back again, they fixed it correctly.
Not sure if it was the same problem but it kinda sounds like it. I finally got rid of the truck because of that and numerous other problems. However, I just traded my way out.
Others may disagree with me but,my opinion is to go back to arbitration, and get a new truck. I know that I never felt right in that truck again. If you need some ammo, I will be glad to supply my name and dealer documentation to help prove your case.