Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-15-2000, 07:34 AM
Inactive User

I am going to purchase a 79 440 from a motorhome that has been bored .030 and i was wondering if anyone knew the strength of this block for performance use. thanks.
Old 03-15-2000, 08:19 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Devo08:
I am going to purchase a 79 440 from a motorhome that has been bored .030 and i was wondering if anyone knew the strength of this block for performance use. thanks.
i kinda thought big block production ended in 78....but maybe not for industrial or heavy duty....although there are wrranty blocks cast a few years after ....

if its an auto block.....should be as good as any......if its some heavy truck type cast......all the better...

may want to magnaflux check......as RV motors are usually tortured and run through the hottest weather for tons of miles
Old 03-15-2000, 02:18 PM

Unhappy

Well, if You plan to use it in performance setup, just check out how low the piston stays down the bore at TDC. Mine ´78 was 0.170" (yes, that piston stayed about 4mm down the bore at Top Dead Center!).

So no milling and shaving the heads is gonna help You get the compression up. You´re lucky to get over 9:1 with stock pistons.

And yes, You may change the pistons, but then the internals should be balanced, otherwise it´ll end up being just another vibrating engine :-(

So, in case of big deck height: add the cost of those new pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets and machine work.... well, I think You get the picture. Been there, done that :-(

Just my 2 cents.

[This message has been edited by BB 70 Challenger (edited March 16, 2000
Old 03-15-2000, 02:54 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Devo,
the Mopar Engines manual says that the 1976 & up 400s & 440s are a thinwall casting and shouldn`t be overbored more than .020, maybe you should have that block sonic checked before you use it. Hope this helps.