Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-14-2000, 10:35 PM
ram-man

Question

i have an 84 ramcharger with a 360 motor. i'm looking for a higher performance set of heads, but i'm not sure what to look for. it has EGR, but i'm not sure if that will affect head choice. i'm running an edelbrock performer intake manifold, and planning on installing the performer cam kit as well. i want to keep the low end power. any advice is gladly accepted. Also, i'm planning a rebuild and installing a 4" crank to up the displacement, is this a good idea?
Old 03-14-2000, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

Just do a port job on your heads and mill them .060 to get your CR up install some 340 X head valves (or similer) and that should get you some HP

------------------
<~~~~Goldduster~~~~>
1970 Plymouth Duster
Old 03-15-2000, 03:05 AM
Inactive User

get rid of the passenger car motor and put a BB stroker in it I only say that because thats what I am doing to my 84 ramcharger.
Old 03-15-2000, 04:39 AM
ram-man

i was considering a 440 swap, but i'm thinking it might be cheaper to make the 360 stroker instead. when i do that, i can get rid of the EGR system and hopefully make a bit more power. is it really that easy to put in the 440? you'd need a new tranny and various other parts wouldn't you? when you make the change, let me know how it went and about how much you spent, are you putting in a new engine or did you find one out of another truck? are you going to have any problems with emissions?
Old 03-15-2000, 06:02 AM

Regardless of the head choice, the low lift flow is critical. The longer the stroke, the faster the piston accelerates away from TDC. This requires the filling of a larger volume cylinder in the same period of time with respect to seat duration/lift.

A larger plenum will help the fill the cylinders faster also. I liked the looks of the new Air-Gap Performer RPM manifold from Edelbrock. It appears to have a nice sized plenum.

Low lift flow can be improved in almost any head with proper porting. Low lift flow can be achieved with nearly any valve size too. Many porters(AKA part sellers) will tell you that you have to purchase and fit oversized valves to improve low lift flow. Be careful of what you believe.

I am concerned with the cylinder wear that might be experienced with this long stroke crank. I don't know what rod length works with this combo. The higher thrust loadings have to increase wear, but I don't know if this would be significant. Maybe just something that you want to think about when selecting components.