Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-23-2000, 02:31 AM
Inactive User

Arrow

I'm a 17 year old highschooler lookin to hop on the classic mopar scene. I found a great car for sale but, don't know anyone with knowledge of these cars. Well, i'll give you some stats and tell me what you think.
1969 Plymouth Roadrunnr 383 4-speed
No power brks or steerng
Fairly claen paint from 1998 ,small scratches but nothing visible from distance, re-upulstered interior, needs new headliner, orginal sleeper wheels, 76000 miles, no rebuild but has always run, used as daily driver in 99, needs exhaust but not in a hurry, new clutch,tires, blah,balh,blah

Well you get the idea, he's ask 10900 or best what should I offer?
Old 03-23-2000, 02:48 AM
Inactive User

Check out the following link. The most recent prices listed are 97, but still a pretty good rule of thumb. It also describes the different classes of cars in order to help you out.
I bought a 67 Charger for 5K this past fall and it was in line with what this site valued it at.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mopared/Price.html
Good luck
Old 03-23-2000, 03:07 AM
Inactive User

11 grand for a so/so 383 roadrunner sounds like a colossal ripoff. in my opinion the only way a 69 roadrunner that was with original components (e.g. no rebuilt motor etc) is if it was a 440 six pack or better. you didn't mention whether it had bench or buckets which can make a diff, but still this sounds like way too much for me.

I would offer him 4500 max if it had buckets/console. if u have 11 grand to spend, you can get a much nicer mopar quite easily...
Old 03-23-2000, 04:30 AM
Inactive User

I'm not trying to start a flame war, honest! I'm in PA, MoparTeen is in MI. Anyone on the left coast can find nicer cars cheaper than us guys stuck in the rustbelt. I'd love to start a business hauling cars from there to here, I could make a few bucks and still provide decent cars at about half the price of what they go for locally. I have personally looked at cars full of bondo in the quarters, welded up frame, holes in floors, etc- but try to find anything else! These are the $2k to $4k cars around here. A nice car like MoparTeen described is out of line at eleven grand, but I'll bet it wouldn't go for much less than $7500- That's for a 383, plain jane. Add options, make it a console with buckets, ask for $10k, take $9k.
Like I said, not trying to start a war, but that's the world we live in!
Old 03-23-2000, 08:25 AM
Inactive User

Cool

I forgot to look at that "regional" aspect of it!

Over the past years even over here the prices have jumped up a bunch on old cars. What ever happened to the days of someone owning a car they don't know as anything other than "an old car that hasn't run for years." When I was 17 (5 years ago) I was lucky enough to run across a 1965 Valiant Signet (2dr ht w 273 auto) that the lady was asking 400 for and I ended up getting for 250. Its harder and harder to find these deals anywhere I suppose.

It seems like since old car prices have gone up, there are more and more cars being considered "classic" by their owners so they can jack the prices up.
Old 03-23-2000, 10:41 PM

Thumbs up

Hey MoparTeen...If it's what you want and you've got the money then go for it. Thats what I did. Not saying I have a lot of money, I saved a very long time. Its not a numbers car, just a fun car. In 1975 I bought a 69 RR 383-4 speed I paid 600 bucks for, in great shape to. In 1999 I paid 10k for my 70RR 440-4 and I love it. Any 30 year old car will have things you may need to have repaired, and a lot of stuff you may want to do to it. By the way I have a friend down the road from me (Florida) with a 68 RR 383-4 4 speed numbers car 60,000 miles, to the last detail, beautiful show car for 10,500...If your interested reply back and I will e-mail the name and number. Did I confuse your judgement some more...haha...hope not! A word of advice I think all will agree, take a strong small magnet wrapped with cloth and check places like just below the rear glass between it and the trunk lid, around the wheel wells and the quaters and just below the scuff plates at the doors.

Long live Mopar!

Bill
Old 03-24-2000, 12:06 AM
Inactive User

Sounds a bit high to me but I'm in canada. I paid $3600 cdn for my 69 in 1989 but it wasn't even the stock size motor (440) Just goes to show that location is everything. I would definitely get someone in your area who knows mopars to look at it with you. Track down a mopar club or go to your local speed shop and try to get the name of the resident mopar guru. If you really have that kind of money to spend, I would look into that florida car. But if you were to get that car, take good care of it, these cars aren't replaceable, remember that. Good luck either way.
Old 03-24-2000, 02:53 AM

Right on Kid! Mopar Rules! But I'd pass on that one. More than likely you will want to spent every last dime on it after you have it, so I would opt for a much cheaper mopar, mabe make a clone,or something you could pile your friends into without having to say " Hey, watch the seats,I just had them done, and get that drink out of here!" Most 318 cars are reasonable and have the same body style as the big boys. Spend $3000 and put the rest into a Mutual fund! I am totally serious. When you have your first house, then look for a better car. 383 4speed? Sounds like too much temptation to race,or show off. If you get it, you will do just that. Save your money and get a 318 car, rub it out, get 18mpg, style, and if you still have to, it can burn rubber bigtime with 391s or anything in an open rear diff. They are alot of fun, but you are just really starting to live,so take it slow and easy. Didn't mean to lecture you, I was just thinking back to your age when I had bought a '69 Roadrunner 4speed. Highschool, fast cars...scary!!! 140mph, bad rear seals,slower freeway traffic,...very scary!!!

[This message has been edited by toolman (edited March 23, 2000).]
Old 03-24-2000, 10:39 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

Hey guys thanks for the help but, I think I can handle a 383. Currently I drive an 89 Camaro 350 with a stick that I was lucky enough to have picked up by my parents. THANKS DAD!!
And regarding the drag racing, I don't think I'll ever try it on the sreet, A kid in my english class died when he drove his Trans Am into a tree while racing. Now that's scary!
I've already checked it for body filler and tere was none to be found. You guys out west have it made! If anyone put car like this for sale under 7000 it would be sold even before he even but the Sign in the window!
Well, you guys help out al lot. I think you've got a new frequent visiter to Mopar Chat!!!!
Old 03-24-2000, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

Some more stats on the car:

65,000 orginal miles
Bench seats new vinyl
As I said, no filler
#'s Match
Orginal 8-track+radio
New dash
New progauge speedo, and Tach

Old 03-25-2000, 01:11 AM

Cool

So it sounds like you are going to buy it anyway. Don't forget a '69 roadrunner big block, without power steering or power brakes doesn't handle anything an '89 comaro! You want this car so bad, just like I did when I got mine for $1,300 I'm sure you are going to love it. Good luck to you and let us know what you end up paying for it!
Old 03-25-2000, 03:12 AM
Inactive User

Trust me, those would be the first two additions to the car. And might I mention that I'm not like other high-school punks looking for a "pimp" ride. Instead I just want is some good old classic mopar muscle.