Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-25-2000, 05:29 AM
toddd

Unhappy

does any one know the easiest/best way to resurface those "340" exhaust manifolds?. most machine shops don't want to try because they can't secure them down properly. My only alternative is a flat file and a straight edge. Any suggestions?.
Old 03-25-2000, 01:53 PM

GO TO ANOTHER MACHINE SHOP IMMEDIATLY AND NEVER GO BACK TO THE ONES THAT GAVE YOU THAT ANSWER!. If any TRUE machine shop with toolmakers (note that I said toolmakers and not general machinists), cant figure out how to fixture/stage, or hold any work piece they should be making doughnuts!. They are an embarresment to the machine world. There are some shop owners that dont want the liability of doing something like this but thats still a bunch of crap since they could have asked you to sign a "waiver of liability". The only real excuse any shop should have given you is that their work load is too heavy now and then given you a time frame that they could work it in, irregardless or possible expense for fixturing or setup. My advise is to keep on searching and even possibly try a performance shop.
Is there any other shop owners or toolmakers out there that will admit that you cant figure out how to hold a piece of iron with holes in it and dust flycut a surface to make it flat? I bet not.
lets hear from some craftsmen out there.
Good luck with your search....DAVE

------------------
Old 03-25-2000, 03:50 PM
Inactive User

My Brother and a friend are Tool makers. It comes in handy for some custom machining and parts. My friend surfaced his 360 manifolds. I even think he did the exhaust surface on the heads. It likely wasn't easy but it can be done.
Old 03-25-2000, 04:27 PM

Wink

FYI there a alot of ways to skin the cat here and they would be too numerous to mention all of them. Mounting the head to adjustable angle plates or a sine plate works best and gives the most versitility. This and having the ability that the mill has of changing the angle of the head will create the disired result. There are 3 surfaces that can be used for staging so it will be easy. Any good shop would know how to do this and an HP engine shop will have custom fixturing already for your project and probably will be more cost effective also since most of your money that you spend will be for the fixuring and setup of the part, not the actual time it takes to cut them. Pick a reputable enging shop and your problem will be quickly solved. If there is no shop close to you then pick up a copy of Hemmings and look. You can also search the net. Try asking someone on this site where to go to get this done. These guys are the Pros.....DAVE

------------------
Old 03-26-2000, 03:29 AM

IMHO, resurfacing the exhaust face of the cylinder heads is far easier to setup then a pair of exhaust manifolds.

However, it is not that it can't be done, just that the setup time might be so long without special tooling that the shop didn't want to scare you with an estimate over $100.

------------------
440 Jim
E-Body Fish