Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-23-2000, 05:55 AM
Inactive User

Red face

I have ran my car with the 6al for about 3 hours worth and my battery is dead. It is a 1 year old batt. All electrical components should be good. The alt gauge was showing good during running.(exactly half, between + and -)

Heres the question, The original system, the alternator fiel output ran from the alternator, through the voltage regulator, through the ballast resistor, through the original ignition. Could it be that my alternator is not charging my battery because I completely bypassed the original ignition and ballast resistor?

How do you guys check to make sure the alternator is putting out enough amps and how do you hook up your voltage regulator after installing the msd. I need help as to where all these wires go!! Thanks!
Old 03-23-2000, 12:18 PM

Wink

Chris, fire up your car. Take the multimeter and check from the battery if it's getting power from the alternator or not. If not check the alternator end. The voltage output should be around 13.4 volts. If the alternator works but the power doesn't go to the battery, check www.msdignition.com and ask their tech for complete wiring diagram.

TeRo http://www.angelfire.com/mo/racevaliant

------------------
Old 03-23-2000, 07:06 PM
Inactive User

Question

How do you check for output on the alternator? Which of the 3 wires do you check?? Last time I ran my car the battery was only reading 11.5 volts.
Old 03-23-2000, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

Red face

Ok, Jumped the car and got 12.3 volts and dropping at the battery. Then Grounded the black lead on the multimeter, and checked all three wires coming out of the alternator, they all read 11.7 volts. Shot alternator right?? I was thinking about using the Tough Stuff 1 wire alternator with internal regulator, anyone ever use these?? Thanks.