Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-14-2000, 01:30 PM

Question

I am looking for an auxilary gas tank for 98 1500 4x4 cC SB. I want it to fit under the bed where the spare tire is currently located. It looks like a 30" square by 6" deep tank would fit very nicely. I used to have a aux gas tank from a place called Aux Fuel Systems that was located in the same place on my 85 Nissan King Cab and it effectively doubled the range. AFS appears to no longer be in business.

Any sites or companies that make aux gas tanks for the Ram?

Thanks,

Albin
Old 01-14-2000, 08:09 PM

Albin,
Aux. tanks must be a big thing down there in AL. I bought a 79 Crew Cab Dodge, in Birmingham, that had an aftermarket tank added to that exact location. I have the tank, it is a steel unit. If interested I would be willing to get rid of it. As far as where to locate a new one I would start by looking at RV places.
SJS440
Old 01-19-2000, 01:36 PM

I talked to a guy who runs MTS Inc. a company who makes plastic gas tanks for 4x4's. He said that I was the first one to ask for a Dodge Ram truck tank and at $60,000 to make the mold for the first tank, it wasn't going to be anytime soon.

Good idea to ask at the RV places. Most gas tank suppliers will make a tank on order.

Thanks,

Albin
Old 01-27-2000, 01:25 PM

SJS440,

How is your aux. gas tank hooked up and what engine, body type do you have?

Another potential source for aux gas tanks is the reacing community. There are several tanks that may work shown in the Summit Racing catalog. The trick is to get it to work with the Dodge Ram fuel pump and line system. The 98 Dodge Ram has an integral fuel filter/pump located right on top of the stock tank. It is also a pressurized system and there is no separate fuel return line.

My idea was to install the aux tank behind the axle, tee off of the main fill line so that I fill both tanks in parallel. Then use a separate electric fuel pump to fill the main tank via a switch near the drivers seat. Vent lines would also have to be connected to keep the whole thing in balance.

Anybody see anything wrong with what I plan to do??

Thanks,

Albin
Old 01-28-2000, 09:19 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Check these links out for an auxillary fuel tank that will fit the Ram. Transflow makes a kit specifically for the Ram, but it's very pricey.
www.rpm-tank.com (can order catalog online) www.i-atn.com/auto/atn/gastank.html www.transflow.com (very pricey kit) www.mtscompany.com

If your willing to give it a go without it being a kit and just need a tank, one of these places may have one that will fit you application.

------------------
Lead, follow or get Rammed!
Old 01-28-2000, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

You know what you could try? Look in the junkyards for a Ramcharger. It has a 36 gallon tank in the back because the spare in in the cab. I don't now if it will fit your truck (the rear axle in the R/c is further forward than the Ram), but it probibly won't be as expensive as new tank.
Old 01-31-2000, 01:49 PM

Transfer Flow has a very expensive +$1100 tank that fits the 8 foot bed only Ram. They also have that same tank for a Dodge RV for only $487. Go figure.

I called MTS and they said they had had only one call (mine) for a Ram tank. They make mostly Jeep and Chevy tanks. A new tank mold costs +$60K, so don't expect anything anytime soon.

Youknowme, What year Ramcharger should I look for?

Thanks,

Albin
Old 03-01-2000, 06:51 AM
Inactive User

You could find a 34g tank form a 2500 CC sb truck and put it in your truck, all the mounting brackets are the same but for some reason Dodge does not put the bigger tank in the 1500. You would need a 98 or newer tank and fuel pump module because they switched the fuel level sending unit output signal in 98.

[This message has been edited by KegBoy (edited March 01, 2000).]
Old 03-01-2000, 07:25 AM
Inactive User

Aero Tanks makes a 40 gallon replacement for the x-cab 1500, 55 gallon for all cabs 2500 and a 60 gallon for the diesel x-cab lwb. 1-800-783-4826
Old 03-01-2000, 08:23 AM

Thumbs up

JD's right on target, here's the link
http://www.aerotanks.com/dodge.htm

------------------
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Pete
Old 03-01-2000, 05:03 PM
Inactive User

I saw some nice stainless over the rail dual purpose tank/chests. Not what your looking for but its good to know your options. Aero Tech Labs. http://www.atlinc.com/

or American Tool Box & Fuel Tanks http://www.auxtank.com/

Blair@wot