Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-18-2000, 08:29 AM
Inactive User

Around 37,000 miles I developed a slight vibrations at various speeds 60mph to 75mph. I assumed it was the tires being cupped. I lived with the vibration with hopes of fixing the problem when a new set was purchased. I replaced them at 48,000, and had the works done. Balancing, Alignment, etc. However, when I left the shop I could still feel a slight vibration. I am now at 78,000 and the viabration is getting worse. A cup of coffee in the up high holder is becoming dangerous. Sometimes it is not a constant viabration. In cruise control it will fade to a shudder, but under acelaration or decelaration it intensifies.

Any thoughts? Could this be a shock problem? 96 cc 4x4 sport 5.9 auto
Old 02-18-2000, 02:12 PM
Inactive User

Question

Balancing and FE alignment are 2 good things to check - also might be shocks / tie rods / and tires !!! If your tires are cupped, that could be a problem.

Just a thought - if you rotate your tires does it make a diff ? If the front ones are cupped and the back ones have normal wear and tear . . . might want to try it

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."
Old 02-18-2000, 05:47 PM
Inactive User

Angry

My '98 CC 1500 has a vibration from day one. A slight vibration at 40-45 mph (hear this is due the design of the frame). I also have one from 53-70 mph. I told my first dealer and he said to replace the tires (at my expense) which I did. I put 285/75-16 MT ($650) on it and it rode perfect. I still had a slight vibration at 40-45 but I can live with that. 6 months later it started again and a different dealer put 265/75-16 Michellins on the truck. It helped some put still have a vibration that comes and goes. Took it back to the dealer twice, once they told me it was the tires then the next it wasn't there.

The DC rep the other day said the vibration we felt on the test drive was normal and accepetable for a 4x4. It's something to look over and see the passenger seat jumping up and down. Someday I will get ride of this truck!
Old 02-18-2000, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

I own a 95 Ram that gave me the same vibrations. I took it back to the dealer 7 times in 3 months. They finally got tired of seeing me and told me to go to the local tire shop and pick out any set of mag wheels I wanted. So, $286 per wheel later, my problems went away. The funny part is....there were at least 35 other Dodge truck owners there for the same thing. Keep complaining.....you'll see results!

On a side note, I was later told by the dealer that the factory steel wheels were not perfectly round creating the vibration. Additionally, Wrangler tires were a little off as far as roundness is concerned. I Love my Michelin's!!

Hope this is helpful!