Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-18-2000, 02:42 PM
Inactive User

Was wondering how you liked them ? Like the performance ?

I know they make several applications for our RAMs

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."
Old 02-18-2000, 05:39 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I don't have them on my truck right now but do plan on putting them on it. A buddy has a set on his and it rides great. Wish the factory would put these on.
Old 07-20-2000, 03:41 AM
Inactive User

i used for six months,they arethe best shocks you can buy,they are soft when they have to be ,and firm when they sopose to,now i have the ranchos 9000 that came with the lift kit, and the ride its a little harshier than before,not a fair comparision because i have doble shock in front and one more leaf in the back, and cornering its not as good,and either is the braking.but i dont care now i have 315/75/16.with a minor fender modifications
Old 07-20-2000, 04:04 AM

I had the IAS on the rear to try them out and they were great. Saw the 9000's on sale and could'nt pass up a cheap chance. I would be willing to sell my pair for a steal.
Old 07-20-2000, 04:40 AM

Ram Mex,

Welcome here! I haven't seen your name here before. But it is very cool that we have a truly international chat room on the topic of our mutually loved and in some cases adored Ram trucks. There's someone from Canada, an American service man from Guam, another person from Scandinavia, Finland, I believe, and I think someone else from Europe, too.

By The Way, those sound like some pretty ferocious tires on your truck. You must get off-road a lot. How tall is your lift kit?

I heard the gasoline is very tough stuff in Mexico, hard on the engines and so forth. Any problems?
Old 07-23-2000, 03:56 PM
Inactive User

hi mean green,the tires that ihave in my truck are bfgoodrich at 315/75/16,and the lift its a rancho stage 2,3inch lift,and im traying to complete with some párts that comes in the warn kit,like the drop pitman,seway bar relocation brakets,and a trtacbar relocation bracket, i had to lightly modifi the fenders, it tookme half an hour to doit, and for the gasoline in mexico we have 93 octane, but in the road or small town some times you cant get it.and thats the places where is of road
Old 07-23-2000, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

I have had the Edelbrock IAS shocks on a 1995 CC 2wd 1500 for about two years now. I installed them myself. There were two mess-ups by Edelbrock in the installation kit: The rear shocks did not come with steel inner sleeves inside the urethane bushings to limit compression by the mounting bolt, and the holes in the front metal bushing washers were too small and had to be reamed out.

First thing I noticed after putting on the IAS shocks is that the 300 psi gas pressure fill in the shocks seemed to lift the truck about three quarters of an inch. Second thing I noticed was that the handling was indeed changed: Nose dive on hard braking was much reduced, as was squat on hard acceleration. Roll was reduced on corners, and the Edelbrock advertisement that you can go over speedbumps without an unsettling fore and aft 'wave dip' action afterwards is true.
But - the Edelbrock ad's claim about 'luxury' ride is a mostly hype. These IAS shocks are stiff. Let me repeat that: on a 2wd 1500 they are STIFF. The highway ride got stiffer and rougher - even though it is a more-in-control ride. Over time I have noticed that the ride varies with temperature - the hot summer ride is more comfortable than the cold winter ride. I guess this is due to oil viscosity. You might say that the IAS shocks are designed to keep performing well when driven hard - and give a rough ride when cold and driven easy. I have even thought about wrapping the upper shock body in some metal foil insulation to keep them a little warmer in winter to improve the ride.
The ride with the IAS eventually got to me and my Ram - rattles started appearing everywhere. I was riding on Goodyear HT 235/85R16 'E' rated tires and I changed those out to Bridgestone Dueler HL 245/75R16 'C'. That helped the ride alot. I then heard from some off-road Rammer's that removing the front sway bar made for an improved ride and better off-road articulation. I tied that and the ride improved even more. This is especially true when one front wheel hits a hole/bump and the other wheel doesn't. Roll in corners was still very good without the bar - and I guess that is due to the anti-sway features of the IAS shocks. I wouldn't advise removing a Ram's front sway bar without the IAS shocks on there to handle sway duties.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Monroe has copied the Edelbrock IAS shock Inertia Valve design with their Rancho RSV and Monroe Reflex shock and sell them for less. A Walker (owns Monroe and Rancho) employee told me that the RSV and the Reflex are the same shock with different valving - the Reflex is softer.
Here's link to a Reflex review:
http://www.wardsauto.com/article.php...22800951756414

If I were to buy shocks again I would seriously consider the Bilstein. The Ram and Dakota owners I know who went with Bilstein like them for both control and ride, and Kenne Bell says they tested all shocks and went with Bilstein - as did Hotchkiss Performance.

I have no links to Edelbrock, Walker, Bilstein, Kenne Bell or Hotchkiss.