Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-15-2000, 04:29 AM
Inactive User

Question

I recently had my rear end completely re-built by a local drive line shop. Since I was swapping from a 7 1/4 to an 8 3/4 I carried the parts in and they gave me back the entire rear end ready to install. While installing brake shoes and hardware, I find that the drum does not fit flush with the backing plate on the passenger side. After scratching my head and trying to figure out why I realized they installed the end play adjuster on the wrong side. Is there a difference in axle length between the two sides? Does anyone have dimensions? I know for a fact all the components are A-body. (housing, backing plates, drums, etc.) Is there any reason the drums would not fit flush? The drivers side has about a 1 millimeter gap between drum and backing plate, but the passenger side is about 5 millimeters. Any ideas please post. Thanks

[This message has been edited by eddy merckx (edited March 14, 2000).]
Old 03-15-2000, 05:38 AM
Inactive User

I'm pretty sure the adjuster goes on the passenger side. As for the gap I don't think I have ever looked at it. I would'nt worry about 4mm. Check the end play on the axle, maybe its too loose.