Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-14-2000, 12:18 AM

Question

Hey 4x4 owners,

Lately when I come out of four wheel drive it would take any where from 2blocks to 2miles for the light to go off.then today I was coming home and we had about 6 inches of new snowI came out of 4-wheel drive and now my 4x4 light won't go off? Is there some kind of switch or a sensor on the front axel or transfer case? or is the sensor internal and thier is just a plug that could have come loose? it's to sloppy out side for me to get under thier and look. Maybe you guys can help me with what to look for.
Old 02-14-2000, 12:34 AM
Cyanide

I have the same problem. Dealer says that it will go out when I turn sharply. (?)

KPZBEE any ideas?

Are these things supposed to stay on for that length of time after disengaging?
Old 02-14-2000, 04:17 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

The switch for the light is on the front axle disconect. When you move the transfer case lever you only disconect the frt driveshaft & send vaccum to unlock the axle shaft. When there is no bind, the locking coller will shift over & unlock the axle & turn out the light. Check your front tire pressures & make sure there the same. A low tire will keep just enough tension on the axle to keep it from unlocking. The only other thing would be a vaccum leak or low vaccum to the disconect. Hope this helps

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, read the instructions
Old 02-14-2000, 02:49 PM
Inactive User

There may also be a mechanical reason. I have found the shaft on the vacuum solenoid to be bent and / or corroded so that it wouldn't move freely. It's easy to check. Remove the four bolts that hold the vac. solenoid assembly to the axle and lift it off. With the truck running, have a helper shift the transfer case in and out of 4wd and watch the operation of the vac. solenoid. Before removing the bolts clean everything off and be carefull not to twist a bolt off, they can be a b***!%$d to get out. When you put it back together, be carefull that the fork on the shifter goes in the groove on the slider ring.
Jim
Old 02-14-2000, 07:14 PM
Inactive User

Jswar is right. I had the same problem with my 90 ramcharger. Even after I put the transfer case in 2wd the hubs stayed locked and the light stayed on. Everything free wheeled up to the transfer case. It cost me about 50 bucks to replace the solenoid with one from mopar.
Brian
Old 02-15-2000, 01:42 PM

For more info, including some failure modes and fixes, go to www.Dodgeram.com and look into the Tech Index for CAD.

I hope this helps.

Albin
Old 02-16-2000, 03:44 PM
Cyanide

Thumbs up

See, now all that makes sense to me. My service advisor states there is nothing wrong with the Tcase. Duh!!! I know that, it works fine. Just can't get it to disconnect. Which of course is what I tell him each time.

Try, try again. Thanks guys.
Old 02-16-2000, 10:18 PM
Inactive User

I have seen gear oil swell up the vacuum lines because of the 4x4 servo would leak and draw the fliud through the lines. Give this a try.