Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-19-2000, 07:23 PM
Dodge owner since 98

Unhappy

I have a 98 Ram, 5.2 liter engine. As many of you probably know, this engine has a problem that
Dodge has apparently been unable to fix. The problem is knocking and pinging under very slight
loads or grades (You should hear the knocking and pinging when there is actually a good grade to
go up.). Higher octane fuel will lessen it, but it’s still there.

What aggravates me the most is that the Dodge engineers can't design an engine that resists spark
knock with the modern blends of gasolines that are being used today, especially when the owner's
manual states the truck is designed to run on 87 octane

I am pondering over going into arbitration over this issue (Dodge made the truck, it’s still under
warranty so Dodge should fix it RIGHT-why should I spend my money to fix the problem if it’s
under warranty?) and wondering if any of you have dealt with Dodge over this knocking and
pinging and what did they offer you as a fix or in arbitration.

Thanks

Roger Covalt
iwearsize14@bigfoot.
Old 02-19-2000, 10:23 PM
Inactive User

Rodger, if you go back a little, there are several LENGTHY posts on this subject.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, read the instructions
Old 02-21-2000, 03:32 PM
Dodge owner since 98

I use Chevron gas. Until the problem came up I used mostly 87 octane. Now it's about half the time with 89 and half the time with 92 and I still have the problem (but lessen with 92). I no longer use 87.
Old 02-21-2000, 09:22 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

ram 1500 it is broke you just havn't admitted it yet d/c has confirmed there is a problem but dont know how to fix
ps if you let pinging and no power maybe try ford or chevy next time
Old 02-21-2000, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

Angry

Roger,

I just had a meeting with a DC rep about week ago. Scan back and you can read about my Arbitration hearing (2/11). He told me the ping was do to the special cam that Dodge puts in the truck. This is the reason they can call them "Magnum Engines". This is a bunch of S**T. I've had it with my Dodge and the people from DC. Unfortanally this will be my last Chrysler product. I'm 22 and could have provided Chrysler a customer for 40-50 years. Also they lost 6 sales due to the way the rep treated me (4 Rams, 1 Darango & 1 Caravan). Good luck to you, you will need it.
Old 02-23-2000, 10:35 PM
Dodge owner since 98

Just got off the phone with DC. I confirmed that there is a fix coming out in March ("by the 4th week"). It's called a "reprogramming the PCM (Powertrain control module). You can count on me calling Poway dodge every week about this.

I hope that this isn't one of their so called fixes that doesn't work
Old 02-23-2000, 11:05 PM
Addicted Moparchat Member

Roger... that's what i was told when i took my 5.2 5 speed to have the intake gasket fixed. we'll wait and see though. i was told last year it would be this past november, then january, and now march. i don't think they ever really plan to fix them.
Old 02-24-2000, 01:23 AM
Inactive User

Roger,
I think DC's fix is more to cover up the problem than to fix it. My '97 pinged and I had the computer flashed. It fixed the ping but I lost power and mpg. I am getting rid of the truck. My friend is in the middle of arbitration right now with his 99 quad cab because of the pinging problem. His hearing is tomorrow. He has in writting from several independent ASE mechanics that prolong pinging will cause engine damage. The trucks should run on 87 with out any problems. I use my truck to tow and haul stuff. I am not going to race it in the quarter mile therefore, I shouldn't have to put racing fuel in it to keep it running right.
When you talk to DC about this expect a long and dirty fight. They will blame it on everything that YOU have done and they will never admit that they made a mistake. I will let you know what happens at my friend's arbitration hearing.

Brian Lyttle
Old 02-24-2000, 03:57 AM
Dodge owner since 98

Brian:

Please tell us what happens. I bet some of us that are facing this problem are making notes/copies of what other owners are stating about DC, concerning this issue. We all want to make our case strong.

Old 02-24-2000, 04:07 AM
Inactive User

Angry

yep same story here as everyone else the fix is comming bull they dont plan on fixing our trucks fight it to the end ask fellow ram owners for emails to help your fight i asked here at this site and have about 150 responses already the factory rep is to call me tomorrow but im not holding my breath good luck email your complaint to add to my file keg@access995.com
Old 02-24-2000, 02:01 PM
Inactive User

Angry

Good luck, you will need it. My meeting was a joke, the DC rep blamed it on every thing but DC. I guess the closes thing to blaming them selves was the statement about the "special cams Dodge uses to make these engines a Magnum Engine". I'm getting ready to go back to arbitration again. Anyone that has had any problems with the ping please email me about it.

jhaga@3wave.com

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2000, 02:01 PM
Inactive User

ROGER AND BIGBLUERAM,
Okay here it goes. My buddy got done with arbitration yesterday. I don't have the full story because he was still really, really mad and he needed some time to cool off. Basically the DC rep was a complete jerk. He said the truck ran fine. I don't know the rep's name but, I will post it when I get the chance. I think he was the same one that Big Blue dealt with. Anyway, because the rep and my friend did not come to an agreement, the arbitrator will make a decision in 10 days. Why the arbitrator couldn't make up his mind there was beyond me. I will ask my buddy if it is okay to give out his e-mail address so y'all can talk directly to each other. I am really disappointed with DC. I am not going to do business with a company that treats its customers this badly. I am glad I found this all out before I went out to buy my next new truck. I buy a new dodge truck every four years but this year I am going over to ford. I guess I am just going to have to stick with my old charger and coronet and hope that DC gets their head out of their a**. It really hurts to say that.
Brian Lyttle.
P.S.
I will keep you posted.
Old 02-26-2000, 02:11 PM
Inactive User

Have seen where everyone has been having trouble with arbitration with DC. From personal experience it ain't just DC. Had along drawn out battle with Ford a couple of years ago, took about 7 months and numerous meetings but finally came out on top. My advice is try not to get upset (it clouds your thinking) just stick to your guns and keep fighting. All manufacturers will push you as far as they can and then some, luckily for me florida has a good lemon law. good luck to you guys.
Old 02-26-2000, 05:21 PM
Inactive User

Looks like I'm joining a sizable group here. My 99 1500 5.2 4x4 Quad Cab started pinging at around 4000 miles. When I took it to the dealers they said all was OK and gave me a card stating that it may be necessary to use higher grades of gas to avoid ping under heavy load and high temperatures. In ambient temps. of around 20 degrees below freezing here in Western New York recently, it still pings as the cruise maintains speed of the unladen truck on freeway gradients. Normal operation???
I'm just about to take it back for the ignition lead and plenum pan gasket TSB's to be performed, and see if that makes any difference.
This is my first DC vehicle. Not impressed so far.