Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-28-2000, 05:06 AM
Inactive User

Question

I've been searching everywhere and asking everyone about a set of headers for my ram. It's an '86 D150 with a 360. It has the air pump system, and I want to keep it, but can't find headers with the fittings for the air pump. Does anyone know a company that makes these? Someone told me dough thorley makes a set, but someone else told me that they don't, so i'm not sure. ANY help is appreciated.
Old 02-28-2000, 05:08 AM
Inactive User

What is an air pump system?

Justin
Old 02-28-2000, 08:15 AM

Cool

I have had your same problem. I own an 87 ram with the same Air Pump system. I have checked with Every hedder manufacture on the planet and headers for the Ram 318 or 360 with this air pump system DO NOT exist. To clearify what the air pump does: the cat converter needs extra air in order for it to work properly other wise it oxidizes from the exaust gases and you would end up buying a new cat every month. If you follow the routing on the Air Pump you'll see that there are two lines that go directly into the exaust manifolds. This is where the air is induced into the exaust system. It does not in any why go though the combustion chamber. My suggestion to you, if you really want to keep your pump is to buy a set regular set of headers and get in touch with a good welder who can weld on a couple of fittings for these lines. Or you could just take the pump and cats off which is what I did by way of a little loophole in the law around here. In 86 and 87 dodge produced rams with no cats. No cats, no need for an air pump. However emissions my be a little more strict in your area and you may not be able to get around them like I have been able to do. Best of luck!
Old 02-28-2000, 08:24 PM
Inactive User

Thanks. I actually don't have emissions testing in my county yet but should in the next couple years. I thought about just taking the pump off, but I am worried about passing the" sniffer" test if I need to in the future. I might try making my own fittings on a cheap set of headers in the spring. It suprises me that dough thorley makes headers for other engines with the fittings but not a chrysler small block.
Old 02-28-2000, 08:28 PM
Inactive User

Oh, one more thing. If I do remove the air pump will my cats still function normally, or should I forget them all together?
Old 02-28-2000, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

I had an 84 ram with all that stuff. I took the air pump off. Never had a problem. Once you get it off there is a pipe that runs to the manifiolds. Either plug the holes in the manifold or put headers on.
Old 02-29-2000, 06:52 AM

If you take your air pump off your cats will eventually become non-functional (and if they haven't been replaced in the last 14 years they are probably not doing anything anyway), like I stated before, you cats need the air from your pump in order to work properly (this is not specific to just these cats, but applies to all converters). They would just be wasting valuable air flow he he he. Here's what I would do in your situation. Take the air pump off (and save it), cut your cats out (toss), and buy a nice set of good flowing headders. By the time emissions reach your area you'll probably have to buy new cats anyway. When that happens, weld on some fittings, throw the pump back on, put some hi-flow cats on, give the truck a good tune-up and boom your through emissions and have a custom made, "legal" exaust system. Best of luck to you, Arthur
Old 04-06-2000, 03:55 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Well, I had given up a long time ago on finding a set of headers with the pump fittings, untill I found out that Doug Thorley DOES make these. But they are $360
I think i'm going to stick to my plans to weld my own fittings on a cheap set. I just thought i'd update in case anyone else was looking for these in the future.

------------------
86 D150: 2WD: 360(currently being restored)
85 ramcharger: 4x4: 318
94 sundance: 2.2L