Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-13-2000, 09:26 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Since I have just finished building my 550 horse bigblock prostreet 69 Coronet, I have started to think about building my 67 Fastback Cuda for fuelefficiency and cruising /daily driving.

It has an 8 3/4 with 2.73 gears and 318 kframe. What I am thinking is building a low compression 340 using either J heads, the new magnum heads or heads from a new 92+ ram/dakota. Then using a A500? overdrive tranny. Holley EFI Projection would be used to squeeze even more mpg.

The other option would be taking the whole drivetrain from a totaled ram/dakota with either the 5.2L or 5.9L and figuring out how to use that wiring schematic/computer. This was suggested by my pal who has a 94 ram and gets 20mpg(I think as Canada is in liters and Kilometers math is confusing to convert)with 3.90 gears and weighing over 4500lbs. With the CUda only weighing in at 3100 lbs and 3.23 at the most would be alot higher I believe.

Which one would you use and why?? Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Also this would make my car a COOLER and quicker daily driver than most of those pesky 5.0L on the road.

------------------
Put that Chevy in its place!!
Old 03-16-2000, 11:03 AM
Inactive User

Wink

I also have that idea for my dads 68 fastback cuda
My thinking was to use the whole unit from a newer truck,with computer, a lot easier to hook up,repair ect.I was also planning on using 3.55 or 3.73 gears.With the lighter weight gas milage would still be awsome, expecially with gas at 75 cents a liter.
And also possibility of a supercharger in the future.
I just hope when he gets rid of it he dosnt ask an arm and a leg for it, that way i can make a mean, lean crusin machine

------------------
remember have torches will make
Old 03-17-2000, 12:16 AM
Moderate anarchist

Don't count on the Holley Projection to do anything but lighten your wallet and aggravate you. been there, boxed the crap back up.

magnum heads and 92+ dakota/truck heads are the same animal. If you go the newer drivetrain swap get the FSM for the donor, it'll really help.

Steve

------------------
38 Plymouth P6
65 Plymouth Barracuda
87 Dodge Diplomat
89 Plymouth Caravan
96 Dodge Neon

"No quarter asked, none given" - Thunderstruck Racing
Old 03-22-2000, 03:31 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

Thunderstruck - Is the Holley Pro-jection a multi port set up or is it the "carb" replacement??
Old 03-22-2000, 06:12 AM
Inactive User

The Projection is a Carb style, actually throttle body injection like that would come on Chevy and Dodge trucks with efi.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc:
Thunderstruck - Is the Holley Pro-jection a multi port set up or is it the "carb" replacement??

------------------
Put that Chevy in its place!!
Old 03-22-2000, 08:36 AM
Inactive User

I have also had a Pro-Jection. There were features that I really liked, like the mileage (16 mpg in a high 12 sec. 440) and engine behaviour especially when cold. However, I had troubles with it too, some of them caused by the unit itself, and some because of the engine. I fought one year with it, and finally got all the units own problems solved, but at that point I was so fed up with it that I sold it and bought a carbureor shop built carb with the money.
Old 03-24-2000, 03:08 AM
Inactive User

I have gotten started on collecting parts for building a 340 shortblock anyway just to keep all options open might even pick up a set of J heads(any good?? or should I definitely go with magnum heads with the pistons built for low compression or at least flat tops). Have found crank, rods, pan, and windage tray all for 75 US. Just have to check out part number for steel crank before I go ahead.