Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-22-2000, 08:19 AM
Inactive User

Cool

i was wondering if any one has done a test to see what the best dist is for a bb mopar. ive been told that a mopar dist will get me the best performance but the msd pro billet sure looks inviting. any input would be grately appreacated, thanks,Rob

------------------
74 pro street cuda 446cu 600 hp 95 Ram sport 6 in lift 35/14.50 super swamper thornbirds
Old 03-22-2000, 08:04 PM
Inactive User

If it fires all the plugs, all the time at the right time, then there's no advantage either way. Some are easier to work on then others, but there isn't really a huge difference there.

Practically any distributor in good shape can get the job done, there is more of a difference in what kind of ignition amplifier you use, than there is in the distributor itself.

Pick one that has features you like, and one that's compatible with your amplifier, and go for it. Most of the time, they will need to be tinkered with (advance curve) to work the way you want them to anyway.
Old 03-22-2000, 08:31 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks Zippy i was thinking the same thing but was unsure i realize i have to play around with the advance curve to get max perf but i really didnt know if one dist does a better job or is more efficent than the other. thanks again,Rob

------------------
74 pro street cuda 446cu 600 hp 95 Ram sport 6 in lift 35/14.50 super swamper thornbirds
Old 03-22-2000, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

The big question is, if you are having crossfire problems because your aftermarket coil is putting out 60k volts. Then, you could take advantage of the MSD billet dist that has a wide body to keep the wires separated a bit on the cap. Other than that, I found the MP dist to be very stable and easy to work. It isn't as sensitive as the Mallory, which sometimes had "conniptions" and caused intermittent backfires. Make sure you use a dial back timing light and pinch off the vacuum advance when you set total timing. (should be about 32-35 degrees for hp motors). If it starts and idles well after that, you're almost in heaven. Then, check to see that all your advance is in by 2500rpm. The vacuum advance does'nt really affect performance, just cleans the plugs. If you want more, MSD and others sell electronic modules that plug in between the dist and the coil, and you can tune from there. MP even sells one tailor made for their unit.
Old 03-23-2000, 09:01 PM
Inactive User

My 446 ci has the MP w/mech tach drive and has worked great.
My 528 ci has MSD pro billet and it works great also. I like the MSD because of the buttons & springs for diff total advance and rate of advance.