Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-31-1999, 09:25 AM
Inactive User

I have a problem that I need you good folks help with, before 7am cst Friday.

Whilst pulling up to a red light, I noticed my dash lit up like a friggin Xmas tree about the time I noticed the steering getting harder. Dead engine. All gauges were reading 'zero'.

Nyeah,nyeah,nyeah,nyeah--just once, a brrbumpbumpnyeahnyeahnyeahnyeah. Half tank of gas, no smells, no leaks, good cranky no runny. Only had time to push the truck with help of 3 other guys into a parking lot: I was due at work, had to leave it parked under the lights in a shopping area ;-(

My mind is a buzz wondering what it could be (I'm "stuck" here at work until 7am, helpless). If it were a carb car, I'd say it wasn't getting gas from the cranking speed and the way it died.

Can any of you elaborate on the fuel system on my 97 Dodge Ram? Especially regarding electronics (could this be as silly as a blown fuse somewhere? I should be so lucky), any experiences, opinions?

The truck has 31000 miles. I just put on a Vortech kit on it 2 days ago, and it was running like a top up until it laid down on me today. First time its happened.

I've been informed by my wife that the police will help me out of this problem in 24 hours, with a tow truck ;-(.

On my bicycle in Dallas
Mike

Old 12-31-1999, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

Major bummer.....

The obvious first look should be at the Vortech system and the mods you made when you installed it. Did you disconnect the computer when you did the mod? The three connectors at the computer have snaps that keep them in place. Did they "snap" when you reconnected...or did one break off?

Just doesn't seem to be a fuel problem. It sounds like it just stopped, no bucking, surging etc. Sounds more instant like electrical.

------------------
98 Reg Cab SWB Sport, 360, Auto,Red, White Rallye Stripes, 3" Flowmaster, K&N Gen II, Mopar Magnum R/T (Cam, Underdrive Pullies, Super Computer), 2" Rear Drop, Hellwig Antisway, VGX Brakes.

On the way:
1). Kenne Bell Pulse Headers
2). Kenne Bell Supercharger
3). Rims and Tires

Old 01-02-2000, 06:13 PM
Inactive User

Question

Sorry I didn't have any info for ya - just curious . . . Was it Vortech related ?

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."

Old 02-18-2000, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

With assistance from Crane, I got a fix (ie, spend MORE money).

The 97 and up Rams, Dodge went to a different computer than 96s on down. A Crane in the mix on a 97 and up makes the computer unhappy, especially at hi revs. I managed to get the truck running long enough to observe a check engine light after an extended power test (ie, the quarter). That code indicated a low circuit at the coil.

Crane recommended this additional black box. The stock coil secondary wire feeds into this box. The Crane is attached to that box, and the output feed from the Crane goes to a Crane coil, which connects to the distributor. The OBDII is happy with the stock connection to the coil, the Crane does its multispark hi intensity thing, all is well. No check engine lights since. Only thing I don't like is that I have to hold the starter a second or two longer than normal, to "wake up" the additional Crane box.

Vortech was no help at all. At the time I called them, they were seriously into developing the 97-up Ram kit, and were having major problems with their test vehicle, which experienced that bad intake gasket problem well known among Ram owners. Vortech basically said in so many words, go to church and thank God yours is working as well as it is.

I worked out several bugs, and can now say I am pleased to the point of saying if I had to do it all over again, I would. Hopefully, Vortech will include that additional black igntion box in its Ram kit (I installed one for a 96 Dakota).

M